GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,381
4 members and 1,377 guests
HONKY660, Sarak24034

Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Chapter/colony founders - why GSS?

For those of you who became founding members on your campus, have colonized and then chartered, what was your process like?

I am interested in how GSS comes to campuses. So to you founders of colonies or chapters:

- Did you specifically seek out GSS?
- Did someone from GSS (alum, another chapter) unoffically introduce you to GSS ?
- How did you hear about GSS that made you want to start a chapter?
- Why GSS instead of an NPC or NPHC org?
- Were there any other GLOs on campus?

I often hear advice given to PNM of NPC GLOs who did not receive bids, to seek out GSS or other service GLOs, local sororities, or academic GLOs. Is this "simply" a marketing issue? I guess this ties in to the common refernce to GSS as not being a "real" sorority (ie. social).

If I am not phrasing this correctly, please excuse me. If you wish to contact me via PM, please do so.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I tried to form a colony! I didnt have enough interest. So I will answer these from my POV!

- Did you specifically seek out GSS?
Yes. I saw someone with a GSS jacket on one day. This lead me to look it up. I also was intrigued because of the how close it was to my social's name

- Did someone from GSS (alum, another chapter) unoffically introduce you to GSS ?
I guess the lady in the jacket!

I liked the idea of a service organization comprised mainly of women.

Well, I AM in a NPC organization. I had just became alum from Phi Sig for personal reasons and I was still in college. I did a good amount of service through Phi Sig (something we were proud of) and I did a good amount of band service through Tau Beta Sigma, my honorary. I really wanted to bring a service org to Clarion again - we did, and now again, have APO.

Yes, 7 social sororities, 9 social fraternities, many honorary and professional orgs.

I hope this helps!

I would LOVE to get into the marketing area of Gamma Sig! There are so many campuses and women who could really benefit from this organization!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I was a founder of my collegiate chapter as well as my alum chapter...

-Did you specifically seek out GSS?

Actually, no. I was working at the Student Activities office at my school when I recieved a random phone call from a GSS member that was transferring. When I told her we didn't have a chapter at GSU, I was just curious to know more so I asked her about it. The rest is history!

Yes. See above story, LOL...that caller ended up being my DP.

Well, the caller and I ended up meeting one another so we could talk more about GSS. She told me about the organization as a whole and how the sorority really focused on helping others. I was really impressed and I felt that GSU would benefit from having a service sorority campus.

I felt like Gamma Sig was a good fit for me. When I first arrived at GSU, I had absolutely no knowledge of greek life. Nobody in my family is greek. So when I learned about Gamma Sig and it catering to something that's important to me personally, I felt like it would be good for me.

Yes. We have NPC/IFC/NPHC on our campus, and now we have MGC as well but that wasn't there when I started school.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."