Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,429
2 members and 1,427 guests
No Members online

Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Letter of Rec - Congressperson?

Hi guys,

My personal information on this board isn't exactly hidden -- with just a couple of Google searches it would be extremely easy to figure out who I am, where I go to school, what my major is, etc. etc. I am going to request that personal things (like who I'm working for) please not be revealed here.

Anyhow, I go to a third tier state school in North Carolina, and once I get out I hope to either go to UNC Chapel Hill or to Wake Forest for law school. I just finished up my first year of college, but I'm planning to go ahead and graduate in either Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 (probably the latter). I want to go ahead and make sure I'm working hard enough to have a solid packet by then, and one of the things I'm doing this summer is internships. Right now I am doing an full time internship in constituent services with the Congressperson in or near Wake Forest's district. I'm pretty well-liked in the office, and have made a couple of small advancements that have helped increase productivity for the office overall, and so I'm pretty sure they're going to write me a letter of recommendation.

Should I ask for a letter from the Congressperson themselves, or should I ask for one from my direct supervisor? I'd only like responses from people with experience getting into/ working in the admissions offices/ whatever at competitive national universities.

Here are what I think the pros and cons are:
Pros: 1. they're a member of Congress
2. they might possibly have influence with the people at the school
3. this letter will be highly personalized

Cons: 1. might be seen as a thinly-veiled attempt to get in through influence
2. members of Congress are especially known for doing whatever their constituents ask them to do
3. this particular member has made some controversial/ regretful comments in the past few years

Also, following this internship, I am going to be working on Senator Richard Burr's campaign. If I am offered a letter, same deal as the House member?

Thanks a lot,
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitheta376 View Post
Hi guys,

My personal information on this board isn't exactly hidden -- with just a couple of Google searches it would be extremely easy to figure out who I am, where I go to school, what my major is, etc. etc. I am going to request that personal things (like who I'm working for) please not be revealed here.

Anyhow, I go to a third tier state school in North Carolina, and once I get out I hope to either go to UNC Chapel Hill or to Wake Forest for law school. I just finished up my first year of college, but I'm planning to go ahead and graduate in either Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 (probably the latter). I want to go ahead and make sure I'm working hard enough to have a solid packet by then, and one of the things I'm doing this summer is internships. Right now I am doing an full time internship in constituent services with the Congressperson in or near Wake Forest's district. I'm pretty well-liked in the office, and have made a couple of small advancements that have helped increase productivity for the office overall, and so I'm pretty sure they're going to write me a letter of recommendation.

Should I ask for a letter from the Congressperson themselves, or should I ask for one from my direct supervisor? I'd only like responses from people with experience getting into/ working in the admissions offices/ whatever at competitive national universities.

Here are what I think the pros and cons are:
Pros: 1. they're a member of Congress
2. they might possibly have influence with the people at the school
3. this letter will be highly personalized

Cons: 1. might be seen as a thinly-veiled attempt to get in through influence
2. members of Congress are especially known for doing whatever their constituents ask them to do
3. this particular member has made some controversial/ regretful comments in the past few years

Also, following this internship, I am going to be working on Senator Richard Burr's campaign. If I am offered a letter, same deal as the House member?

Thanks a lot,
Since I didn't apply to any "competitive national universities", I guess I can't answer. Which sucks, because I had some decent advice.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I am an alumnus of a competitive national university.

I think you should get letters from whomever can give you the most personalized letters. If it's a Congressperson, then great -- don't be afraid to ask for it. But if it will be a cold and sterile letter, but your supervisors within the office will give you a better one, then choose them. (The letterhead will likely have the congressman's name on it anyway, which is still a plus)
Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

From someone with a close friend who got blackballed for 7 years from med school because they thought the letter of Rec he got from the then governor of Louisiana, Edwin Edwards, was fake when he knew him personally, go for the direct supervisor.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 07-09-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

I shall ignore the "hey guys."

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitheta376
Anyhow, I go to a third tier state school in North Carolina, and once I get out I hope to either go to UNC Chapel Hill or to Wake Forest for law school.
Since you volunteered this, is this third tier based on a published report or your opinion?

You're still a collegiate so my advice before you get a letter of rec from anyone is for you to be careful of what you say about the (public and private) colleges and universities in your state. One thing to remember in all of your networking is that politicians and other college educated people who may write your recs may have attended some of the schools, or have friends and family members who did/do, that you may express certain opinions about. Even discussing tiers can rub people the wrong way similar to doing so for GLOs.

I agree with Senusret.