GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,609
0 members and 1,609 guests
No Members online

Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Gift ideas for sister travelling abroad?

My younger sister is spending second semester abroad. She's leaving for Austria in the middle of the month, and I wanted to give her some kind of going away present...any suggestions? Did anyone spend time abroad and have something that they were really thankful they brought with them/didn't bring but wish they had? Thanks!

ETA: Sorry for the typo in the subject line!

Last edited by ThetaDancer; 01-02-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

If its a real little sister, maybe see if your parents could go in with you on a big or bigger memory card for a camera, or even a camera if she doesn't have one. I went to Australia three years ago, and I received a journal from my little sister that I wrote in every day there. Or even just something useful if she doesn't have it - a power adapter, phone cards, or a small photo album of her favorite friends and family at home.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely a voltage adapter, also known as an ac dc power adapter, foreign voltage adapters, travel adapters plugs, electrical converter, foreign power adapter, universal voltage adapter, adaptor for uk, adaptor for asia, foreign power converter, travel electrical adaptor, adaptor plugs, ac adapter, dc adapter, power adapter, variable voltage adapter, 110v 220v voltage adapter, 220v 110v voltage adapter.

A cellphone with international capabilities (fwiw, an English one doesn't always work in other European countries).

At a photography store, you can usually get a sticky address side of a postcard, from which she can make her own postcards from photos she takes.

I'll stop there...
Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

A jar of peanut butter to that she can take with her! I know it sounds really lame now, but all of my friends who've studied abroad have craved it like crazy. I tried sending it in a care package to one of my friends, and because it weighs so much, the shipping rate for it was just crazy.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatartare View Post
A jar of peanut butter to that she can take with her! I know it sounds really lame now, but all of my friends who've studied abroad have craved it like crazy. I tried sending it in a care package to one of my friends, and because it weighs so much, the shipping rate for it was just crazy.
Good answer! My uncle used to travel weekly, and he practically lived on peanut butter & crackers for years! Sometimes, the local food just doesn't agree with one's system.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I could have sworn I saw Penut Butter when I was in France (but then again - who needs penut butter when you have Nutella?? ), do they not have it in other parts of Europe?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I could have sworn I saw Penut Butter when I was in France (but then again - who needs penut butter when you have Nutella?? ), do they not have it in other parts of Europe?
They have it, but apparently it doesn't taste as or as "authentic" as American peanut butter.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

How about a nice journal so she can record her memories?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

A Eurail pass - to get the "student deal", you need to buy them on North American soil, not European soil. Talk to a travel agent about this.
She might not have tonnes of time, but there are different options. The more extravagent the pass, the more $$$$$$$.

Also, if she is a contact lens wearer, tell her to stock up on solution here. When I was in Germany in 1993, contact lens solution was "sehr teuer". 27 Deutsch marks was the going rate (yes, it's Euros now).
Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatartare View Post

Provided that she isn't allergic.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
TRUE! Here's the deal. You CAN find it in some countries...definitely in the UK. But it is NOT GOOD. It isn't as creamy. It's actually kinda gritty and not nearly as sweet. My BF sent me a jar of Jif as a gift, and a sister brought me a jar when I met her in Italy, and then BF brought me another jar when he came to visit. It was always sooo welcomed.

But...and I know this is going to be "tacky" to some...but what I needed most when I got abroad was MONEY. Paying on a pre-payed cell phone, food, transport, etc etc was a big hit to the ol' pocket book. Especially since the exchange rate was horrendous when I first arrived. So a gift of $$ is always appreciated...maybe one of those prepayed Visa's or Discover Cards (note: not AMEX...really not as widely accepted as the other two).
Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

-I got several journals as going away presents when I left for Italy. BUT...I found a ton of really nice ones in Rome and Florence that I actually preferred to the gifts I received.

-Travel alarm clock. This is something that I actually managed to remember, but it's good to have at least one.

-Some of the major health & beauty brands are either unavailable or stupidly expensive in Europe, like Clinique. A semester's supply of her staples would be a good idea, unless she's not choosy or doesn't have sensitive skin and can use anything.

-The deodorants were a little weird.

-Phone cards are usually cheaper in the host country. It was cheaper for me to buy the little 5 Euro cards (something like 250 minutes a card) from the tobacco store around the corner than to use the Sprint phone card my parents had given me.

-Batteries. The major brands are expensive in some parts of the Continent.

In short? Something that she can't get over there (either due to price or brand), something that's easy to pack, and something she'll actually use.

I actually got a ton of stuff before I studied abroad, and before I did my SE Asia tour, but most of stayed back stateside because it was impractical for me to take along.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
-Some of the major health & beauty brands are either unavailable or stupidly expensive in Europe, like Clinique. A semester's supply of her staples would be a good idea, unless she's not choosy or doesn't have sensitive skin and can use anything.
Oooh! I had forgotten about that. I remember paying about 11 Euro for a bottle of foundation....not even Clinque, but the run of the mill drug store kind. Definitely a stock up on the daily items is a good idea.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raggann03
The one thing I did not have or think to bring was a phone card. I phoned home way more than I thought I would and spent tons of money. Also I would suggest she stock on those little things she takes for granted but uses frequently, all of which has already been suggested

The greatest way to combat chaos is with competence
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
-The deodorants were a little weird.
Yes - that I do remember, because I ran out and had to buy some in Paris. I don't really know how to describe the difference, though.