GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 941
1 members and 940 guests
Low D Flat

Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGPhiBete
CCNY (City College of New York)

Hey, Does anyone know if there are any NPC orgs at CCNY? If so, which ones are there?

I know there are some MCGLO's but I'm not aware of any NPC Sororities....if anyone knows, please enlighten me!

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking that since they didn't have any listed under the "Fraternities & Sororities" Section of their website, it's a big NO. It seems like a non-traditional/commuter campus, which wouldn't be a big NPC target.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

They do not have any NPC sororities. In terms of NIC fraternities, Sigma Alpha Mu is in the process of recolonizing their Alpha chapter and their Tau Epsilon Pi chapter may still be active.

They have a greek life links page but I am not sure how up to date it is: CCNY Greek Life

And just b/c they are commuter schools doesn't mean they won't have NPC's, three other commuter CUNY campus have NPC chapters.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
And just b/c they are commuter schools doesn't mean they won't have NPC's, three other commuter CUNY campus have NPC chapters.
Point of clarification: I didn't say that they couldn't have NPC's. I said that it wouldn't be a big NPC target, like say, an SEC school.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
As for NPHC, we have several city-wide chapters up here in NYC. Most of the senior CUNY campuses would fall under these chapters. I'm not sure if NPC and NIC orgs. have city-wide chapters.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Point of clarification: I didn't say that they couldn't have NPC's. I said that it wouldn't be a big NPC target, like say, an SEC school.
I know you weren't saying that, I am just really big on people knowing there are greeks at commuter schools. Especially in NYC.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
I know you weren't saying that, I am just really big on people knowing there are greeks at commuter schools. Especially in NYC.
GO CUNY!!!!!!

*Proud Baruch College alum*
Old 03-27-2006, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:

I'm agreeing with you....shocking! But yes, I hate when people assume just because it's a commuter school there is no greek life....

BTW, btwn us, sorry about last week....

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
DPhiE used to have a chapter at CCNY (Lehman) and due to the change in the traditional student (age etc), the NPC groups folded in the 60s. This is similar to Hunter College, our Delta Chapter. The traditional student, 18-20 years old, had morphed and so the campus is not full of likely-joiners (an NPC term). Maintaining membership on these types of campuses is very challenging. The commuter part of it is not the issue but the women don't feel a sense of "home" since they are often not on campus at the same times and don't have a central meeting place like a private office etc for bonding.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Delt had a chapter at CCNY for nearly 75 years and pulled the charter in 1912ish (the school was becoming too Jewish....I know, spomething we are not too proud of now.) It actually became a local called Delta Alpha which survived until somewhere around the mid-seventies TEP actually had a house, but recently lost it
Old 03-27-2006, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Phi was founded on December 10, 1899 at the City College of New York.

Don't know when our chapter went defunct though.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

CCNY DELTA UPSILON

DU had a chapter at CCNY from 1874-1878, chapter initiated a grand total of 18 men!
Interestingly one of the initiates was the chief designer of the Panama Canal.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

ZBT's Grand Alpha Chapter was founded at CCNY in 1903 when it was decided to change ZBT from a secret society of Jew men founded in 1898 at Columbia Univ. to a greek-letter fraternity. CCNY-Alpha was one of ZBT top 20 chapters from 1903 to 1960's. However, the chapter had closed after when Phi Sigma Delta and Phi Epsilon Pi merged with ZBT National in 1970. There has been some talk by the national expansion committee to re-activate the chapter.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE
DPhiE used to have a chapter at CCNY (Lehman) and due to the change in the traditional student (age etc), the NPC groups folded in the 60s. This is similar to Hunter College, our Delta Chapter. The traditional student, 18-20 years old, had morphed and so the campus is not full of likely-joiners (an NPC term). Maintaining membership on these types of campuses is very challenging. The commuter part of it is not the issue but the women don't feel a sense of "home" since they are often not on campus at the same times and don't have a central meeting place like a private office etc for bonding.
CUNY Queens has a DPhiE chapter also, I'm just not sure what chapter they are. CUNY Brooklyn used to have hte Upsilon chapter before all Greeks were kicked off of CUNY campuses in the early 70's, and they never came back.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DEVO40
ZBT's Grand Alpha Chapter was founded at CCNY in 1903 when it was decided to change ZBT from a secret society of Jew men founded in 1898 at Columbia Univ. to a greek-letter fraternity. CCNY-Alpha was one of ZBT top 20 chapters from 1903 to 1960's. However, the chapter had closed after when Phi Sigma Delta and Phi Epsilon Pi merged with ZBT National in 1970. There has been some talk by the national expansion committee to re-activate the chapter.
ZBT's Beta Xi chapter is still active at CUNY Brooklyn

Patriae Multae Spes Una