Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,340
3 members and 1,337 guests
modorney, navane, Sciencewoman

Old 01-08-2002, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Background checks on alumni?

Hi All,

I'm curious to know... Do your organizations do any kind of checking to see if an alumnus is in good standing before he is allowed to join an alumni chapter? As far as I know, Delta Zeta's National HQ checks to make sure that a woman is a sister in good standing before she is allowed to officially join an alumnae chapter.

Just wondering how other orgs handle this...

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2002, 08:38 PM

Well, since pretty much everyone in our alum chapter was in the same collegiate chapter, we know we are all sisters and none of us were terminated or anything.

But if someone showed up and said she was from our chapter at Yale (or someplace else where we are not) or was very reluctant to talk about her college years, I might feel inclined to investigate her a little bit.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I believe TKE checks up on them because the alumni associations still falls under TKE international's rules.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Ideally, in AGD, an Alumnae Chapter Perm. Secretary should send a letter to the new area AC to let them know a sister is coming into the area..of course, usually, the sister contacts the new AC first. In AGD, even if you did a Sister Search on the Member Services website, it will tell you that the sister is/is not in good standing.

I haven't personally checked on new members coming into our group (goddness, I wish there were more, lol), but I would if that person wanted to become an officer. I do try to send out letters to the new AC if I get a change of address and I contact the sister to see if she is interested.

It makes good sense to find out whatever you can about someone who wants to become an alumna in your org...will save any future problem when someone is found to be "not in good standing". Sometimes the "problem" can be successfully resolved so that it would not affect future standing.