GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,492
0 members and 1,492 guests
No Members online

Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation DO NOT CALL Registry for CELL PHONES!!

A directory of cell phone numbers will be published soon. This opens the door to solicitors calling our cell phones using up our minutes. The Federal Trade Commission has set up a do not call list. You must call FROM the number you wish to register. The number is 1-888-382-1222, OR you can click on the link below to register your cell phones on line.

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/Reg.aspx

Pass it on to your cell phone friends!

I just did it for my cell and it is good for 5 years. I registered via the web and had my home phone recertified JUST IN CASE.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. I just registered mine.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A directory of cell phone numbers will be published soon. This opens the door to solicitors calling our cell phones using up our minutes. The Federal Trade Commission has set up a do not call list. You must call FROM the number you wish to register. The number is 1-888-382-1222, OR you can click on the link below to register your cell phones on line.
Per www.snopes.com:

So, although the gist of the message quoted at the head of this page is correct in alerting consumers to a proposed directory of cell phone numbers, it is misleading in stating that such a directory will "soon be published" (the word "published" implies making a printed directory available, which the wireless consortium maintains they will not do) and in directing readers to sign up with the The National Do Not Call Registry. The latter step will not keep wireless customer listings out of the proposed Wireless 411 database — it will only add their phone numbers to a list of numbers off-limits to most telemarketers, a step which is premature (because the Wireless 411 directory has not yet been implemented) and largely unnecessary (because the Wireless 411 directory information is not supposed to be supplied to telemarketers, and because FCC regulations already in place block the bulk of telemarketing calls to cell phones).

Adding one's cell phone number to the National Do Not Call Registry (even if currently unnecessary) won't likely have any adverse effect, but customers should be aware of exactly what that action will or will not accomplish.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #1 Leading Lady Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Leading Lady
I registered! I have this one telemarketing agent thing that calls my cell phone from a 678 area code. It says please hold the next available agent will be with you...please stay on the line.....25 seconds into the call your dropped like a bad habit...that's a full minute by sprint time. I am hip to it now but I will admit I lost about 3-5 good talking minutes do to that stupid call.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't know the CT4's post was an email. I always check snopes for those. But no harm, no foul. I also re-registered my land phone for good measure.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Didn't know the CT4's post was an email. I always check snopes for those. But no harm, no foul. I also re-registered my land phone for good measure.
I don't believe in wasting my cell phone minutes and I am sure most of us at one time or another have received an unsolicited phone call on our cell phones.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Verizon (my carrier AND employer) has opted NOT to include their subscribers in any cell phone database (Do Not Call or Otherwise). I control my minutes very easily, if the name doesn't come up (programmed in my phonebook) or I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Besides since I don't have a land phone, I avoid all that mess anyway.

Please be careful in giving out your information, esp online.