» Online Users: 1,601
2 members and 1,599 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 01-25-2005, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Soldier's Perspective in Iraq

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...680555557.html

Interesting article and certainly goes against what a lot of the media wants us to see portrayed over there.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Of course it's going to be different from the media's coverage of Iraq - after all he's "in country" so his perspective is very different (as are his sources)... however his article is just as onesided as the media he rages against

Some of his assertations or allegations are off or just wrong... I don't know where he's getting his info about Fallujah enemy combatant casualties but it's off by about 500 from the UK, Janes, and IRC that I've seen. As for the media not showing anything about Margaret Hassoon - no they didn't really before her death because of a request by the family and government; hoping that in this case the lack of media attention help negotate her release... after her death I remember seeing it on the front page and being a lead story.

I'm sick of the 'Hawks' going on and on about how the "Liberal" media isn't telling the truth about Iraq, while the 'Doves' complain that not enough people are hearing the truth... the problem is source and perspective not a grand conspiracy by the media (from both sides).

From an outsider looking in, at the media coverage in the US of Iraq as compared to the media coverage from international sources - I'd have to say that if you watch more than one source you are getting pretty accurate reporting of events - at least as the rest of the world (that has a free media) sees them on the news. If you watch Fox and CNN you are getting pretty much the same picture as the rest of the world...

He complains that the media is telling only one side of the story... ironically in a piece that tells only one side as well. The information that he would be recieving through official channels would of course differ from what he sees on CNN - but that doesn't mean that the "official" information isn't manipulated in the same way as CNN's is as well... information control and morale are two primary concerns for branches within Military Intelligence - troops in the field always recieve "positive" information or news, in measures much much higher than "negative", for the simple reason it is harmful to morale - it happened in the American Civil War, the Great War, World War Two, and Vietnam - in "country" news always is more rosey that "home" news, for the simple fact that psotive news stories are played up in "country".

PS> One thing I did find interesting was that he plugged Al-Jazeera as being easier to convince to do a "people" story

"Cave ab homine unius libri"