GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,196
4 members and 1,192 guests
Cookiez17, indygphib, John

Old 03-26-2004, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

PiKA-GA State Blackface, updated and continuing

Blacks decry GSU fraternity
Protesters complain of slur, threaten boycott of school

By ETAN HOROWITZ
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/25/04
Tempers continued to flare at Georgia State University on Thursday over a racial incident that happened at a fraternity party in January.
_
About 200 people attended a rally organized by the Black Student Alliance to demand that the university take further action against the predominantly white Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. At the emotional rally, students raised their fists in the air chanting "Black Power," and presented a list of 12 demands.
_
"The entire organization needs to be kicked off this campus," said Dawn Davison, 27, who led the rally. "Any threat to diversity is a threat to the university."
_
The protest was in response to a Jan. 24 Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity party where two members arrived wearing blackface, according to a university incident report. After members of Phi Beta Sigma, a historically black fraternity that was at the party, objected to the blackface, the two members took it off, the incident report said.
_
A few days after the party, members of both fraternities met with school officials and Pi Kappa Alpha apologized for the incident, said Dan Forrester, the fraternity's president. The fraternity also suspended the two members. Georgia State officials have suspended the fraternity pending the outcome of a hearing.
_
The university has also held a hearing for the two students who wore blackface, but university officials declined to release the outcome of the hearing, saying federal student privacy laws prevent them from doing so.
_
Students on the campus, where enrollment is about one-third African-American, have been debating the issue and the racial climate at Georgia State.
_
A Pi Kappa Alpha member has filed charges with the university against the Black Student Alliance for producing a flier that criticized the fraternity. Forrester, 23, said members of his fraternity have been threatened because of the flier and have filed reports with police.
_
"Pi Kappa Alpha as an organization has taken every opportunity to apologize on this matter," Forrester said, "but the school isn't portraying it that way. I've been disappointed in the way the school has dealt with the issue. I hope we are going to receive a fair hearing."
_
Speakers at Thursday's rally, which included students from Morehouse College, demanded further action from the university and threatened to boycott businesses run by Georgia State. Among the demands: suspension of Pi Kappa Alpha for a minimum of three years, the addition of a mandatory African-American history course for all students, and hiring of more minority faculty in tenure track positions. Shakeema Bell, a member of the Black Student Alliance, said the university has until 4 p.m. Wednesday to respond to the list of demands.
_
University President Carl V. Patton released a statement Thursday urging students to be patient as the fraternity's case goes through the school's judicial process. "Georgia State University will not tolerate racial discrimination, threats or intimidation," the statement said.
_
Earlier in the day, at a Student Government Association carnival held at lunchtime, the College Republicans held an "anti-bigotry bake sale." The group's chairman, Russell Mildner, said the fund-raiser was not in support of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, but rather to protest the way the university handled the incident and ensuing response. Mildner said the university is unfairly blaming the entire fraternity for the actions of two members.
_
The bake sale grew tense when students from the Black Student Alliance gathered in front of the College Republicans' table, denouncing the group and the fund-raiser with a bullhorn. Members from both groups shouted at each other across the table. Members of the Black Student Alliance were upset over a sign on the College Republicans' table that accused them of not being inclusive. Soon after the complaints, Mildner removed the sign.
_
The recent protests are reminiscent of demonstrations that took place at Georgia State in 1992 after a racial slur was discovered on a trashcan in the University Center. The slur was written by an inactive member of the predominantly white Sigma Nu fraternity and set off a two-day sit-in by black students. That same year, the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity was also sanctioned for displaying pictures of their members in blackface, according to university documents.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

What...absolute...BULLSHIT

Christ screw the BSA
Old 03-26-2004, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The_Nash
I'm not black, and I take it your not either. Your comments make you out to be a racist, and in this day and age I don't really see a point to saying "Christ screw the BSA" They have a right to voice their opposition to Pike, so let them
Old 03-26-2004, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
"Any threat to diversity is a threat to the university."
That statement is so Orwellian, that it makes the hair on my neck stand.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Odd, I didn't get the feeling that Colonist was racist from this statement. I think he is commenting that the reactions by the BSA and University are not proportional to the situation. I agree with him on that score.

"Much to do about nothing" comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Nash
I'm not black, and I take it your not either. Your comments make you out to be a racist, and in this day and age I don't really see a point to saying "Christ screw the BSA" They have a right to voice their opposition to Pike, so let them
Old 03-26-2004, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Bullies?

