Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,256
3 members and 1,253 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Alpha alumnae riding 150 miles for MS

On May 6-7, 2006, I will join thousands of cyclists for the 2006 SAM'S CLUB MS 150 Bike Tour from Dallas to Fort Worth, Texas. Last year, more than 2,000 registered cyclists rode 150 miles through North Texas, raising $1 million to help end the devastating effects of Multiple Sclerosis, a disease of the central nervous system. Each year, cyclists' efforts help the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Lone Star Chapter fund breakthrough MS research.

This year, I ride on behalf of those who can't, namely my mother, Suzanne Lindley. I can remember when, growing up on a farm, she and I would race back to the house from the barn. Since I would be on my bike and she on foot, I would ride down the lane from the barn and up the driveway while she ran the direct route through the pasture (hopefully, missing the cow patties!) and hop over the fence in the back yard. In 1983, though, we had to stop racing. Mama noticed that she would sometimes have trouble walking or speaking, the vision in one eye was coming and going, and after a day of normal activities, she was unbelievably fatigued which made the other symptoms even worse. After a complete battery of tests, she was finally diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I remember feeling like such a helpless little kid every time I heard her explain to a concerned friend that there was no cure and no way to know how she would be affected by the disease or how severely.

Twenty-three years later, I've finally found a way to do something special for my mom. This year, my personal MS150 fund raising goal is $1000, and I NEED YOUR HELP! I'm asking my Sigma Alpha sisters to make a one-time, fully tax-deductible donation that benefits the National MS Society. With your support, we can help people with this devastating disease. If you can help with my fund raising efforts, you may donate online by clicking on this link: http://ms150.org/edon.cfm?id=187745 . All donations, no matter the size, will be sincerely appreciated. While the ride is held the first weekend in May, donations for the event can be made until June 16.

In the few days that I've been actively fund raising for this event, it's amazed me at how many people have emailed me back to say one of their loved ones has been diagnosed as well. The disease touches so many peopel! MS is an unpredictable disease, but I -- along with thousands of other riders -- am committed to going the distance on the road to a cure. Thank you for your support and for helping thousands of people living with MS.

Susan Lindley Perkins
Old 04-25-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been asked if there is some way to make a donation for this event without submitting a credit card number online. The answer is ABSOLUTELY! You may mail checks made out to the National MS Society, but I'd rather not post my mailing address here. For mailing directions please email me at SDLPerkins@hotmail.com

Thanks for your support!