GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 950
3 members and 947 guests
ggforever, Low D Flat, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-02-2003, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Grooming your daughters for rush

I know this might be a Southern thing, but what exactly do mothers do to groom their daughters for going through rush. I was just curious with all of the alumni mothers on this board, they might have experienced this or will be eventually.

RedHotChiO
Old 05-02-2003, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd love to hear about this, too! Offhand, I know Justamom and Carnation have dealt with this. Anyone else?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Chime In #3:
Yes, I would like to hear too. Or alternatively, I would like to hear from Southern women such as dzrose93, and hear about how their Moms groomed them for rush.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:09 AM

I'm curious too... as I am from the Northeast and was not "groomed" in any way, shape, or form.

I can tell you that any child I may have will be made aware of the existence of the greek system and encouraged to check it out and make up his or her own mind, but I won't be terribly hurt if they decide it's not for them.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

People actually do this??????

Is this like a lifetime thing, or senior year thing, or a few weeks before college????

I know some girls are born Soroity women, but is "grooming" really a common practice???

Sorry, I have no idea....I'm from a small, uncompetative midwest school where almost everyone gets a bid.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I just helped my daughters choose clothes very carefully, taught them about each GLO, and practiced conversations with them. Many mothers do much more.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
People actually do this??????
Yes, true story! Some people have even been known to hire a "Rush Consultant" (similar to a Pageant Consultant/Coach that pageant contestants would hire)....
Old 05-02-2003, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Now what exactly are the qualifications to be a "rush consultant"???? Hehe, is there a major in it a some of the more hardcore Greek schools?

I think after being on GC for long enough and reading all the stories, I could be a pretty decent "Rush Consultant" for any random girl- North or South, Big Greek School or Not...... it's really not that hard.

But I guess it doesn't even matter if you like the girls in the sorority sometimes..... just b/c it's the sorority that you're "supposed to be in" or "expected" to because of family or societal pressures or whatever. At least if your momma hires you a "rush consultant" i would imagine that's what's expected of you.

Hehe, a fun class that i would LOVE to teach would be a "History fo the Greek System" class....... trace how it developed, the differences, etc. That would be a fun class!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Being Southern born and bred, I suppose I was an exception to the fact. My parents were not exactly supporters of Greek life. But they've come around. However, many of the girls I went to high school with had their mothers pick out their outfits and coach them on what was appropriate to say.

I do agree with aephi alum that any child of mine will be educated on Greek life and be encouraged to make a decsion that best suits their personality.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I am from the South! I was not taught about greek life until the summer before my freshman year. However, It was very intense. My mother found at least one person from each group at my school to tell me about the sorority. My mother was not really hip to me joining a GLO but she wanted to make sure that if i did I would know everything there was to know before I jumped right into it. "The right Research makes the right discission!" My cousin is now a senior in high school and now my aunt is putting her through the same thing that my mom put me through. Actually I don't think that it is that bad of an idea. I really felt prepared for rush unlike the other girls that went through at the same time as me.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom was President of her sorority, my dad was the classic fraternity boy - but both of them were very laid back about the whole deal (kind of like me). I think my mom consciously tried to keep me from forming preconceptions about the groups on campus, but it's kind of hard in my neck of the woods not to know all that stuff anyway.

The Panhellenic in my area (Houston), OTOH, was crazy-busy preparing women for rush - fashion shows to show you what to wear, booklets showing you about each round, etc.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with becljohn, I think being prepared and well informed would be the best way to go into Rush.

Also, at my school during right before Rush, there is a fashion show to let girls know what outifts are appropriate for each night.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

After my daughter became busy with work and travel over the summer, I picked up where she left off on GC. I copied down the "tips" that she wouldn't have thought of and printed them out with a few of my own.

No WAY did I think my daughter could get cut prior to her Senior year. It all kind of "hit" when I started talking to the other mothers with daughters ahead of mine.

Yes, some of these girls have been "bred" for a sorority and MOST were legacies to one or another GLO at LSU. The ones who were going through without ANY concept are gone-quit-resigned. Even a few who had an idea are gone as well.

This may sound crazy, but I feel like the parents play a role as well. It's a matter of networking in order to get the info and do the little things that are noticed in a quiet way. I think girls who have a mother supportng their efforts in general have an easier time all the way around-especially when cuts are made. I know mine would never let on she was disappointed, but she would tell me.

A funny thing my daughter pointed out is the importance the leaders within the GLO will put on different activties. An example-some sororities seem to go for Student Council, another for Homecoming Queens. Cheerladers and Dancers are a "dime a dozen", but there's only ONE Prom Queen. If a GLO's leaders are all ex cheerleaders, they are going to notice that on a rec. Same with STUCO and chances are they may have met some of the girls before. I think the more diverse your leaership is, the more diverse your sorority will be. Then, that really goes without saying.

edited-I remember Juniorgrrl told about a rush consultant a friend or cousin of her's met with.

Last edited by justamom; 05-02-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never heard of a rush consultant, and I've grown up in the South. I'm rushing this year, and I come from a family where the highest education reached was junior college. My mother knows absolutely nothing! Without all of the absolutely wonderful alum here on GC, I'd be completely clueless as to how to prepare for rush. Ya'll are awesome!

Crystal
Old 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Chloe, it sounds like you have a wonderfully supportive family and I'm glad you found your dream house!

I was just curious, is ADII one of the houses you were a legacy of?