The actions of the Black Student Alliance do give cause for concern.
Quote:
"About 200 people attended a rally organized by the Black Student Alliance to demand that the university take further action against the predominantly white Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. At the emotional rally, students raised their fists in the air chanting "Black Power," and presented a list of 12 demands.
"The entire organization needs to be kicked off this campus," said Dawn Davison, 27, who led the rally.
Much about that paragraph is striking. While the actions of the fraternity should not to put it mildly be commended, (duh) the holding of a rally to engender a hostile campus attitude to the group, is... unfortunate.
Moreoever, the campus student organization which held the party being removed is NOT giving a mature response but a kneejerk one, plus there are their fliers. I see little to suggest black student responses are not being listened to which could warrant last resort fliers etc. Firstly, I am not confident that the entire fraternity chapter is a hotbed of extreme racial hatred existing to oppress and mock the black student community at GSU as seems to be suggested. The chapter did host the party at which the acts were committed, should it be wiped off the face of the campus or more specifically would that be appropriate cause and effect and would it help?
While it is correct that two members acted with stupidity and racial sensitivity; greater education and coalition between campus groups and students would surely be the way to go. Dawn Davison seems to wish to perpetuate a "them and us" attitude.
Quote:
After members of Phi Beta Sigma, a historically black fraternity that was at the party, objected to the blackface, the two members took it off, the incident report said. A few days after the party, members of both fraternities met with school officials and Pi Kappa Alpha apologized for the incident, said Dan Forrester, the fraternity's president. The fraternity also suspended the two members.
The fraternity seems to have taken clear non-tokenistic steps against the members and apologized (nobody is saying there is not some way to go). I note that HBGLO groups were invited too.
Quote:
Among the demands: suspension of Pi Kappa Alpha for a minimum of three years, the addition of a mandatory African-American history course for all students, and hiring of more minority faculty in tenure track positions. Shakeema Bell, a member of the Black Student Alliance, said the university has until 4 p.m. Wednesday to respond to the list of demands. ...bake sale grew tense when students from the Black Student Alliance gathered in front of the College Republicans' table, denouncing the group and the fund-raiser with a bullhorn.
I take issue with the militant nature of this. The BSA seems to want to bulldoze in with a list of demands to make major changes.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The_Nash
ok, racist might be a little harsh and I could have worded my statement better
Old 03-27-2004, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deuika Send a message via Yahoo to deuika
I know a member of the GSU BSA, this story isn't balanced. According to her members of the BSA have been threatened as well.
I don't think the action they're taking is right, list of demands? That's rather silly.
But they have a right to stand up for what they believe, the opponents should organize and demonstrate as well, not whine about it.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Well, it seems that the three last posters finally agree on something! Thank you!

Now the problem is one cannot or do or say anything about any group with out the Sh*T hitting the fan! Wow, glad I am a in America!

If this is the case, I dont like:

OTW, she is Hawian
decadence, he is in England
mor-ron he is South Africa,
EM1843 He is to tall
Jill, she is Black

And on and on!

Last I heard, I have my right to my beleifs unless it infringes on someone elses legal rights! Not going black face to a party! May have been not Politically Correct, but if it was not malicious, then get off of the wagon of rightousness!

Last I heard, BSU can be one of the most radical do rightious groups on a campus!

If the story is not properly balanced, which most media reports are then what the F! It is blown way out of proportion and stirs things up as on GC!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Saw Jimmy Kimmel tonight on a Man Show rerun. He was dressed up like Karl Malone, doing a bad imitation of Karl.

He was wearing blackface.

Now this was a rerun that was a few years old. I didn't hear of any protests or angry letters in the newspaper. To my knowledge, Comedy Central doesn't think they did anything wrong. Most likely, they are not even aware of what the skit could mean to some folks.

In contrast to this GSU incident which was perpetrated behind closed doors and then apologized for, I think that the Man Show's skit is a lot more egregious.

Why no outcry?

Why no calls for apology? Could it be that not one single person of color was offended by this?

I know this is an incident that is fairly obscure. However, the Man Show incident I saw tonight was even MORE obscure and more egregious due to its national cable audience.

Neither of these incidents occured where one group actually wanted to belittle the other.

