Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,138
2 members and 1,136 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Homeless shelter philanthropy?

Hello everyone! I am the philanthropy chair of my sorority, and have been trying to plan a recruitment philanthropy event that involves helping the homeless. I attempted to get in touch with a local shelter to ask about volunteering there, but have received no response, and I only have two weeks to plan an event. In the past, we have made and decorated scarves to give to a homeless shelter; I thought it would be nice to make something for the homeless, but I'm not sure what. Has anyone done something like this with shelters in the past? (Since it isn't long before Valentine's Day, I thought something that went with that theme might be nice.) Thank you so much for any help you can give!!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Whenever I've worked with shelters, they've usually had their own "wish list" for what they need for the population they serve. So even if you haven't heard back from the group you contacted, try to find a website for them and see if they have a list like that. Or if they don't have a site, google to see if there are other shelters in the area or contact your local United Way. It's important to know what they need and will take because some shelters have very strict policies about only being able to take brand new items and some will take used items. Depending on what part of the country you're in, you could just go ahead and make (or have a 'drive') for something you know would be helpful this time of year -- the scarves sound cute if it's cold where you are, or a new blanket or used coat drive, personal hygiene or baby item drives, etc. You can just add a cute "valentine-y" name to it like "Warm coats, warm valentine's hugs". (ok, that's really cheesy, but it's the best I came up with on the spot -- you get the idea)
Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You could do a canned food drive. College students may not be able to donate as much as other members of the community.

We work with the homeless shelter and women & children's center, and most of the work we do there is cleaning. I've helped sort out old cans and throw reeeeeally old ones away. We also got to read to the kids, which was a lot of fun. Good luck on getting in touch with them! Maybe see if there's a different person/phone number you should try instead of the one you tried before? I'm not sure how they operate, but it's worth looking into.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
The Alumnae Chapter I belong to did a canned food drive once, as well as a clothing drive.

When I was pledging A Phi O, we once helped served food at the local food shelter.

I conducted a storytime once as part of my job at the local shelter for women and children.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as making things for the homeless, my university's local MGC council has done the standard food baskets around Christmas and Thanksgiving. I haven't heard of anyone else on my campus doing anything like that at any other time of the year.

As far as doing things for the homeless, my chapter has a semesterly "24 hour canned food drive" where all donations (non-perishable foods, and in the fall, school supplies for children) are donated to a local shelter. At different times during the semester, some members visit this shelter and assist with different activities (sorting donations, transporting goods from one site to another, etc). They're ALWAYS looking for help, so there's never a lack of opportunities.

My university also has a student volunteer organization that does nothing but plan and host community service events. If your campus has something like that, you may ask them to co-host an event with your GLO or give you some information about a shelter that needs some assistance.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to rushnquick
I came up with an idea to have a Build-A-Bear day for my chapter. After the holidays I’m sure we all see the drop in giving, so with Easter being my favorite holiday (and often overlooked) I figured we could focus our attention on that time of year. We are inviting family and friends (Greek and non-Greek), and have established suggested donation amount which would cover the teddy bear and a really cute outfit. We’re having our guest come in to Build-A-Bear during a scheduled slot of time to make the bears and all of the bears made will be donated to the Women In Need shelter in NYC. To top it all off, the profits from the donations will go to our national philanthropy which is Cancer Research.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

one of the shelters here requests that people prepare meals (off site) and then serve / interact with the patrons for the evening. you sign up way in advance and can do it one-time, or schedule regular days (monthly) to do it.

it's a good bonding activity for your chapter to cook the food, and it's providing a service to the staff at the shelter as well as the patrons. you end up spending the entire afternoon there!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Shelters always can use more food, clothes and hygeinic products, wherever they are. Also, you may also consider beating your feet and making a beeline to the local shelter to ask them in person.