GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,165
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,140
1 members and 1,139 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

National Programming

Most of our organizations at this point have instituted some form of national programming in place of our more traditional pledging programs. This programming is designed in large part to give the chapters an alternative to more traditional programs which probably involved hazing in some way, shape, or form.

Does your organization have a program? Is it widely utilized? Do you feel like your headquarters places much emphasis in the program's support?

Do you perceive that there are any strengths or weaknesses in your programming?

Has it given your chapter a viable alternative to what it was doing 20 years ago?

Are there any other organizations besides your own which have programming that you'd like to see your organization adopt?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-28-2006, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We have ASA Advantage, which I like, because it's not just a program for pledges. It has a New Member Module, an Active Module, a Graduating Senior Module, and an Alumna Module. Nothing hard, but it does keep sisters involved in the sorority.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
We have ASA Advantage, which I like, because it's not just a program for pledges. It has a New Member Module, an Active Module, a Graduating Senior Module, and an Alumna Module. Nothing hard, but it does keep sisters involved in the sorority.
Does your HQ allow you much leeway as far as changing the program up to better address local needs?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsnake
Does your HQ allow you much leeway as far as changing the program up to better address local needs?
Yeah, things like how to introduce bigs/littles, new member retreats, etc...are really up to the chapter. It's basically contains guidelines for discussion (How much time do you spend on studying/social/sorority stuff/sleeping/etc per week - I remember that being one of the New Member discussions on Time Management), or projects, and specifies the amount of service hours needed for that particular module.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
traditional programs which probably involved hazing in some way, shape, or form.
I disagree. Unless you are going with the definition where asking anything of anyone - pledge or active - is considered hazing.

A lot of these came into being as CYA measures due to the 5% of chapters who truly hazed (regardless of the 95% who didn't).

Or, they came into being because members wanted to learn throughout their Greek experience, not just have everything squeezed into 6 weeks.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but saying traditional = hazing in the Greek world is the kind of stereotype we fight against daily. Pledging is traditional. Hazing is not. The two are not synonymous.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

We've had other discussions as to how the word "hazing" has grown to encompass just about everything for some groups. The definition has grown to the point where I simply don't agree with your 95% vs 5% statement. I think that if we look back to most of our traditional programs, we'll find things like scavenger hunts which in 95% of cases are completely innocent, but in 5% of cases, they might involve questionable activities. However, under our respective organizations' rules, we would have to say that 100% of those organizations hazed.

The definition of hazing has become so broad generally for insurance and limitation of liability purposes, and of course, HQ can tell its chapters to stop doing scavenger hunts until its blue in the face. Hoewver, anything short of placing an advisor who is on the HQ payroll in each chapter house is going to fall short of accomplishing that goal.

Instead, HQs (in my estimation) have offered up national programming in an effort to offer us carrots instead of sticks. In other words, they give us something that is highly effective for intake, they reward us for doing it, and they offer support, training, and other enhancing services. They do this so that instead of the scavenger hunt we would have done in week 2, we will instead be going over module 3 of our program (or something to that effect) which could involve facilitated discussions, ropes course type games, community service, etc.

33 -- in addressing all organizations, NPC, NIC, NPHC, etc. sometimes we have to make some pretty sweeping generalizations. I didn't mean to implicate that everyone hazed, but I think a lot more hazed in the past than do now, especially under current definitions.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
We've had other discussions as to how the word "hazing" has grown to encompass just about everything for some groups. The definition has grown to the point where I simply don't agree with your 95% vs 5% statement. I think that if we look back to most of our traditional programs, we'll find things like scavenger hunts which in 95% of cases are completely innocent, but in 5% of cases, they might involve questionable activities. However, under our respective organizations' rules, we would have to say that 100% of those organizations hazed.

The definition of hazing has become so broad generally for insurance and limitation of liability purposes, and of course, HQ can tell its chapters to stop doing scavenger hunts until its blue in the face. Hoewver, anything short of placing an advisor who is on the HQ payroll in each chapter house is going to fall short of accomplishing that goal.

