GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,493
2 members and 1,491 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 04-10-2007, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Gays Often struggle in HBCUs

I was having a conversation similar to this with Rashid a couple of days ago, I don't live near a HBCU, nor have I visited one....some interesting insight (even though I normally stay away from Yahoo news postings) on Gay HBCU students.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/...black_colleges

Gays often struggle at black colleges By DIONNE WALKER, Associated Press Writer
Mon Apr 9, 7:11 AM ET

HAMPTON, Va. - So lured was April Maxwell by the promise of the black college experience, with its distinct traditions and tight-knit campus life, that she enrolled at Hampton University in 2001 without even visiting the waterfront campus.

A lesbian who is open about her sexual orientation, she arrived eager to join the extended Hampton family.

Instead, "I felt like I was the only gay person on campus — it seemed like nobody was really out," said the now 24-year-old Maxwell.

She channeled her isolation into organizing a gay support group, but a panel of students and faculty denied it a charter. The panel recently denied a second attempt at chartering Students Promoting Equal Action and Knowledge, or SPEAK, headed by underclassmen after Maxwell graduated.

It's a tug-of-war that's emerging at other black schools, where students say outdated rules and homophobia block them from forming the gay campus voice common at majority white institutions.

At Hampton, where rules govern everything from overnight guests to student dress, officials insist they don't discriminate against gays. They say they're simply enforcing the regulations on student groups, and there just isn't space for another one.

But some students here see more than a conservative approach to the regulations. They, and many others at the nation's more than 100 historically black colleges and universities, say that a broader suspicion of homosexuality keeps gays in the shadows at these tradition-heavy schools.

"You've got to recognize the history of HBCUs," said Larry Curtis, vice president for student affairs at Norfolk State University, where students recently formed a gay-straight alliance. "Most of them were founded by religious organizations."

Church leaders are often cited as setting the tone regarding homosexuality across the black community.

Nationwide, black pastors have opposed gay marriage and shot down comparisons between the struggles for civil rights and gay rights; others have attacked "down low" bisexual men for contributing to the rising AIDS rates among black women, though the topic is a matter of debate in the public health community.

On historically black campuses, those tensions make life uncomfortable for gay students.

"It's kind of hard to be out on campus and still be successful," said Vincent Allen Jr., head of Safe Space at Atlanta's Morehouse College. "As an out gay man, if I wanted to pledge, that door is pretty much shut to me. That's just the way it is."

But just as gay students can rightfully request campus inclusion, so too can black college administrators deny it, argued the Rev. William Owens, an HBCU graduate and head of the Coalition of African-American Pastors in Memphis, Tenn.

Those administrators may cite the Bible, or simply personal beliefs — and they don't have to be politically correct, Owens said.

"They can say 'no' and I don't think they have to give a lot of reasons," said Owens, who joined other black pastors worried that, along with dismal marriage rates, socially accepted homosexuality "is a threat to the black family."

In 2002, the issue of gays on black campuses grabbed the attention of the Human Rights Campaign, an advocacy group that organizes annual "coming out" days.

"We would send out information to all the colleges and universities about getting national coming out packets, and for some reason the only institutions they were not hearing back from at all were the historically black colleges," said the group's diversity manager Brandon Braud, who began calling campuses.

He learned of gay groups at two historically black schools: Washington's Howard University, and Spelman College, in Atlanta.

Administrators elsewhere denied having gay students, or said that while gays attended, "they're very underground," Braud said.

He later spoke to students alleging outright hostility. Some were required to find an adviser to form gay groups — unrealistic on many small campuses, Nashville AIDS educator Dwayne Jenkins said.

Through his Brothers United Network, Jenkins mentored upstart groups at Tennessee State and Fisk universities.

"Finding an adviser was always hard because nobody wanted to be associated with the gay-straight alliance — it was the thinking that 'Oh my god, are they going to think I'm gay?'" he said.

