Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,143
1 members and 1,142 guests
Xidelt

Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I need a little advise...

Okay, so I was initiated into Gamma Phi Beta and everything. Went through all the new mem. stuff. It was the end of the semester and the school miscalculated how much I owed them and needed a lot of money in two weeks. So, unexpectendly I had to leave at the end of that semester. My chapter made my go alumnae and I transfered to a local colllege. Now, I'm moving down to Florida. There's a chapter at the school I will be transferring to in a year. Do I try to become involved? Am I allowed to participate in anything that they do? Could I even rejoin the sorority as an active? Or, do I just ignore the chapter together? I really miss my sisters and everything. I would most definatly appreciate any advise you could give. Thanks for your time! <3
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I may be wrong, but I believe you can PETITION to be admitted as an active, but it will be up to the chapter decide if they want to take you. If they don't, or if you decide not to affiliate, you will continue to be alum.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand "made you go alum". If you did not go back to the school of your initiation but went to a school without a chapter you did indeed become an alumna - but the chapter wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Gamma Phi does require a vote of the chapter if you wish to affiliate. I would double check the steps you need to take by calling IHQ. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

This was back in the dark ages, but I transferred and affiliated at another Gamma Phi Beta chapter. I wrote to the Chapter President and House Manager the spring before, and made arrangements to live in the house that upcoming fall. I think they gave me some privileges I really shouldn't have had, but they were very welcoming. I participated in recruitment, chapter meetings (but couldn't vote), etc. The chapter voted on my affiliation, which was approved by IH, and I went through the official affiliation ceremony that winter. It was a surprise, and it is one of my best Gamma Phi Beta memories. At that point, I was an official member of the chapter and could vote. I blended right into my new chapter and served on exec. the next year. I loved both my chapters, and I keep in touch with sisters from both groups. We had another member affiliate from a different chapter the year after me. I would strongly encourage you to look into it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Pet peeve: you're asking for advice, not "advise."

You've gotten some excellent advice here, and I wish you the best with transferring your affiliation, should you choose to pursue it!