Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,514
0 members and 1,514 guests
No Members online

Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Parents Go on Strike, Move to Front Yard

DELTONA, Fla. - Even though the dishes, garbage and dirty laundry were piling up, homeowners Cat and Harlan Barnard were getting no help from their two children.

After begging and pleading with their 17-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter to help out around the house, the Barnards decided they were fed up. So they went on strike — and moved out to the front yard.

"This was our last-ditch effort," Cat Barnard said.

Since Monday morning, the Barnards have lived in a tent in their front yard, going inside the house only to use the restroom or shower. The couple sits on lawn chairs and roasts marshmallows over a hibachi.

Their children were confused on the first day when they came home from school. "It's extremely inconvenient," said their son, Ben Barnard. "Every time the phone rings, we have to run outside to give it to them."

Whether the couple's actions could be regarded as abandonment depends on how much guidance the parents are still providing and "if the children are suffering as a result," said Carrie Hoeppner, a spokeswoman with the Department of Children & Families in Orange County.

But Cat Barnard says the strike may already be paying dividends. She noted that her daughter washed her own clothes for the first time on Tuesday.

"This is war," Cat Barnard said. "I love my babies, but I don't like what they're doing."
Old 12-09-2004, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I've seen this on two different national news programs -- WTF? How is this news?

Anyway, um, if your kids are teenagers and lazy asses who don't do anything around the house, that's probably because you raised them to be that way. Ben sounds like a total brat, bitching about having to take the phone outside.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
How come when someone else does it, the teenager cleans their room...

When I go on strike all I get is grief, and a house so bad, it takes forever to clean?