However, the aim of these protests was for the BSA to belittle PKA and make them face consequences that are pretty ridiculous.

I find the BSA's actions to be FAR more intolerant unfair than either of the incedents I mentioned above. Their actions are only pouring gasoline on the fire. They are only fueling intolerance, their righteous indignation is causing their cause more harm than good -- at least in my eyes.

I first thought the Pikes had done a very dumb thing. However, when compared with the actions of these leftist, racially charged student groups, the Pikes' actions seem very insignificant.

The action simply did not warrant the response.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

Kevin,
it is not up to you to determine who is outraged by what and how they respond.

Very few people even tried to defend this. We all saw it as a racially insensitive act whether they meant it or not. Nobody defended that minus a fool here or there. Some defended other rights that all groups have which I felt warranted protection.

-Rudey
--This has nothing to do with anything but GA Tech won so let's all celebrate

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Saw Jimmy Kimmel tonight on a Man Show rerun. He was dressed up like Karl Malone, doing a bad imitation of Karl.

Now this was a rerun that was a few years old. I didn't hear of any protests or angry letters in the newspaper. To my knowledge, Comedy Central doesn't think they did anything wrong. Most likely, they are not even aware of what the skit could mean to some folks.

In contrast to this GSU incident which was perpetrated behind closed doors and then apologized for, I think that the Man Show's skit is a lot more egregious.

Why no outcry?

Why no calls for apology? Could it be that not one single person of color was offended by this?

I know this is an incident that is fairly obscure. However, the Man Show incident I saw tonight was even MORE obscure and more egregious due to its national cable audience.

Neither of these incidents occured where one group actually wanted to belittle the other.

However, the aim of these protests was for the BSA to belittle PKA and make them face consequences that are pretty ridiculous.

I find the BSA's actions to be FAR more intolerant unfair than either of the incedents I mentioned above. Their actions are only pouring gasoline on the fire. They are only fueling intolerance, their righteous indignation is causing their cause more harm than good -- at least in my eyes.

I first thought the Pikes had done a very dumb thing. However, when compared with the actions of these leftist, racially charged student groups, the Pikes' actions seem very insignificant.

The action simply did not warrant the response.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to aspiring04
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

Why no outcry?

I hate it when people do this. Jimmy Kimmel dressing up as Karl Malone, in FULL makeup (which was not blackface), is Jimmy Kimmel picking at KARL MALONE, not at EVERY African American. The students at the university who dressed up in black face did so in the fashion of the old minstrel shows which stereotyped ALL African Americans as charcoal black, ignorant, with nappy hair and pink lips, and were HIGHLY offensive. You can't possibly think these two instances are the same and that they should warrant the same outrage..
Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aspiring04
I hate it when people do this. Jimmy Kimmel dressing up as Karl Malone, in FULL makeup (which was not blackface), is Jimmy Kimmel picking at KARL MALONE, not at EVERY African American. The students at the university who dressed up in black face did so in the fashion of the old minstrel shows which stereotyped ALL African Americans as charcoal black, ignorant, with nappy hair and pink lips, and were HIGHLY offensive. You can't possibly think these two instances are the same and that they should warrant the same outrage..
You seriously think the PKAs that did this used CHARCOAL? Wow.

They were dressing up as rappers. More than likely, they probably had no idea what a minstrel show was.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-03-2004, 09:14 AM

One story I read said that the 2 guys were only there for a short while and were going to wash it off.

I know that I am going to get flack for posting this but whatever...
I think that certain AA org members (note: I DID NOT SAY ALL) will use situtations like this to create trouble.

In different instances, one org is being blamed for every bit of evil acts done to AAs since Africa was created. Yet, when the AAs are called down for their offensive action which may be worse than the original "crime", they get more hot and say that those that are complaining are racist.

Objecting to someone's offensive behavior does not always = racism. Just because I don't like someone's "ethnic" outfit, hairstyle, language, whatever doesn't mean I am racist, it is just that my tastes in fashion, food, whatever is different.

I did find it amusing when an AA man wrote a letter to the editor saying that if he went to a party with a blonde wig, big boobs and a distinctive costume, why isn't there the same outcry from Swedes/Norwegians, etc. that he is a racist for wearing such a getup.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
mor-ron he is South Africa,
uhm, it's moe.ron, and I'm not South African. I live here. I'm also pretty tall for an Asian.