GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,315
4 members and 1,311 guests
John, UW_dawg

Old 08-19-2002, 01:08 AM
hendrixski

Learned on GC

What are some Cool things you learned on GC? I've only been on for a couple o' months an' I'd like to share some of the more interesting things I've heard

*TKE is actually not the biggest Frat out there (contrary to what people whom I know in TKE had me believe), but I forgot what the biggest was it's on a thread on here somewheres.
* Many Frats were started by Freemasons, and the rituals adopted from masonic rituals.
* Many Sororities can't have houses due to local laws prohibiting more than a set amount of womyn from living in a house. Otherwise it's labeled a brothel.
*Masonic Organizations worldwide donate $3 mill to charity daily (I still dunno if I should believe it or not, but there are a LOT of masonic organizations). I REALLY wanna find out what the statistic is for how much greek organizations contribute yearly!
* Many frats out there, especially in the NorthEast, don't have houses per se. Many have just an appt. that some o' the brothers rent, or sections of the dorms, or school sponsored "greek housing" which can suck. many have none at all.
* People love to start flame wars.
* Moderators love to pull posts with flame wars.
* There are so many cool rush/social events out there that I wanna try.
etc.

I was just wonderin' if anyone else shares my enthusiasm. Or if you think those are at all noteworthy lessons from GC. What are some of the cool things you learned???
Old 08-19-2002, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
i guess the most important thing i've learned is that i'm not alone. we tend to get caught up in our chapter, and forget that we are just one person out of millions of actives and alums. it's nice to know that other chapters have the same problems as ours, and that they work them out just as we do. it's also put me into contact with other sigma kappas, who i normally wouldn't have any contact with at all. though they're in different chapters we share that "mystic bond" and it just makes me smile

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 08-19-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

What I've learned on GC

Nothing I can remeber. Oh...I learned that people in Texas can find me.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

That brothel thing is a complete urban legend.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shine
Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
That brothel thing is a complete urban legend.
Actually, it isn't. I don't think it's actually called the "brothel law", but here in Arizona it is on the books that 6 or more unrelated women living in a house is illegal.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

i've learned a lot here, like all the weird things the southern people do (no offense) but i just can't imagine rush being so... structred. I realize how lax our chapter really has it. (our fingernails don't match) it is cool, there are some great ideas of how to help you house get stronger thats really cool. oh yea- and people admit their house isn't perfect. lord knows we all need help at times....rambling sorry!
Tau love and mine
Lil E
Old 08-19-2002, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Quote:
Originally posted by Shine

Actually, it isn't. I don't think it's actually called the "brothel law", but here in Arizona it is on the books that 6 or more unrelated women living in a house is illegal.

She's right...Here in PA, if 5 or more unrelated women live together, we're breaking the law.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

From www.snopes.com (sorry this is long, but I can't make a direct link):
Origins: This mistaken belief has been recorded since the 1960s and is probably a great deal older than that. It's possible its origin lies in a mental confluence of half-remembered tidbits about old time "blue laws" mixed with a healthy dollop of badly-parsed newer input about zoning laws adopted by various communities in more contemporary times. Short and sweet, if any so-called "brothel laws" anywhere tie a building's classification as a bordello to the number of occupants, we've yet to find documentation that proves this.

Some municipalities do indeed have zoning laws prohibiting more than a specified number of non-family members (male or female) from living together, but not even in those cases would a household in violation of those codes be labeled a brothel. Brothels earn such designations solely on the basis of what goes on in them, not upon how many women inhabit particular buildings.

Even in communities that carry such housing restrictions on their books, sororities and fraternities are exempted from them. The thrust of such laws is to set limits on how many people may reasonably inhabit what were meant to be single-family dwellings, not to enjoin those who are living in more communal settings in buildings meant for such purposes. Were such laws to apply to those latter forms of housing, local YWCAs would have been shut down and padlocked, as would a variety of nurses' residences.

