GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,484
4 members and 1,480 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands, QueenD, Titchou

Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going on a cruise...

Hey ladies... so I can't get my hubby to fly but I can get him on a boat!!!

So I am working out the route of travel. We are leaving KY and traveling to a port on the alantic in FL. I was wondering what the opinions were of sisters living in GA area about detouring off I75 and taking back roads to Jacksonville, FL. It looks like there are roads between Macon and Jacksonville... what are your all's thoughts?

Because then we can travel route 1 from Jacksonville and head south from there. We aren't leaving on the cruise till Monday evening... so we can make it a three day trip down or a two day trip.

Thanks!
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

No help here on the route, but my kids are on a cruise right now and are docking in Tampa tomorrow morning. My daughter will fly back so I can drive her directly to band camp. They emailed me from 'the kid zone' and called me once and it sounded like they were having a blast. My son will stay in florida for the rest of the week with his dad!

Have a great time!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm terrible about directions, etc. Hubby is away for the night but I'll have respond with his comments tomorrow!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

road trip

Hey A!

I have made this trip 3x since April down 75. Stay on the interstate. It is less stressful- though there is construction between Macon and Valdosta. You could Take I-16 from Macon to Savannah and pick -up 95, if you wantted to check it out, but otherwise those 2 lane roads are crazy frustrating!

Call for details!
M
Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

DO NOT attempt back roads in this neck of the woods unless you want to extend your drive time by lots and lots and lots!!!!

I speak from lots of experience

Now, if you have nowhere to be, the towns along the way are quite lovely!

Also, US1 from Jacksonville south takes forever. I-95 is much, much quicker.

If you wanted to detour in Savannah, the detour from I-75 via I-16 is a reasonable hike, and it's not that much different to take I-95 vs. I-75 as far as traffic is concerned.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

A Floridian's opinion...

I drove yesterday from Chattanooga to Orlando. Traffic was great...9 hrs 15 minutes door-to-door with 3 children and a dog (yes, I fly low!). Straight down 75 to the Turnpike, headed east and ended northeast of Orlando. If you're leaving from Canaveral, take the Turnpike to the Beachline (528) and it will all but literally dump you into the port (two turns...maybe?!).
US1 can be scenic, but this time of year it's simply a HOT and MISERABLE route! A1A is the same thing. 95 is by far preferred, but if you choose 95 you're swinging farther east to come back a tad west. The most direct is 75/Tpk/528. If your port is Miami, take the Tpk on south and pick up 95 later.
Cruising is an amazing vaca--just did it this spring for the first time. I've asked for years to go, now hubby is trying to figure how we can do it again before the boys enter HS (all the kids around here go to summer school b/c there is so much overcrowding in our schools!).
PM me if you need more!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey ladies... Thanks... I really want to take I-1 or A1A because I would love to see the little towns and all but I guess that it would be best then to just take the most direct. I am just a girl who likes the road less traveled. I did that coming back from PA... it was nice to see the little steel towns of PA and Ohio. I basically traveled the Ohio River all the way home... highly recommend it!

We are planning on making a stop somewhere along the way for the night but I don't know where... it will depend on if we leave on Saturday or Sunday... but where would be a good place south of Atlanta on I75?

Lynn... we aren't going till September so no hurry on what hubby has to say! Just let me know!

As to cruising:
This is my first American cruise (I did a cruise of the Greek Isles between hs and college and LOVED IT) and my hubby's first all time... so I am hoping that it is really great so that we can do it again in the future. It isn't long or anything (just 4 nights) but I think perfect for a first timer, who doesn't fly. It also has only two ports, but again for a guy who swears he isn't getting off the boat... this is a good thing. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rosey
We have never done a cruise because we both get so dang SEASICK! Not a pretty sight....

We are getting ready for a week in Yosemite! All of our kids, daughter-in-law, two grandchildren, plus my 16-year-old nephew in two campsites - will be great fun!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Macon
Tifton
Valdosta

are all possibilities in Georgia on I-75 as a place to stay. Although, it might be worth your time to find a B&B that's not TOO far off the beaten path somewhere along the way. I know a great one in Milledgeville [about 40 minutes east of Macon]

http://www.antebelluminn.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Blue Highways are beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 View Post
I am just a girl who likes the road less traveled. I did that coming back from PA... it was nice to see the little steel towns of PA and Ohio. I basically traveled the Ohio River all the way home... highly recommend it!
I threaten to take US27 from downtown Chattanooga to the old site of Boardwalk and Baseball one of these days! I certainly understand! Come down sometime Nov-Feb and take the "Blue Highways" and enjoy them when you can breathe. You'll figure out why we have snowbirds!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

These directions are sooo much better than hubby would probably say but you've go time before you leave.

I would recommend checking out the GA DOT website (GA Navigator) to see where the construction is.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Is US27 the same that runs through KY?

My aunt and I took US 25 from here to Brevard NC the summer I worked there. I would love to do that route and the one that Jimmy Buffett talks about in the panhandle of FL.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Will I ever stop rocking????

HELLO LADIES!!! So I'm back and really look forward to my world to stop moving... even when I'm not....

OH we had soooo much fun... can't even tell you all about it.

So apparently I-95 is faster from KY then I75 according to the navigation system that came with our rental car... so hubby and I ended up taking A1A and Highway 1 afterall for parts of the journey.... glad we did it... never need to do it again.

Royal Carribean was great! Love it... the serve was awesome... the food excellent. Coco Cay was beautiful... the water was so blue and the fish were so colorful. Nassau was okay... never need to go back. I'll post pictures soon.

Oh did I tell you all that the CHIPPENDALE Dancers were on board vacationing??? VERY NICE EYE CANDY poolside.

Also there was a FORD corporation group on board which got me to thinking... we need to have an Alpha Gam event at sea... either Convention or VLC or just for kicks! I had all these visions of Red, Buff, and Green all over the ship! With the shows, the excellent food included in the price... it was cheaper for hubby and I to cruise then it would have been to just go to the beach. About $70 a day for each of us... awesome. We are looking forward to go again next year and trying a bigger ship... maybe going to the US Virgin Islands this time!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

There's something in the Risk Management Section about no events involving alcohol and water (ocean, pools, etc).
Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Then cruising is out because you are greeted at the dock with drinks... with alcohol optionial. Too bad.... it would be really awesome.