Formed mostly across the segregation-era South, historically black colleges emerged as academic training grounds and finishing schools for blacks entering white society.

The most esteemed schools earned a reputation for students with impeccable manners and clean-cut behavior.

"So much of our campus is focused on this ideal of 'the Hampton man' and 'the Hampton woman,'" said Michael, a transfer student and SPEAK member who, like the group's president, is closeted and refused to let his last name be printed. "Men walk women home — traditional Southern values."

But students are changing.

The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network counts more than 3,000 gay-straight alliances at American high schools. Those youth will apply to colleges that can ensure their safety and will provide support, said Kevin Rome, vice president for student services at Morehouse, where a student was beaten in 2002 for an alleged same-sex pass.

"Society is changing," Rome said. "Students aren't coming here experimenting with their sexuality, they're coming here knowing.

"Our schools have to accommodate. It's inevitable."

Gay students have enjoyed far greater visibility at Virginia's large, majority white institutions.

Virginia Tech's gay alliance group hosts support meetings and social outings. The University of Virginia recently hired a coordinator for its gay resource center, a hub for 2,000 gay students at the Charlottesville campus.

At historically black schools, change is gradual. Braud has nudged along groups at 20 schools through a special black college-aimed Human Rights Campaign program.

At state-supported institutions such as Norfolk State, Curtis said it's easier to prompt change because other state universities in Virginia already have gay support groups.

At private Hampton, April Maxwell said she knew lots of gays and found support among pockets of students, regardless of sexuality.

"The people who are in charge, I really don't think they're for it," Maxwell said.

But school officials say competition is stiff on campus, where a moratorium has limited the number of student groups to 90 — and unchartered groups can't meet. New groups are chartered when other groups become inactive.

Only four spots were available during the 2006-07 school year. Forty-four organizations have applied for charters over the last two years, and 11 received them.

"No organization is given any type of special treatment," said Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Barbara Inman. "The university doesn't have a position on gay and lesbian faculty and staff members."
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

This article was in the Seattle Times on Monday.

I personally think their premise is a gloss over response on what the school admin thinks they should say. Something like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I also found overall tone of the article as bashing HBCU's. Because most schools can barely pay their light bills than worrying about some kids...

I know it is a sensitive subject but the kids coming out during college thing, I can see the need of a pure student led group with leadership of the greater city wide LBGT community as advisors. I have discussed this idea with some in the community and they thought it was a great idea... Because all kids need mentoring and there are way to come out and then there are ways not to come out--like using crack cocaine then sleeping around with anything...

However, from the admin point of view, these schools are funded or trusteed by major Christian Religious organizations and are private schools. Coming out on the religious right... Well, I have seen that happen and it ain't pretty.

The opposite is a ton of guys jump off Morehouse College's buildings... I knew 2-3 that committed suicide when I attended Spelman and that was in the late 1980's. Some had to do with the choice of being outwardly gay. Others had unchecked mental illness.

My opinion: The kids should have their group, period. They should not restrict these kids. The kids are confident in themselves and their sexuality. I also think that these same kids could come up with creative ways to be of service to the schools through educational campaigns and political causes. But, I do know the kids need to soften their readiness to strike hard. Because the old-heads in these schools... Good luck trying to change them...

However, I would rather have these kids safe than to be attacked or killed because of their sexuality.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a point that the school may make that they may actually believe is valid. For example, a guy that I know was trying to start a new fraternity at an HBCU back in the early 90's. There were a number of people involved in the group. And the group was organized to the point that the group still recognizes the guys involved as their frat. There was even another "chapter" on the campus of another HBCU. Yet, the school refused to give them a charter.

Similarly, here, there may be a plethora of reasons that a school does not give a student group recognition. It may not necessarily be a singling out of that group b/c they are tied to the interests of gay or lesbian or bi-sexual peoples. However, I know that it will be hard to obtain space on campus to meet, etc. without formal recognition and those meetings may be the place that the student needs to go to get support from other students.

