GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,534
2 members and 1,532 guests
IndianaSigKap

Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Pledging as a 5th year senior....(serious replies only)

I'm a senior (4th year) who wanted to pledge AKA but my grades weren't right. I'll be a 5th year senior next year and I wanted to know how this sorority feels about letting girls in as 5th year senior, or if they even do it at all. I'm not dumb by a long shot....I was in the top 10 out of 300 people in high school when I graduated. It's just when I got to college I didn't apply myself as much as I should have. I've learned my lesson and am making the grades now. We all know that gpa's are hard to bring up after they've gone down so even with good grades right now I'm right at the C+ mark. So I'd also like to know how much does gpa play in? I take full responsibility for the grades I've made. I know there is no one to blame but me, but I'd still like to know.

I have wonderful character, I love helping people so I know a sorority all about service is the sorority for me. I also volunteer with one of the local girl scout troops in my hometown. I come from a long line of women who've become AKA's and they are great women who have gone to become doctors, social workers, managers at big companies, presidents of organizations, and many other things. They are great women and they have molded me into a great woman.

My dream to become an AKA is embedded so deeply in me. So please, can someone tell me what they think about my situation? Should I give up on this dream of becoming an AKA, or keep fighting for it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Go to the AKA forum and read.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

No one ever asks for sarcastic replies only. Alas, we end up with no choice but to insert them where they're not welcome.

Also who says that they have wonderful character? That's just a weird way to talk about one's self.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Also who says that they have wonderful character? That's just a weird way to talk about one's self.
Too much exposure to this campaign, perhaps.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nella5 View Post
I'm a senior (4th year) who wanted to pledge AKA but my grades weren't right. I'll be a 5th year senior next year and I wanted to know how this sorority feels about letting girls in as 5th year senior, or if they even do it at all. I'm not dumb by a long shot....I was in the top 10 out of 300 people in high school when I graduated. It's just when I got to college I didn't apply myself as much as I should have. I've learned my lesson and am making the grades now. We all know that gpa's are hard to bring up after they've gone down so even with good grades right now I'm right at the C+ mark. So I'd also like to know how much does gpa play in? I take full responsibility for the grades I've made. I know there is no one to blame but me, but I'd still like to know.

I have wonderful character, I love helping people so I know a sorority all about service is the sorority for me. I also volunteer with one of the local girl scout troops in my hometown. I come from a long line of women who've become AKA's and they are great women who have gone to become doctors, social workers, managers at big companies, presidents of organizations, and many other things. They are great women and they have molded me into a great woman.

My dream to become an AKA is embedded so deeply in me. So please, can someone tell me what they think about my situation? Should I give up on this dream of becoming an AKA, or keep fighting for it?

Thanks in advance.
Ummmm...A C+ average is only around a 2.3. That's not really that good, unless your major might be a hard science or something-especially if you are going into your 5th year.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nella5 View Post
I come from a long line of women who've become AKA's and they are great women who have gone to become doctors, social workers, managers at big companies, presidents of organizations, and many other things.
So.....why are you asking us???
Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
So.....why are you asking us???
Because they might laugh at her?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Ummmm...A C+ average is only around a 2.3. That's not really that good, unless your major might be a hard science or something-especially if you are going into your 5th year.
Yeah, that's not good for science. Your not going anywhere in the sciences with a 2.3.

AOII

Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, that's not good for science. Your not going anywhere in the sciences with a 2.3.
That GPA isn't good for anything.

Oh, and it's "you're". (Just yanking your chain a bit, AOII Angel )
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
That GPA isn't good for anything.

Oh, and it's "you're". (Just yanking your chain a bit, AOII Angel )
Good pick up! I'm on my phone, so typing is a chore.

AOII

Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

My serious reply:
GRADUATE!

I understand wanting to join and become part of a sisterhood especially if you come from a long line. However, if you haven't applied yourself so far, probably adding another commitment isn't going to help. I undertand that you are doing better with grades, but if it has taken you this long to get a 2.3, you might want to continue concentrating on achieving higher grades... just saying... Also, graduating takes time and energy, how much time would you really be able to give to AKA?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 04-17-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yes. I was trying to be nice without telling her I thought she was completely screwed. The truth is that a 2.3 (by the time you hit 5th year senior status) is not attractive to graduate schools, some employers, and probably the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha. It also means you are just on the cusp of having almost below a 2.0 if you have ONE slip-up...which, at some schools (my school included) means you are OUT of there.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Ummm all you people saying that she has a 2.3 you do realize it is based on school so you really don't KNOW what her GPA is.

C+ grade average is very broad, no matter how many Princeton conversion charts say to the contrary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8

Last edited by BluPhire; 04-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

More importantly

http://www.aka1908.com/membership/pr...uateMembership

NPHC aspirants who don't know to search for this info without coming to GC are probably not yet keen enough for membership. And GCers going on and on about a C+ GPA without knowing AKA's GPA requirements need to have a seat. This is a question about AKA membership and not about the sciences or graduation.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-18-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
the sciences or graduation.
...made me lol

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.