Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 956
3 members and 953 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

lavalier question

I am not inthe greek life but my girl is and she has mentioned lavaliering. Can a sorority girl lavalier a guy that isnt greek?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM

If her sorority allows her to lavalier a guy in general, whether he is Greek or not shouldn't matter. Fraternity men are allowed to lavalier non-Greek women, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

You can also lavalier her by presenting her with a lavalier with her own letters. One of my chapter sisters dated a boy who was not Greek and he did this. The lavalier he gave her wasn't the normal letter drop-- it had a heart around it. Very pretty.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

if i was to present her with a lavalier is there a certain way to do it or is it ok to just surprise her. im only asking cuz she takes her sorority very seriously and i dont want to offend any of your ways.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is completely fine to totally surprise her! I think she'd love that. There is no one way to lavaliere someone. Each fraternity does it differently, so if you are not in a fraternity, however you wish to do it would be fine. Typically, a lavaliering occurs with the guy being accompanied by his close friends in the fraternity, who also know the girl. They tend to act as moral support, say positive things, and typically give her flowers. You can do whatever you want, like I said, there's no right way to do it.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You can also contact her chapter president and announce that you'd like to come in and lavalier her as a surprise-- you might do this during chapter dinner or chapter meeting at a scheduled appointment time you arrange with the pres so that all of the sisters are there. You can serenade her with a song or read her a poem and present her with the lavalier. Her sisters will totally fall in love with you!

You could also take her on a romantic date and present it to her on the date.

Either way, there is no right or wrong way to give someone a lavalier! It is a sign that you love someone very much, and it is a token showing that you are in a serious and committed relationship.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartanADPi View Post
if i was to present her with a lavalier is there a certain way to do it or is it ok to just surprise her. im only asking cuz she takes her sorority very seriously and i dont want to offend any of your ways.
Just the mere fact that you're here asking her sisters is impressive- I think you're a great boyfriend already !!!!

ADPi is not for four years, it's for a lifetime!!!

"Let Us Sing to Alpha Delta... to the White and Azure Blue"
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, I am totally thread crashing, but...

I thought the point of a lavalier from a fraternity man was a sign that he'd put you before his letters. I don't understand how a lavalier from a non-fraternity man could be equivalent. If you love someone, there are pre-engagement rings and such, but traditionally, lavaliers are for the greeks.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Okay, I am totally thread crashing, but...

I thought the point of a lavalier from a fraternity man was a sign that he'd put you before his letters. I don't understand how a lavalier from a non-fraternity man could be equivalent. If you love someone, there are pre-engagement rings and such, but traditionally, lavaliers are for the greeks.
Sorry but I have seen non-Greek men give their sorority girlfriends lavaliers... I don't think there are any official rules on this anyway... and it's just a nice token of affection...

Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

So I didn't want to start another thread on this subject, so I'm gonna ask it here. My pledge class is getting Big/little gifts leading up to reveal. One of my pledge sisters got a lavalier pendant from her big. Can you get that from your big though? I'm reading this thread and it seems that it's only given by a guy. Could anybody clarify it for me?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovegreek View Post
So I didn't want to start another thread on this subject, so I'm gonna ask it here. My pledge class is getting Big/little gifts leading up to reveal. One of my pledge sisters got a lavalier pendant from her big. Can you get that from your big though? I'm reading this thread and it seems that it's only given by a guy. Could anybody clarify it for me?
I have heard of chapters where it's a tradition for a big to give her little a lavaliere. Some people do it in my chapter, but no one ever gets lavaliered for romantic purposes.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Lavaliers don't have official rules.

Sure, there's a tradition that fraternity members give a lavalier of their letters to their serious, steady girlfriends, but that doesn't mean "it's only given by a guy".

My colony class received them from our ELC as installation gifts
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes a sister can buy a lavalier.. no issues whatsoever...

Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It was my family tradition for the big to buy a little her lavalier for initiation. I also sent one to one of the sisters I met here on GC.

The only time I've seen lavaliering in a romantic way is when a fraternity man gives HIS letters to a woman as a sign of pre-engagement.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Traditionally non Greek men give their girlfriend a single pearl to represent their love for her. Greek men give their letters to their girlfriend to represent that they will put their girlfriend before their house. Women receive their own letters from a big/little, pledge mother, or even purchase them for themselves in order to represent love for their house.