GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,487
4 members and 1,483 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad News: Passing of a UF (FL) Delta Delta Delta Member

Sympathy to her family, Delta Delta Delta sisters, and friends; see

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...-condo/1157270
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Very sad. My condolences to her family and to Tri Delta at UF. I did my undergrad at UF and knew many of her sisters; they are a wonderful bunch of women.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Oh dear. This is one of our nieces' pledge sisters.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

how terrible. prayers for her family, her tri delta sisters and her many friends.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

so sad. such a beautiful young lady too. my prayers are with her family, friends, and sorority sisters.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM

This is very sad. Irritating that the writer of the article thought it was a "teachable moment." Publish the facts, leave out the commentary.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

How very crushing for her family and friends. My heart goes out to them. As the mother of two very social daughters and their friends that I adore, this is the stuff that gives me nightmares.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

My sincere condelences to her family & sisters.

I was also turned off by the tone of the article's author.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

This has been really sad for the entire Greek community at UF. Many of my sisters were close with Molly, and I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the type of young woman she was. It really is such a tragedy, and I can't imagine how hard this is for the Ammon family and the women in Tri Delta.

Sadly, that article is by far not the worst thing I've read regarding this unfortunate situation. It's really upsetting to me that such an awful tragedy is taken as an opportunity for people to pass judgment on the Greek system or to turn it into a public service announcement on the dangers of drinking. It's just inappropriate and unnecessary.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and sisters of Molly.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I completely disagree with the comments about not making this a "teachable moment." Molly's death is a senseless tragedy. Why not educate others so that they don't make the same mistake? I especially like this article that includes a message from Molly's family that they hope other's learn from Molly's death.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I completely disagree with the comments about not making this a "teachable moment." Molly's death is a senseless tragedy. Why not educate others so that they don't make the same mistake? I especially like this article that includes a message from Molly's family that they hope other's learn from Molly's death.
I agree, especially if it's the family leading the charge. If the family doesn't turn this into something that can benefit another person, they will feel their daughter's death will have no impact for someone else's life, and that would likely be devastating to them. They are trying to come to grips over a senseless tragedy, without anger or accusation. I commend them for it.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
turn it into a public service announcement on the dangers of drinking.
I'm 100% in support of this kind of public service announcement.

We shouldn't tolerate these needless, preventable deaths. Students with great promise are squandering their lives for no reason but ignorance. These articles are one way to fight that lethal ignorance.
________
Bong

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM

When people are grieving, they can hardly get up and face the day, let alone learn or listen to "public service announcements."

IF it comes out that drinking truly was why she passed away, and IF the family or the sorority wants to do some sort of alcohol awareness thing a few months down the line, have at it. But right now? No. It's tacky, unfeeling and tasteless. And I didn't see any "message" from the family in that latter article, just an aside by the writer (i.e. no quotes).
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When people are grieving, they can hardly get up and face the day, let alone learn or listen to "public service announcements."

IF it comes out that drinking truly was why she passed away, and IF the family or the sorority wants to do some sort of alcohol awareness thing a few months down the line, have at it. But right now? No. It's tacky, unfeeling and tasteless. And I didn't see any "message" from the family in that latter article, just an aside by the writer (i.e. no quotes).
This isn't a public service announcement for her friends or family. Just writing an extra article about her is probably too much. This is about letting the thousands of teenagers who are going out and binge drinking every night know that there are ways that you can protect your friends who have had too much. You don't think there are Greeks at UF that could be helped by this story who aren't currently mourning her death? It's a big system. I bet that she didn't know everyone. Teens from her high school may be a good group to target as well for this message.

Also, you don't have to have a quote from a family member to indicate that the family is in support of a message. There have been many reports that have stated that her family was scared that something had happened because they knew that she had been drinking, and they thought she might have had too much. This sounds like a family that understood the risks but let their daughter have her own life. Now they just want others to know that those risks can be deadly. It doesn't take anything away from Molly Ammons. She sounds like an amazing woman. It's sad that she died such an avoidable death. Why is it that only her sorority can have an educational event about this if they want to? Her family certainly can authorize a focus on prevention. It's no different than family members of drowning victims going on a crusade to prevent children from drowning in swimming pools. Your judgement is being clouded by the sorority/alcohol involvement.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Why is it that only her sorority can have an educational event about this if they want to? Her family certainly can authorize a focus on prevention. It's no different than family members of drowning victims going on a crusade to prevent children from drowning in swimming pools. Your judgement is being clouded by the sorority/alcohol involvement.
Whaaaaaaat? I didn't say that. I personally think it's too soon for anyone, sorority, family, school, you name it, to turn this woman's death into a crusade of any sort. It's unfeeling to the many people in her life who are all grieving in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
IF it comes out that drinking truly was why she passed away, and IF the family or the sorority wants to do some sort of alcohol awareness thing a few months down the line, have at it. But right now? No. It's tacky, unfeeling and tasteless.