GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,470
3 members and 1,467 guests
Cookiez17, gatordeltapgh, PrettyBoy

Old 09-15-2001, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry How do YOU rate Your internet provider?

I'm not at all pleased with the Cable modem my mom has. When it started out it was wonderful, and fast as I don't know what...but then, It stopped.!!

All of a sudden it slowed down a great deal, then it has problems with AOL im, and it's not worth half the price.

I'm curious, what provider do you use? Are you satisfied?
Old 09-15-2001, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow ISP

I have Bell South. I'm basically satisfied. If you go with the DSL connection, make sure you are in close proximity to its transformers/transistors or something another. If you are far away, you will constantly get booted. Yet, you can surf the net and talk simultaneously. IT COSTS MORE, TOO!

Its dial-up feature is cool beans, too. I haven't had any problems with it. I only have to transfer may calls to my cell.

I like it better than AOL.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Road Runner

I've had Road Runner (internet via cable) and I've been pleased. It runs a little slow at times, but I've always contributed that to my old computer.

Anyway, it can be expensive, so I've been looking into other options. Has anyone heard anything about Earthlink?
Old 09-15-2001, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have Earthlink

Earthlink is ok. I like it. The only downside ( and I just need to call them) is that if you are idle for 20 minutes it disconnects you.

It used to be shady at first just cutting me off all willy nilly but I showed it who's the boss and it learned to stop cutting me off.

I still use my Internet Explorer although Earthlink has its own internet explorer type mechanism.

I have the dial up of Earthlink but I think it has a DSL system as well.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 7 and that is just because of the idle thing.
Old 09-15-2001, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I received a year of MSN free with my computer. Even though it has a very bad rating, I have never had a problem with it. It even keeps me online when I have been idle for hours.

The best dial-ups actually are local dial-ups. You can find them in the phone book. They are better because they are cheaper, more flexible, and because you are closer to the transistor, you are more likely to a have better online experience.

I know many people with a Verizon Cable Modem. They have been pleased with the service. But $40 a month is too much for me since I am really only online on the weekends.
Old 09-15-2001, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
That's how much ours is also ~ it's thru Time Warner Cable.

Thanks for the info about Earthlink CT4.
Old 09-16-2001, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Earthlink

I, too, have Earthlink. I am very happy with it thus far. Also, you get a month free if you refer someone. CT4, I know how to fix your problem but I need to know if you use the Earthlink Dialer to connect. I will try to remember how to fix it and I will let you know. It is a control panel somewhere or a tools or options menu or something...
Old 05-28-2002, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been thinking.. .

. . .that when I move next month I will attempt to get the Road Runner or DSL. However, I need more feedback.

For those of you with a cable modem and DSL, I need to know the following:

**HOW MUCH IS IT??!?!?!

That is really my major concern but anything else you think I would need to know, speak now or forever hold your peace (oops sorry I was daydreaming about my wedding. ) Seriously though what are the benefits of your service? Are there any through the phone companies now instead of me having home phone service + cell + internet can I have home phone service/internet + cell bills only?
Old 05-28-2002, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I have Earthlink too! I like it ok.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I use RCN for my home phone, cable and DSL connection. I have their platinum package which is $140 a month. The package includes unlimited local calls and $.07 a minute long distance 24 hours a day, all of the basic cable channels plus all of the premium channels (i.e. all the Showtimes, HBOs, Starz etc...) and unlimited internet access. Their service is ideal for me because, like you, I was sick of paying 5 different bills for 5 different services. I'm not sure where you live, but you can go to RCN.com and enter your zip code to see if they offer service in your area.
If you're only looking for DSL, I think the price is around $55 a month.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy That sounds perfect

Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled
I use RCN for my home phone, cable and DSL connection. I have their platinum package which is $140 a month. The package includes unlimited local calls and $.07 a minute long distance 24 hours a day, all of the basic cable channels plus all of the premium channels (i.e. all the Showtimes, HBOs, Starz etc...) and unlimited internet access. Their service is ideal for me because, like you, I was sick of paying 5 different bills for 5 different services. I'm not sure where you live, but you can go to RCN.com and enter your zip code to see if they offer service in your area.

I just checked and they don't have it in either Ohio or NC. I am too because your package sounds perfect.

Someone told me about this site and it rates DSL, Cable, Satellite and Wireless. I learned that Earthlink does have a cable modem in Charlotte which is .

http://www.dslreports.com
Old 05-28-2002, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled
This sounds great, but like CT4 said, too bad it is not offered in NC. I have a cable modem through Adelphia, the local cable company, which is included in my cable package(this includes all of the basic cable channels plus all of the premium channels for example all the Showtimes, HBOs, Starz, Maxes, etc...) for about $99 a month. So far the cable modem hasn't given me any problems. I doubt I will go back to dial-up.