It's a difficult problem and HBCUs are stricter generally than majority schools. Shoot, when I went to an HBCU, we couldn't even have male company in our rooms - period, no visiting hours, nothing. And ... if you didn't get inside those doors by midnight, you were locked out. B/c *as a lady* you didn't hang out all night long and you didn't have male company. This is what the school believed. Now when I attended a majority institution - anything went. It was all good. They didn't care who came into your room, who spent the night over. There was not even a "mother" of the dorm to *see you* if you came in late.

All that I can say is that if someone is looking for an administration that is going to be on the cutting edge and not conservative, then an HBCU is probably not for you. And how can we expect HBCUs to be any different than the AA population as a whole - as a whole, AAs are conservative when it comes to issues like homosexuality. Accordingly, it's not surprising that Historically *Black* College and Universities may be taking a conservative stance when it comes to these issues.

To some extent, the level of conservativeness, if it gets to the point of wanting to push it underground is not good b/c this is largely the same problem that we are facing in the AA community with pushing the downlow and all the related issues that are significantly impacting us underground. It is not good as any of us who are paying attention to our HIV numbers, our numbers of male suicide, etc. - all going up. We have to begin to address these issues and differences. Addressing the issues may not mean encouraging someone in their behavior as we all make choices in our behavior, no matter what it is, and we cannot require anyone to encourage us or necessarily be on our side just b/c *we* want to do something, but we can at least not try to act like differences don't exist.

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyWicked View Post
At Hampton, where rules govern everything from overnight guests to student dress, officials insist they don't discriminate against gays. They say they're simply enforcing the regulations on student groups, and there just isn't space for another one.

Last edited by SummerChild; 04-10-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

i was naive enough to think we didn't have any gay/lesbian students when i was in college. Sure, there was one or two guys who coordinated the homecoming fashion show, or a young lady that played a sport that you NEVER saw with a young man (or much less out on a date), but who payed attention to those type of high-school rumors? It was too stereotypical to be taken seriously. After graduation - people came out. then it was like, OH. o.k. so and so was gay. i wonder how we missed that?

however, a recent development when i go to football games and basketball games: i see some young men near the band imitating the dancers. Or some guys just really really really doing too much with their high fashion outfits (because you know, at an HBCU you need to be DRESSED to attend a sporting event ).

This is all new to me, so maybe the campuses aren't any more or less accepting of "the lifestyle" its just that students are more comfortable with expressing who they are.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone has a right to organize whether you agree with them or not. By thinking that there aren't any black people who are lesbian or gay, means that some people have their heads up their azzes. What's the big deal? Are they afaid they will perform some kind of ceremony and "convert" them to homosexuality?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm

At my HBCU, I don't feel gays struggle to the degree that is conveyed in the article. I don't think it is due to the administration though. They don't really help...nor are they actively trying to cater to any form of LGBT student body (let alone the regular student body).

I don't feel the LGBT students struggle where I'm at because we have strength in numbers. If there is any issue with sexuality...or with people who are misunderstanding or intolerant, you turn to your peers. That doesn't mean that there aren't people on the yard who aren't struggling with their sexuality by themselves, but generally, the open community is ok.

Though, I do know and have experienced instances where the administration and/or faculty blatantly gave you the weird look and gave you some moot excuse as to why something couldn't happen. It does suck. It can be said that it isn't due to homophobia, but I know it exists and it's prevelant from what I heard from people in various departmental positions. Oh well, I'm only on one side of the fence tho...

The woman in the article entered college in 2001, so I understand how she felt because that's how I felt in 2001, but within these past 6 years, things are getting better within the community on a personal level. There seem to be more open LGBT people every year.

For example, we had a fledgling LGBT org on campus. It's hard to keep it up and going like most relatively new orgs, but the LGBT community is still trying because what the admin will not do for us, we'll do for ourselves. We need more social and educational events like all student populations...besides just free AIDS testing...