GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,481
2 members and 1,479 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 03-22-2001, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile BIGS & littles

I was kinda wondering what made everyone else choose their bigs and littles?
I pledged Phi Sigma Sigma last fall after going through formal rush. I had met some of the sisters at my freshamn orientation in June before school started. I knew then and there that I was going to rush Phi Sig and that was what I was going to do. One of the girls I met that night, I really felt I connected with. After talking for over an hour, we discovered that we had so much in common. We were from the same area, had some mutual friends, and her cousin was one of my good friends. We talked over IM over the summer a little and when it came time to choose your big, she was at the top of my list. She later told me that she had claimed me as her little at my orientaion. Our big/little pinning ceremony was on her birthday last fall. Well this spring I decided I wanted to take a little. I had been trying to get a friend of one of my friends to come out and meet everyone since last fall. Well as soon as she met everyone, she was psyched to join. Her enthusiasm and compassion towards the sorority, all of the sisters and everything that Phi Sig is founded upon, made me so proud. Even though I had not been a sister for very long, I knew that there was no one else that would complete my lineage more perfectly than she. I had her fooled the whole big little week, she even confessed her disappointment to me that I was not her big. Her big little pinning was just 2 weeks ago, on my birthday. I think it was a sign! My lineage is one of the things I am most proud of, we all have the same mentality about what a sorority is and we are all willing to work towards it.

What are everyone elses stories?

------------------
Stand in our shoes...or walk in our shadows!
Phi Sigma Sigma- Gamma Pi
Old 03-25-2001, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
In Alpha Phi Omega, brothers and pledges fill out a survey of what characteristics they have and what ideals they hold precious, and from those surveys, the Pledgemaster matches those who are compatible.
Old 03-25-2001, 06:58 PM
Unregistered-

My sister-mother chose me because we had been friends for almost 2 years before I joined AGD. She was there for every BF break-up and bad roommate, so it was only natural that she was going to be my sister-mom!

And this Christmas I get to fly to New York to be her maid of honor at her wedding!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!
Old 03-26-2001, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
I accepted my bid, but wasn't pinned for another 2 weeks after. During that time the sisters had a super bowl party and I knew just about NOBODY there. Near the end of the night I started talking with this one sister who I just automatically clicked with! Her and I were IN LOVE with each other from the start, we both loved hockey, Dave Matthews, The Doors, etc.. she was actually 2nd in line to get a little and I was supposed to have another sister as my sis-mom, but Amanda begged and pleaded to switch places and take me as a sis-daughter so that is how I got my mommy!! My sis-daughter and I also got along from the start of structured recruitment. The second party, we were telling the girls what a sis-mom was and that they are picked b/c you really bond with and have a lot in common. When they said that, my baby girl looked up at me and smiled!!!! I fell IN LOVE with her right then and there!!!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, big brothers are called pledge fathers and are chosen by the heads of the pledging program. Potential pledge fathers fill out applications, and from that pool of applicants, pledge fathers and pledges are matched up based on whose personalities will fit together best. It is based on rush, so the system isn't perfect, but it has worked really well thus far.