Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,503
2 members and 1,501 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Banned

Is your job being sent abroad?

Lots of people work in IT and their jobs are being sent abroad.

How do you feel about this?

Are you in IT?

-Rudey
Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, some of these jobs are coming back to the US. So many people got fed up w/ the poor quality of the customer service, that enough customer complaints forced the call-centers abroad to be shut down.

edited for clarity

Last edited by WCUgirl; 09-20-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Actually, some of these jobs are coming back to the US. So many people got fed up w/ the poor quality of the customer service, that enough customer complaints forced the call-centers abroad to be shut down.

edited for clarity
Not really. But then again, it's not just about call centers.

If you want to talk about call centers, given the fact that India and the Phillipines bulked up on them and are growing more and more, then what you say makes little sense. Some companies may have, but most haven't.

Moving beyond that, IT jobs are moving straight out into other countries. People working in consulting even are worried since 3 of the largest Indian outsourcing giants either developed their own consulting arms or bought out American consulting companies.

-Rudey
Old 09-20-2004, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

edited for clarity
I heard that Dell is bringing their customer service back for exactly that reason.I would be interested to know whether or not it's true.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Not really. But then again, it's not just about call centers.

If you want to talk about call centers, given the fact that India and the Phillipines bulked up on them and are growing more and more, then what you say makes little sense. Some companies may have, but most haven't.

Moving beyond that, IT jobs are moving straight out into other countries. People working in consulting even are worried since 3 of the largest Indian outsourcing giants either developed their own consulting arms or bought out American consulting companies.

-Rudey
Um, yes really. Microsoft did, and as the previous poster said, it's been rumored that Dell will be doing so. I'd say Dell and Microsoft are two pretty large companies, so that would equal quite a few jobs (again, didn't say all, just quite a few).

But I agree, it's not just about call centers. I have no knowledge either way about consulting jobs.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by midwesterngirl
I heard that Dell is bringing their customer service back for exactly that reason.I would be interested to know whether or not it's true.
i called dell the other day to order a printer. i'm a pretty patient person but i couldn't understand a damn thing the woman was saying and was almost ready to hang up and go buy my printer at a store. i was so frustrated
Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by midwesterngirl

Its been rumoured that Dell is bringing the agents from India here to the US for intensive training sessions before sending them back to India to actually take the calls.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't have it both ways, folks

Americans are spoiled - we seem to think that we should be paid well above market value for a job and then complain when goods and services cost more.

American consumer demand for cheaper goods and services coupled with American worker demand for higher wages creates an environment where businesses look outside our borders to solve the issue.

I don't blame companies for going overseas to fill positions. When American workers make themselves more attractive either by providing a work ethic and quality far superior to that of competing nations OR lower their pay standards, then companies will look back to the US.

As a hiring manager that hires college graduates for entry level financial services positions, I am continually astounded at the lack of work ethic that I encounter through the interview process and the level of sense of entitlement that exists. What happened to paying people what they are actually worth???? If you give me 110% everyday, I will reward you, if you are a slacker, why should I go out of my way to pay you any more than what you are worth.

If Dell has to pay their help desk employees $35,000 per year - who ultimately pays that salary - the consumer. If that same position in India costs Dell $20,000, that's $15k that doesn't have to be passed on to the consumer. If Dell isn't happy with the level of service provided by Indian employees (as shown by lower customer satisfaction levels) then Dell may be willing to bring jobs back to the US IF they know that they can improve service by hiring US employees. At some point, Dell will do a cost / benefit analysis and will look for a breakeven point between cost and customer satisfaction/quality. The same sort of evaluation that the American Auto Industry has had to do.

It's all about the bottom line. Quit whining, do a great job, don't make demands of your employer that you aren't worth - or they will find a cheaper alternative. There are very few people that cannot be replaced.

And Dell has brought back some of their major accounts customer service/help desk but the bulk will remain in India. In fact, some old co-workers of mine spent time in India putting in new quality processes for the Dell India phone center.