Instead, HQs (in my estimation) have offered up national programming in an effort to offer us carrots instead of sticks. In other words, they give us something that is highly effective for intake, they reward us for doing it, and they offer support, training, and other enhancing services. They do this so that instead of the scavenger hunt we would have done in week 2, we will instead be going over module 3 of our program (or something to that effect) which could involve facilitated discussions, ropes course type games, community service, etc.

33 -- in addressing all organizations, NPC, NIC, NPHC, etc. sometimes we have to make some pretty sweeping generalizations. I didn't mean to implicate that everyone hazed, but I think a lot more hazed in the past than do now, especially under current definitions.
I think if national HQs offer national programming as an "alternative to your old hazing program" it's just as much of a "stick" as being on probation or paying fines would be.

The programs have to be offered with no mention of the fact that they are to prevent hazing, because to do so implies the chapter did haze previously - and many actives/alumnae do not consider scavenger hunts/interviews/etc hazing and therefore will not respond favorably to something criticizing them. Instead, the new initiatives need to be shown to generate CONCRETE results - better member retention, better grades, more campus involvement, better campus reputation.

I mean, you tell me we have this new program that's going to be roses and daisies and so much better than the unenlightened crap we did, I'm probably going to give you a big middle finger. But show me chapters that used it and went from struggling to stay alive to the top chapter on campus, and I'll be more inclined to listen to what you have to say.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

You're talking about the packaging while I'm talking about the practical effect.

I think we're more-less on the same page except for a few semantical differences.

Interestingly enough, Sigma Nu (and I'd have to assume other organizations) has implemented a program called "Pursuit of Excellence." It was introduced at the '04 Grand Chapter. Its original name as it was discussed in committee, was "Minimum Expectations." The program requires chapters to submit annual reports about chapter activities, grades, membership retention, etc. There are points attached to each of the items on the list. Essentially, if a Sigma Nu Chapter does not participate in our national programming (LEAD), we won't have enough points to be considered passing. If a chapter fails to obtain enough points, it can very possibly lose its charter (although, I don't think that's happened yet, it would have to be over a period of a few years). So of course, some organizations, such as mine have actually gone in and added the stick as well.

Last edited by Kevin; 07-28-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Most of our organizations at this point have instituted some form of national programming in place of our more traditional pledging programs. This programming is designed in large part to give the chapters an alternative to more traditional programs which probably involved hazing in some way, shape, or form.

Does your organization have a program? Is it widely utilized? Do you feel like your headquarters places much emphasis in the program's support?
Yes. Total Membership Education was introduced in the early 90's and a few years ago, the sorority added the Well Balanced Person Program. From our website: "The goal of the program is to have programming better correlated to the needs of chapter members during each year in college." The New Member Program is an important part and is supported by our Grand Council.

Quote:
Do you perceive that there are any strengths or weaknesses in your programming?
We have a very strict interpretation of hazing. Most see this as a strength because of our zero tolerance policy. I'm sure there are others who view it as being too PC.

Another plus-- sponsor sisters are assigned almost immediately to the new members. They have an immediate personal guide. This is helpful because new members are initiated within 4-6 weeks. Some view the downside as this meaning that your "Diamond Sister" isn't necessarily your best friend. The purpose of our sponsor program, however, is not to instill Big/Lil relationships-- we hope that members will seek out mentor/mentee relationships and strong friendships with one another without any cause for ranking that relationship into something exclusive (no "families"). Once initiation has passed, the Diamond Sister program has concluded. Those members who have shared the program will enjoy that bond for a lifetime. In theory, you would say "She WAS my Diamond Sister." On the local level, Diamond Sisters function very much as Big/Lil in other organizations.

A newer feature of the new member program implemented over the last few years: active learning. The members do individual online training modules on their own and spend new member ed discussing the lesson and getting to know each other as well as fun sorority traditions through various activities. I think this helps greatly-- the new member period is so short, and the education sessions now focus on sisterhood and friendship rather than just spouting facts. The new members do take pre-initiation exam, and initated members take an International Exam each year they are in college.

