Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,468
2 members and 1,466 guests
JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 11-27-2003, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Houses

Greetings!

I would be very interested in hearing the experiences of Fraternity or Sorority folks who have managed to acquire Chapter Houses on their campus.

These days - especially considering the price of real estate and the attitudes of a lot of College boards - I would imagine that getting a new Chapter House would be quite a challenge!

Mike Wolf
Gamma Beta Lambda Fraternity
Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TKEmanKM Send a message via Yahoo to TKEmanKM
Our university got the local municipality to make fraternities and sororities owning property illegal.

Go figure huh?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TKEmanKM
Our university got the local municipality to make fraternities and sororities owning property illegal.

Go figure huh?
Is that in the borough, the township, or both? Even so...it's easy to get around that.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZOgirl02 Send a message via Yahoo to DZOgirl02
In my school it is illegal for more than 7 girls to live together at once or else it is considered a brothal. But the new president of our school is thinking about changing everything so we can actually have houses on campus. The only problem would be financing it because we are a local sorority. But we have 16 years of alumni, so who knows maybe they will help.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In my school it is illegal for more than 7 girls to live together at once or else it is considered a brothal.
That is actually an urban legend! Check out snopes.com for more explanation...

http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp
Old 02-04-2004, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZOgirl02 Send a message via Yahoo to DZOgirl02
Wow, thank you. It is hard to believe because that has been all I have been hearing since I came to school but that is very helpful for the upcoming year! Thanks again
Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
our house was built JUST for us in 1929 its old- but its big and i love it- its practically my second home- and i'll be living there this fall yay

it has 26 bedrooms (3 suites) - 9 bathrooms- a ballroom- a library and sitting room- a china room- a massive kitchen and basement... and it has 4 floors our alumni paid off our mortgage in 1965heres a link to a picture:
http://nusigmachi.tripod.com

and there are pictures of the inside on our alumni site:
www.nusigmachi.com

these two sites will be joining soon
Old 03-31-2004, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. You girls have a really nice house. At my school, fraternities and sororities aren't allowed to have houses.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:14 AM
GreekChat Member

wow what a beautiful house. i have seen some amazing houses and some horrible houses lately.

at U of M Ann Arbor, they have gorgeous mansions that the sororities and fraternities live in.

I have also seen some of the houses here at emu like the local fraternity arm of honor, somone mentioned that it was a step form being condemmed.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Susan_Renee Send a message via Yahoo to Susan_Renee
Only frats have houses here and actually, not even all of them have houses. The only ones that do are TKE, ATO, KA, PIKE, LXA, Sigma Pi, Sigma Chi, and AGR. There is a female dorm on campus where each of its five floors have a suite belonging to the following five sororities: Phi Mu, AOPi, Alpha Gamma Delta, DZ, and ChiO. The other frats and sororities have nothing on campus (at least as far as I know). So unfair! I think we should all have houses!
Old 11-26-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uiowasigmapi
yeah... Its really tough these days.

We are currently looking to acquire a property within the next year or so, and its very difficult here. We HAD a house 10 years ago when we left campus, but it was turned into a nice apartment complex before we came back.

The problem is the city board of supervisors wont re-zone anything fraternity, and to make matters worse, when a house leaves campus, the university instantly buys it up. - makes it quite a challenge.

Currently we have a 12 bedroom "off campus" house that we use as the center of events, even though we cant put letters up.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
The house my sorority has now is pretty awesome. It's known for being tiny (it is) but for being very homey. It's awesome and I love it. But only 5 people can sleep there! The "double" room is VERY tight. But one of the fraternities lived here before we got the house (late 90s I believe?) and they had all this crappy dark wood panneling all over the chapter room...that got taken down, bright paint got put up, composites got thrown up on the walls, our family trees are in the stairwell surrounded by our pledge class paddles. The paddles have actually had to spill into the kitchen overtop/beside the door. It's very homey. We could use some new carpet and a new front door, but it's home
Old 12-28-2004, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter was open in 1958 and we recieved our house in 1974. We had Greek Row built that same time (Phi Mu, Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma and Pi Kappa Phi). Its actually a good story that an Alumn of one of the sororities married an alum of one of the fraternities and they were very well off. Those years they had the houses built and donated them to each of the chapter.

In the 3 sororities on my campus, the girls can't live in them, because back in 1974 4 or more girls living together was considered a brothel, so ours was built for Lodging, but the fraternities are allowed to live in theirs. They are really spacy nice homes.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Omega Xi at Murray State

Murray State's (Murray, Kentucky) Omega Xi Sorority has a very nice house.

The Omega Xi Sorority House

Only one other sorority (a member of NPC) at Murray State University has a house. The other four (all NPC) have large stand-alone chapter suites - i.e. no live-in.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Quote:
Originally posted by GammaPhiBabe
That is actually an urban legend! Check out snopes.com for more explanation...

http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp
"Men view the notion of large numbers of women living together as strangely erotic, mentally envisioning a veritable candy store of comely and available sex partners, each of them bedding down for the night virginally clutching her teddy bear close to her babydoll-clad, pulsating 38-24-36 nakedness...Add to the mix the "college girl" element and throw in the "sorority girl" detail (presumed promiscuity)..."

LMAO

RUgreek