Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,439
0 members and 1,439 guests
No Members online

Old 10-29-2001, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
Changing Majors

I'm contemplating changing my major from Theatre/Mass com to political Science.

I love the theatre, but I don't really think it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. And, Public Relations- Well there's not really a PR major here, it's a Mass Communication Major with a concentration in Public Relations.

I really just don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life!
lol

Any ideas or advice on how to figure out what to major in?

Always,
Jess
Old 10-29-2001, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Go undeclared and take only general education classes in areas that interest you. This is what I did. Now mind you, I got a degree in sociology/criminology and I'm a graphic/web designer now, but I really enjoyed my major, loved the classes and learned so much more than I did with 2 years in accounting. The degree doesn't have to be what you'll do for the rest of your life. It's the fact that you have one that is important!
Old 10-29-2001, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

doesn't it suck that they throw us into college and tell us to decide what we want to do with the rest of our lives?

i'm a political science, and honestly, i love it. there is so much, in my opinion, that you can do with this major. Look at Arya, he majored in poli sci, recieved his masters in political economics (if i remember right!), and he's working in South Africa right now - how cool is that ? I plan on going the law school route. I think you need to decide what area you want to focus your career on... however, in my mind, doing what you love and following your heart is never wrong.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Deja- I am pretty much in the same boat as you are, but since i have more than 60 hours, i had to declare a major in august. I did feel somewhat pressured, and i thought i wanted to major in business but i hated accounting and the introductory MIS class I took is nothing like the actual major itself. I have always liked economics and found interesting the two I have already taken extremely interested so I choose that. I couldnt get into an economics class this semester since they were already full but hopefully ill get into one in the spring.

Just follow your heart in whatever it is that you love because it might not be accounting, biology, or engineering but I guarantee that you will learn so much more if you study something you enjoy. Like others have already said, most people that graduate college dont end up working in something where they majored in. What counts is that you were disciplined enough to earn a degree

If you really like theatre, I say go for it because you will have a better time in that than in something else you dont enjoy as much.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

On a side note to what i just said about what matters is that you were disciplined enough to get a degree, even if its not something you will use in the future for your job, this lady I know is 26 and graduated college about a year and a half ago. It took her longer than most because she got married when she was like 23 and only went to school part-time afterwards. She majored in art history, but at the beginning she wanted to do interior design. Reason she changed majors was because interior design was stressing her out too much since sometimes she would stay up until like 3am doing some drawings. Well, then i asked her what kind of jobs can she get with an art history degree and she was like "um.... i dont really know, maybe work in a museum??" and when i asked her if she was going to do that, she kind of laughed and was like "no!!" So i am guessing she went to college just to go to college?? She doesnt even work. Its not because she has kids or anything because she doesnt. Her husband can afford for her to stay at home, and she enjoys not working. She mainly hangs out with her mom who also doesnt work. Anyway- I think its one thing to go to college and major in something you love regardless if you will actually go into the work field within your major, but its another thing to go and get a degree just to get one because she gave me the impression that she didnt even like art history
Old 10-29-2001, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Jess, are you leaning toward Public Relations? If you think you might want to head in that direction, there are definite steps you should be thinking about taking even this early. The good thing though, is that by doing things that will make you marketable in Public Relations, you aren't really closing any other doors as far as your future if you DON'T decide to do PR. If you'd like to discuss this, please feel free to PM me!
Old 10-29-2001, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather
I didn't pick a major until well into my sophomore year, and I don't regret it at all. I took lots of gen ed classes that I knew I needed anyway (learned that I hated history, loved pyschology and sociology). That lead me to a psych major, BUT there's not much you can do with a BS in psychology if you want to work in psychology. So once again I was faced with the "what do you want to do?" question. Sort of stumbled upon counseling and decided it was a fit for me. That's still pretty broad and there's lots of areas I could go into. But in today's world most people have a variety of jobs over their lifetime. Sometimes it's not so much what you learn but that you have the ability/desire to learn. Try not to worry about it too much, I know I did and it's not worth it!!
Old 10-29-2001, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I started off as a fine Arts major, changed to Communications at 2nd semseter soph year, changed to Creative Writing beginning of junior year. All that changing made it take longer for me to graduate, but I don't regret it one bit, as I learned so much in my CRWT major that I use now. I write for a website, and am writing a novel and screenplays--so that was definitely where i needed to be!

Major in what interests you. You'll learn more and do better.

I've changed fields 3 times since college--started off in advertising as a copywriter--which is what i thiought i wanted to do when I was in college, and I liked it, but... was drawn to film, so worked in flim industry in various capacities for several years before switching to dot-com--albeit a film industry dot-com...

what I'm trying to say is, you probaby won't end up doing in 10 years what you now think you'll be doing--so study what interests you, learn a lot, have fun, and worry about it when you graduate.

Amy
Old 10-29-2001, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
I definitely abide by the "follow your heart" rule. It's best to consider what you love doing and what will make you the happiest in the long run. I'm actually in the same boat you are in. I'm changing my major for the 2nd time. Early this semester I just started feeling that my current major was going to take me nowhere. Something important to consider is what you want out of life and where you want your career to take you in the future. I decided that I didn't want to spend the majority of my time in a lab like I would if I stayed in my current degree program. It all depends on what makes you happiest. As far as your situation goes...from what I've heard political science is a great degree and it can take you down several avenues. Best of luck in your decision.

Allison