All new member activities must be approved by the chapter exec board and international officers. New member activities may not deviate from the plans; if they do, they must be approved. This is to ensure that the program is being followed. There is still plenty of room for fun and creativity.

New members enjoy all the same privileges as an intiated member with the exception of participating in ritual or a position of leadership requiring participation in ritual. I like that the new members are on equal footing with the members-- they come to meetings, may hold leadership positions, wear letters, etc.

The TME programs preach the importance of team work and utilizing committees. I think this is helpful-- non officers are engaged in chapter decisions and in training to become future leaders.

I have noticed one overall weakness in the sorority system overall-- it is hard to keep women in the chapter for all 4 years. I think the Well Balanced Person Program addresses this issue, but it is a new program and too soon to tell if it will be effective in senior retention.

Quote:
Has it given your chapter a viable alternative to what it was doing 20 years ago?
Absolutely-- it sets some strong guidelines and helps the chapter to function, as well as giving individual members life skills they can take beyond the sorority into their personal lives.

Quote:
Are there any other organizations besides your own which have programming that you'd like to see your organization adopt?
I think many of the other organizations are doing a fine job. I am an alumna, and believe the current collegiate programming does a good job of educating our members, keeping them safe and helping them to make good decisions.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-28-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You're talking about the packaging while I'm talking about the practical effect.

I think we're more-less on the same page except for a few semantical differences.
I agree - but I think in this kind of thing, the packaging is every bit as important as the product. Especially if the chapter has been successful with their current program. No one wants to fix what they don't perceive as broken.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I've had the privelage of being around many of my old highschool friends chapters at various schools, as well as chapters at my school. Out of all those, I only know of 2 that don't haze. That is 2 out of ~20. Those 2 are considered horrible chapters on their campus. I would go out on a limb and say hazing=traditional. No matter how you try to sugar coat it, it's the truth.

DISCLAIMER

I know it will come up so here-

I'm talking about IFC FRATERNITIES. Don't know about NPC don't care. Hazing is reffered to as lineups with physical training type exercizes, scavenger hunts, everything except homo-erotic type hazing.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, every man in my family that I know of was Greek and were all at big, Southern prominent Greek schools (Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Georgia, Alabama to name a few).........and they will all tell stories of hazing, lineups, etc. etc. Sorry but i'm gonna have to side with bows&toes in that hazing is traditional.......atleast in the South.

I am a firm believer that national programs such as The Balanced Man and the True Gentleman are doing nothing but destroying chapters. I don't know of any top Southern chapters of SAE that go by our Nationa's program. Selectivity is something that they all take pride in, as is longstanding traditions and their right to not diversify.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 AM

You guys should check out the visions program Phi Sig implemented. It not only is for new members but through out the program you learn how to implement it as a sister and then as an alumni. From our website the program is meant to help foster commitment to lifelong learning, inclusiveness and leadership through service. I went to convention last year and I can honestly tell you if chapters sit down and actually read the values and implement the program it can help them not only as sisters but as collegians and in the future.

If my national were to read this and see what chapter I am from they would floored, my chapter just had their charter taken away because of hazing accusations. These accusations were never found to be true nor false, and I am in no way admitting to the accusations because as far as i know they are false accusations. The reason I am telling you all this is because I 100% believe in tradition( I come from a medium size school in PA) but when it comes to hazing tradition is a cop out. If you are a top tier sorority or fraternity at your respective institution whether or not you haze will not make a difference. Tradition and ritual should be kept private with-in the chapter so regardless of whether hazing or not your membership should not be affected. If it is people are going by a reputation that proceeds you and if that is the case they want to be in the chapter for the wrong reasons.

I fully belive that if people actually sit and read and think about the programs like Visions and the Balanced Man they will see that they can work and can implement them in everyday life, it should not negativley affect your chapter.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I don't know of any sorrorities that haze bad, or haze at all. Sororities are a whole different animal and in my opinion don't require hazing.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bows&toes
Personally, I don't know of any sorrorities that haze bad, or haze at all. Sororities are a whole different animal and in my opinion don't require hazing.
No organization "requires" hazing. Or is there something in your constitution or bylaws that you'd like to share with us?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.