Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,113
3 members and 1,110 guests
aggieAXO

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Chartering for Winston Salem State University.

Tau Chi chapter at Winston Salem State University in Section 79 (western NC) is scheduled to charter tomorrow (June 26th). I just thought that I would start the congratulations now!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
Actually, it's a RE-charter, not a new charter...

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Not that it makes much of a difference.

Congrats to Tau Chi.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

agreed

It is a rechartering.

Info from wssu website...

Alpha Phi Omega Fraternity, Inc.
Malinda Spencer
spencermf@wssu.edu
Shannon Daye
sdaye024@wssu.edu

Also...
One of the recharterers is at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tau-Al....Lovely?v=wall
Old 06-26-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

it makes no difference- and it is different at the same time.

The process is the same, just that the students know what their chapter designation will be from the get-go.

At the ceremony, there is a charter and re-charter certificate given.

(I know that Senurset I and nahraht know this - just clarifying for others)

Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Small differences...

I'd say that there are small differences in what the Historian of the group (looking backwards as well) and Corresponding Secretary (contacts with chapter alumni including invitations to the rechartering event) do.

I'd also be a *little* surprised (and disappointed) if a chartering application for recharter didn't include either information on the previous incarnation of the chapter or information on how they tried to research it. However, I agree that in some cases it may not be possible to get much information. (Beta Omega chapter chartered in 1939 and went inactive in 1940).
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

@nahrat: be surprised and disappointed then. There are no requirements for this at all currently.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'd say that there are small differences in what the Historian of the group (looking backwards as well) and Corresponding Secretary (contacts with chapter alumni including invitations to the rechartering event) do.

I'd also be a *little* surprised (and disappointed) if a chartering application for recharter didn't include either information on the previous incarnation of the chapter or information on how they tried to research it. However, I agree that in some cases it may not be possible to get much information. (Beta Omega chapter chartered in 1939 and went inactive in 1940).

I just learned two days ago that we have something like this in the extension process for APhiA.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quala67 View Post
@nahrat: be surprised and disappointed then. There are no requirements for this at all currently.
I'm really torn here. I'd like to see it done, but having different requirements for Rechartering vs. Chartering groups doesn't seem right...

Did WSSU or Norfolk State include anything about the prior history of the chapter?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

From my knowledge Norfolk didnt have much information about the prior history of Phi Mu. They had the original charter, but not much else. The school didnt keep any records and contact with older Brothers wasnt easy.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiQuetieACE View Post
From my knowledge Norfolk didnt have much information about the prior history of Phi Mu. They had the original charter, but not much else. The school didnt keep any records and contact with older Brothers wasnt easy.

Makes you wonder whether we are adequately training new brothers how to deal with potentially hostile members of the chapter they may encounter post-chartering.

There are so many best practices among other organizations that we just simply do not avail ourselves to.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Not Easy

I've spent about the last half hour trying to do web research on Alpha Phi Omega at Norfolk prior to it being declared inactive and the web just isn't the place to find this.

For starters, the only yearbooks that I can find online for NSU are very recent (checking both the school and e-yearbooks). I can't find much in the online newspaper archives though there is some. Neither is there much useful from the web archives of the school newspaper (which only goes back to 2007)

Also, although the charter wasn't revoked until 1992, the most recent initiation date in the alumni database from prior to 1992 is in 1984. Either the National Office hasn't put more recent in, or the chapter wasn't talking to the National Office for a long time prior to the charter being revoked (both are entirely possible).

Now on campus, this might be easier, between yearbooks kept by the school school newspapers kept by the school and the school alumni office, but that's a whole different story.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Makes you wonder whether we are adequately training new brothers how to deal with potentially hostile members of the chapter they may encounter post-chartering.

There are so many best practices among other organizations that we just simply do not avail ourselves to.
And that *definitely* varies from one extension effort to another. Unfortunately, with *few* exceptions that split is going to be HBCU vs. not HBCU.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cjburris93 Send a message via Yahoo to cjburris93
I was glad to hear this. Tau Chi had recently gone inactive at the time I pledged, so I'm happy to know that they have returned.