Collegians have been explaining the lack of sorority houses on various campuses through this flawed factlet for many a year. Richard Roeper noted this legend in 1994, calling it "the most widespread piece of university folklore making the rounds" and estimating from entries on collegiate bulletin boards that it was being told on at least 100 campuses.

Men view the notion of large numbers of women living together as strangely erotic, mentally envisioning a veritable candy store of comely and available sex partners, each of them bedding down for the night virginally clutching her teddy bear close to her babydoll-clad, pulsating 38-24-36 nakedness (which they wouldn't if they'd ever been locked in a women's dorm overnight -- nothing kills rampant sexual fantasy more quickly than a cold eyeful of reality.) Add to the mix the "college girl" element (young, nubile flesh) and throw in the "sorority girl" detail (presumed promiscuity), and it's easy to see why this tidbit about brothel zoning has been so stubbornly promulgated.

Barbara "daydream believers" Mikkelson

Last updated: 6 August 2002

If AZ is different, I'd like to see the state code that supports it. I am willing to bet there are women's shelters in the state, for example, or a hotel (which unless it's tiny has more than 6 women there) - or for that matter I bet there are dormitories in AZ with more than six women in them.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

For that matter, here are sorority houses in Pennsylvania
http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~panhel/ ("All Panhellenic Council Chapters have Chapter House") and Arizona http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/gr...ity_living.php ("Many of our sororities have chapter houses, an aspect of sorority life that distinguishes the University of Arizona from many other campuses").
Old 08-19-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If AZ is different, I'd like to see the state code that supports it. I am willing to bet there are women's shelters in the state, for example, or a hotel (which unless it's tiny has more than 6 women there) - or for that matter I bet there are dormitories in AZ with more than six women in them.
I apologize if this came off this way, but I wasn't trying to discredit what you were saying. As it was explained to me when I rushed, and by Panhel, and ASU officials, there is a county or state law stating that 6 or more unrelated women living together in a HOUSE is illegal.

And it only applies to houses where there isn't direct supervision by some legal management licesnced and approved by the state. Women's shelters, hotels, and residence halls are all licened and have people like directors, managers and RA's living there or working there at all times.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For that matter, here are sorority houses in Pennsylvania
http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~panhel/ ("All Panhellenic Council Chapters have Chapter House") and Arizona http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/gr...ity_living.php ("Many of our sororities have chapter houses, an aspect of sorority life that distinguishes the University of Arizona from many other campuses").
I go to ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, which is a completely different school, in a completely different county from UA. Maybe it is a Maricopa County law and not a Pima County law. All I know is that due to a LAW, our sororities have lived in special on-campus sorority housing since at least the 60's.

But unfortunately, unlike you, I don't have time to research obscure laws and links about sorority houses.

Don't get so defensive next time.

I never said it was a BROTHEL law, either.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
FuzzieAlum, this law is actually on the books in PA. If you don't believe me, check out www.dumblaws.com.

1. It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house
together because that constitutes a brothel. However
up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the
law.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:12 PM
hendrixski

yep

Yeah, Ariesrising
I heard that for the first time here too... I mean, we always call ourselves a "frat" but then I hear "Why would you call your fraternity a 'frat'; Would you call your country a cunt?"
I suppose it's regional.

There was a whole thread about the Brothel laws and greek housing. Seems to me like it's quite valid.

PS I still wonder if anyone has the stats as to how much greek orgs contribute to charity yearly.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: yep

Quote:
Originally posted by hendrixski
Yeah, Ariesrising
I heard that for the first time here too... I mean, we always call ourselves a "frat" but then I hear "Why would you call your fraternity a 'frat'; Would you call your country a cunt?"
LOL, exactly. I can just imagine someone say "Ooh, I just love my c*nt! It's big, free, and for anyone who wants to get in!" Or "This is the best c*nt in the world, it's good enough to die for!"

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 08-19-2002 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Eagle chick...and as for my school...

"Maricopa County : No more than six girls may live in any house. "

Nope, I'm actually like edumacated and shit.

Last edited by Shine; 08-19-2002 at 04:21 PM.