Last edited by AlphaXiGirl; 09-20-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Um, yes really. Microsoft did, and as the previous poster said, it's been rumored that Dell will be doing so. I'd say Dell and Microsoft are two pretty large companies, so that would equal quite a few jobs (again, didn't say all, just quite a few).

But I agree, it's not just about call centers. I have no knowledge either way about consulting jobs.
Why don't you show me what jobs Microsoft stopped outsourcing and how many there are.

If you want to play a numbers game, show some numbers.

-Rudey
Old 09-20-2004, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Can't have it both way, folks

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaXiGirl
Americans are spoiled - we seem to think that we should be paid well above market value for a job and then complain when goods and services cost more.

American consumer demand for cheaper goods and services coupled with American worker demand for higher wages creates an environment where businesses look outside our borders to solve the issue.

I don't blame companies for going overseas to fill positions. When American workers make themselves more attractive either by providing a work ethic and quality far superior to that of competing nations OR lower their pay standards, then companies will look back to the US.

As a hiring manager that hires college graduates for entry level financial services positions, I am continually astounded at the lack of work ethic that I encounter through the interview process and the level of sense of entitlement that exists. What happened to paying people what they are actually worth???? If you give me 110% everyday, I will reward you, if you are a slacker, why should I go out of my way to pay you any more than what you are worth.

If Dell has to pay their help desk employees $35,000 per year - who ultimately pays that salary - the consumer. If that same position in India costs Dell $20,000, that's $15k that doesn't have to be passed on to the consumer. If Dell isn't happy with the level of service provided by Indian employees (as shown by lower customer satisfaction levels) then Dell may be willing to bring jobs back to the US IF they know that they can improve service by hiring US employees. At some point, Dell will do a cost / benefit analysis and will look for a breakeven point between cost and customer satisfaction/quality. The same sort of evaluation that the American Auto Industry has had to do.

It's all about the bottom line. Quit whining, do a great job, don't make demands of your employer that you aren't worth - or they will find a cheaper alternative. There are very few people that cannot be replaced.

And Dell has brought back some of their major accounts customer service/help desk but the bulk will remain in India. In fact, some old co-workers of mine spent time in India putting in new quality processes for the Dell India phone center.

Word.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Can't have it both way, folks

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
Word.
Will Lexmark printers be cheaper when your position is given to someone in India? That's a question very worthy of an answer.

-Rudey
Old 09-20-2004, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Can't have it both way, folks

Quote:
Will Lexmark printers be cheaper when your position is given to someone in India? That's a question very worthy of an answer.

-Rudey

Did you create this thread just so that you can harass me? Now, THAT is a question worthy of an answer.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't have it both way, folks

Quote:
Did you create this thread just so that you can harass me? Now, THAT is a question worthy of an answer.
Umm no. Get over it. I want cheap Lexmark printers though. You are making this thread about you. Get over yourself and let us talk about those people in IT who may be losing their jobs.

-Rudey
Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't have it both way, folks

Quote:
Umm no. Get over it. I want cheap Lexmark printers though. You are making this thread about you. Get over yourself and let us talk about those people in IT who may be losing their jobs.

-Rudey

I didn't make this thread about me, you are the one who just personally attacked me. Maybe you shouldn't harass me & I won't have to call you out on it.

By the way-Lexmark printers are very inexpensive. Find a Wal-Mart & you'll find an inexpensive Lexmark printer.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't have it both way, folks

Quote:
I didn't make this thread about me, you are the one who just personally attacked me. Maybe you shouldn't harass me & I won't have to call you out on it.

By the way-Lexmark printers are very inexpensive. Find a Wal-Mart & you'll find an inexpensive Lexmark printer.
1) Nobody harassed you. If you could stop making accusations for one second, you'd have more credibility.

2) I don't shop at Wal-Mart. That's for poor people from rural areas. I don't even know where one is.

3) Would it mean cheaper for us if your job was given to someone in India since they have a lower wage?

You don't like this thread, then don't read it or post in it. In another thread you went around lying, cursing, and insulting people. Just treat us with some respect

-Rudey