GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,414
0 members and 1,414 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2002, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

An anti-Greek College tries once more...

Just thought I'd post this. But, this is the first week of classes at the University of Rio Grande. Well, every registered student gets a Student Handbook/Assignment Book. Please note, that since it is a school publication, it has all school events and group activities printed on the respectable dates when they are to be held. (Church dinners, basketball/etc games, Greek info...) As I was flipping through to find out when all the rushes were and all, I noticed that the new editor (of course, dean appointed) had cut out all Greek activites and any type of Greek related material. So now, any PNM's have no idea about any of the events or hell, or even any of the Greeks...*sigh* I know this is little to some of you on larger campuses, but this is a big deal here.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

That sucks ass. I like your quote though. I saw a TKE the other day who was lost. He followed me home. We played fetch. I put some food out for him but he left. Otherwise I would have adopted him.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: An anti-Greek College tries once more...

Things have been like that here for a while. Up until this year, you had to do a lot of searching for yourself to find out about Greek life - the school has done a lot to try to keep talk of Greek life down, even when talking about student activities.

Luckily our new Greek advisor has done an amazing job of getting everybody's name out on campus.

Collin
Old 08-22-2002, 05:31 AM
wreckingcrew

Man,

I don't know how anti-Greek your school is, but it CAN'T be any more anti-Greek than A&M.

Right now on a major A&M BBS, Texags.com there are 2 major threads of over 50 responses each with serious anti-Greek sentiments.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.a...98&forum_id=12

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.a...85&forum_id=12

It really sucks to love your school as much as i do and know that the majority of students, and probably most faculty members think me less of an Aggie, simply because i wear Greek letters on my shirt (well, and have em tattooed on me, but thats' a story for a different time )

If y'all take the time to actually read those threads, i do have a reply on the first one, i gave up on the second.

Gig 'em

Kitso
KS 361
Old 08-22-2002, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

aggiesigmanu- I read those two threads. What a bunch of obnoxious @ssholes! Talk about ignorant. These must be the people who no fraternity wanted. Yikes. Also talk about misinformed. Sorry you have to deal with that kind of crap.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I understand what you're going through. My campus is similar. (The University of Guelph)
Our university doesn't recognize us. There are only 2 GLO's on campus. It is very difficult for us to advertise and get out name out there. We can't setup a booth during club days because we are notan official club or organization on campus. Postering is difficult becuase most of the time they are torn down every night. We aren't officially allowed into the residences (although we manage to get in...you do what you have to do). About all we can do is paint the cannon because that is open to everyone to advertise everything from birthdays, to parties or just to say hello. Although those don't always last long. The cannon ettiquette is that it must go untouched for a day, after the 24 for hours, the cannon is up for grabs. So I know what you're going through.

PPL,

Emily
Old 08-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Anywhere there go there are self-important idiots and assholes.

The bigger the school, the more of them there are. (interesting concept, eh?)

There are always those that don't want to and never will understand what GLO's are all about. They'll probably graduate one day (maybe) and from that point they'll watch football on TV and root for their alma mater.

We'll have a place we can come back to during homecoming and lifelong brotherhood.

Hell... buying my friends was the best damned decision of my life.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-22-2002, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Yepper more and more Schools are gettting on teh band wagon because of stupidity on teh prt of Greek Orgs!

Do right and promote yourselves in the best of light and show what you can do!

If you grow your Chapters, then more will come!

We as Greeks will then grow!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-23-2002, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I have the hardest time with threads like these because I just can't understand how a campus could have so much control.
Do they deny
intramural teams
philanthropy events
wearing your letters every where you go
organized parties-even at 3rd party vendors
access to buildings for songfest type activities
group participaton in Homecoming and other major campus events

If they DO deny you these outlets, then that is AWFUL perhaps discriminaton. (I'm sure there are some great legal minds in the alum assoc.)
If these avenues are open to you, then perhaps
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
but in ourselves, that we are underlings"

Since I'm not LIVING this situation, I have a difficult time understanding.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361
I don't know how anti-Greek your school is, but it CAN'T be any more anti-Greek than A&M.

Right now on a major A&M BBS, Texags.com there are 2 major threads of over 50 responses each with serious anti-Greek sentiments.
Wow I just got done reading the first thread; all three pages of it. Those people are ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Banned

I very much agree with you on this. But I also think some people like the added luxury that is provided by a more Greek friendly school administration.

-Rudey
--They still have songfests?

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
I have the hardest time with threads like these because I just can't understand how a campus could have so much control.
Do they deny
intramural teams
philanthropy events

If they DO deny you these outlets, then that is AWFUL perhaps discriminaton. (I'm sure there are some great legal minds in the alum assoc.)

Old 08-24-2002, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
justamom- UMASS does deny our campus glos the right to participate in activities such as spring carni and intermural sporting events. they refuse to acknowledge us, and even kicked our "community service orginization" off campus. They dont' care that we do more philanthropy than any single other group on campus...
some students are even afraid to wear letters into lecture because professors actually discriminate against those who do.
sickening, isn't it?
Old 08-24-2002, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

intramural teams
philanthropy events
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Do they deny

On Pitt's (University of Pittsburgh) they do several things to limit Greek life. First of all, the university recognizes 17 fraternities, however, bareely a third of those fraternities have houses on campus, and the university refuses to build new housing for the other fraternities. This gives organizations with houses on campus an advantage that other houses don't have. Obviously, the houses that are on campus are able to draw more people during rush. There have been 2 fraternities in the last three years that closed because they could not draw the numbers during rush. Additionally, the university consistently ripps down rush posters every day at 12:01 am every night in the residence halls, as well as the lobbys. Those posters that can be hung up, have to be on out of the way corkboards that are already crowded with other campus posters that you can't paste over, so it's impossible to find space on them. And even those posters have to be approved by the university with a special stamp from housing, and you cna only have 12 of them. That's it. Trust me, 9 times out of 10 it's not us. After all, we can only do so much.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:24 AM
GreekChat Member

KappaTarzan and SigEpRaide, Thanks so much for the DETAILS!
That is HORRID. I can relate to being afraid to wear letters in class. Several of us "older" alums went through the same thing because we faced the philosophy of the 60's and 70's. So Rudy, I see what you mean about needing a more "Greek friendly administration"

WHERE'S A GOOD LAWYER WHEN YOU NEED ONE?

If they allow other organizations to recruit and hold activities, that really DOES look like discrimination. I can NOT imagin administration denying participation in of ALL things- RECREATIONAL SPORTS!

I'm wondering if it may be a situation where the environment may NEVER allow a Greek system to flourish-Like trying to grow an African Violet in Alaska-it's just the wrong climate. (I HAVE thought about this often)

Thanks-I've seen the light!