Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,450
3 members and 1,447 guests
Cookiez17, IndianaSigKap

Old 05-04-2005, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HoosierPhiSig
Phi Sig OWNED houses?

how many actual fraternity houses does nationals own? And where are they? Just curious.

From my understanding, here at IU, we're one of the larger Phi Sig chapters nationwide, but not getting much help from nationals in terms of finding permanent housing. Next year, we're going on our third different house in 3 years!

Phi Delta Theta's Alpha chapter had their charter revoked by their nationals for hazing incidents earlier, so we're moving into their old house for at least the next 2 years.

Last edited by HoosierPhiSig; 05-04-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
National does not believe in owning houses. They will help set up Alumni Housing Boards and what not but will not help in buying or owning houses. It's one of those safety things so that if a chapter goes under National isn't stuck with a house and no chapter
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 05-10-2005, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

don't the Nationals of almost every other fraternity own houses???
Old 05-10-2005, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure. I know some do, but, I also know some who are like ours and don't. Such as Kappa Delta Rho, they used to own houses but then they got burned by a few chapters that closed, IU being one of them.
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 05-13-2005, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSK480
. Such as Kappa Delta Rho, they used to own houses but then they got burned by a few chapters that closed, IU being one of them.
ha, and to this day, that house still sits empty
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but it struck my fancy since we are trying to improve our housing situation here at Central Arkansas. We have no official house, but we do have an unofficial house rented by several brothers over the past few years. Unfortunately the landlord refuses to let us do Greek things there. IE lawn art, letters, ect...

We are currently working on other options, but housing near the university is hard to come by. So my question is how far are most houses from their respective Universities?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

it really depends on the campus. Our house is probably about a mile a mile and a quarter from campus. But at Penn State we're known as "Far" Sigma Kappa because that house is apparently a distance from campus
Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
Roughly 8 miles, 10-15 minutes from campus

That's the usual for most of our Greek houses as they're all unofficial (except AOII has a floor in one of the student housing areas)
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

To the best of my knowledge, only a handful of NIC orgs have set up Housing Foundations to help finance chapter houses, and I think they are all the "Big" nationals (Sig Ep, Pike, etc)
Unfortunately, contributions to Housing Foundations aren't tax-deductable, so most orgs don't bother with getting into the housing business.

At Ball State, our chapter house is probably 1/2 mile from campus, though in some of those Indiana winters it sure felt a lot further! Fortunately we bought our house in the early 1960s before the campus expanded so much.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwkeith
Sorry to hijack this old thread, but it struck my fancy since we are trying to improve our housing situation here at Central Arkansas. We have no official house, but we do have an unofficial house rented by several brothers over the past few years. Unfortunately the landlord refuses to let us do Greek things there. IE lawn art, letters, ect...

We are currently working on other options, but housing near the university is hard to come by. So my question is how far are most houses from their respective Universities?
'Scuse me for busting in here, but what happened to UCA building Greek housing for the chapters? Last time I was in Arkansas (graduated with my Masters from UCA...bachelors from HSU...hung out with many a PhiSig there...dated one from Northeastern State in Tahlequah, OK) they were talking about building housing for the chapters that the school could use as regular student housing if a chapter closes (as opposed to the individual orgs owning random houses in the city).

GO REDDIES!!! just HAD to say it!!

PsychTau
Old 08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

our house is actually ON campus at IU.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau
'Scuse me for busting in here, but what happened to UCA building Greek housing for the chapters? Last time I was in Arkansas (graduated with my Masters from UCA...bachelors from HSU...hung out with many a PhiSig there...dated one from Northeastern State in Tahlequah, OK) they were talking about building housing for the chapters that the school could use as regular student housing if a chapter closes (as opposed to the individual orgs owning random houses in the city).
PsychTau
Not sure when you were last updated, but yes the school is planning on starting in about 5 years. However they are starting with the sororities. That equals a long wait for the chapter. Plus, I would rather have a privately owned house than a school one. I prefer to keep the school out of as much Phi Sig business as possible.

Thanks for the rest of the feedback gang. Our chapter has a psuedo house right now(rental), but we are not allowed to have letters and what not there.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

PSK Owned Properties

I know this is an old thread, but Phi Sig recently set up Phi Sigma Kappa Properties (PSKP) with the intention of buying and managing houses.

This is still in it's infancy. For the most part, Alumni Housing Corporations are still the best bet.

-T