GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,513
2 members and 1,511 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Should I rush again in the spring for a frat that i didn't get a bid for in the fall?

I am a freshman at a large public university. I was really interested in going greek but i didn't know where to begin because i didn't know anyone at any frats. So i started at formal rush. i checked out quite a few fraternities and I was set in joining Fraternity A. It truly felt like that was the only frat that was right for me in terms of the guys and what they believed in. The fact of the matter is that they already had given out 90% of there bids (pledge class of about 25) before rush week even started along with a few other frats. At the first rush event they probably had about 150 guys there (informal pizza) just to get to meet some of the rushes. They called back about twenty of those guys for a similar event and i was one of them. I talked to the rush chair today though and they said that they were done handing out bids but encouraged me to rush again in the spring. I can't tell if he's just telling me to be nice or actually wants me to rush again. Im not typically a very self conscious person but I do know i really want to join this fraternity. Unfortunately i don't want to waste my time again in the spring if they don't want me to join (spring rush class is like 10- 15 btw). I got to know a lot of the guys and i liked them a lot and i'm pretty sure they liked me too but i just don't know what to do. Out of all the fraternities i visited, that was the only one that i felt i truly belonged.

Last edited by rhcpfan09; 09-21-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I also have gotten a bid from another house I like but not nearly as much as I like this one

Last edited by rhcpfan09; 09-21-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Personally, I think if a fraternity wants you they will bid you. UNLESS, like a sorority there is a limit to the number of pledges they CAN take (I'm not up on the schools that do that for men).

Anywho, an honest approach would be the best thing. See if you can talk 1-on-1 with the Rush Chair. If he's a good one he will let you down easy or encourage your spring rush.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like they are treating you as a second tier potential. I would look elsewhere. I am sure you would be able to find a great group of men who wish you to be their brother.

Last edited by Ghostwriter; 09-21-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Plus you mentioned [fraternity] at [college]. They may not like that they have been brought up on GC.
Or that you asked the same question in their forum. Remove your post from that forum and edit your posts in this thread asap to remove those references, and hope that those how have quoted you will do the same.

Beyond that, what banditone and said.

[ETA:] And by all means, look at other groups with an open mind.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-21-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It's probably not the worst thing in the world mentioning a specific group since you've only been positive so far, but I'd nip it here. Don't mention any specific details that will give anything away (colors, philanthropy, house description, president has red hair, etc.)

Feel free to think about rushing again in the spring, but I would start actively looking at other fraternities. There are probably several you just didn't get to know well enough. Although I love my sorority and can't imagine myself anywhere else, the truth is there are probably several there you'd mesh with great. If you don't find any after seriously keeping your options open and maintaining a positive attitude then you can try again. But I bet you find a home and in 6 months can't even imagine you didn't think of those guys FIRST. And give the smaller houses a shot. In formal rush they can seem invisible but can offer a lot.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Don't mention any specific details that will give anything away (colors, philanthropy, house description, president has red hair, etc.)
He's already given everything away -- he has said exactly what chapter he is talking about, and I'm betting the rush chair of that chapter would have a good idea who the OP is.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Sounds like they are treating you as a second tier potential. I would look elsewhere. I am sure you would be able to find a great group of men who wish you to be their brother.

Plus you mentioned Sigma Chi at IU. They may not like that they have been brought up on GC.
Yes and yes. I doubt very, very much that they have a cap on the number of guys they can take - so look for a group who really wants you.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

So guys i just want to say thanks for all the help, but the rush chair actually called me today and presented me with a bid, apparently they still could give out a couple more. Im really excited, and thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcpfan09 View Post
So guys i just want to say thanks for all the help, but the rush chair actually called me today and presented me with a bid, apparently they still could give out a couple more. Im really excited, and thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it.
Congrats! Glad it worked out for you!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Congrats, I'm glad you got a bid to the fraternity you wanted. Have fun and enjoy it all - those years will fly by.