GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,421
0 members and 1,421 guests
No Members online

Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Attn: Ladies who golf (or men who can give advice on clubs)

I really need to learn how to golf for business purposes, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of clubs to buy. I went to the US Open today, and that inspired me to get them soon (granted, it will be a very long time before I could even attempt to golf Oakmont!).

I don't want to spend a lot, because I'm just getting started and maybe I'll just really really hate it. But I don't want a piece of crap that's going to break after I take it to the driving range.

So, ladies, what did you start out on? Or guys who might be knowledgeable, what would you suggest?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I started out on Ram clubs. You can even buy the clubs in a boxed set (bag comes with the set sometimes) if you are looking for a set of starter clubs. Golden Bear sets and Cleveland Golf sets are not that bad either. Currently I use Callaway clubs. Make sure once you get your first non-starter set you take the time to get the clubs fitted to you. Not very expensive and definitely worth it. Have fun!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
I really need to learn how to golf for business purposes, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of clubs to buy. I went to the US Open today, and that inspired me to get them soon (granted, it will be a very long time before I could even attempt to golf Oakmont!).

I don't want to spend a lot, because I'm just getting started and maybe I'll just really really hate it. But I don't want a piece of crap that's going to break after I take it to the driving range.

So, ladies, what did you start out on? Or guys who might be knowledgeable, what would you suggest?
When you're beginning, it will be important to have a decent set of clubs - many low-end golf sets (especially 'ladies' clubs) are low-grade, poorly cast, and often filled with foam. This makes them light, but really annoying for purposes of hitting the ball - they'll set you back quite a ways when you start to actually hit the ball well.

Depending on how tall you are, it might be best to go with a men's set - honestly, go to a golf shop and ask them to fit you to see if you're better off with shorter women's clubs or full-sized sticks. Make sure you get a 'decent' golf brand (not a "Target brand" or anything) as they'll likely be of better construction. Some brands that aren't "big" (like Taylor Made or Callaway) that deal in full sets for the beginner include Adams, Tommy Armour, and Nicklaus.

Good luck, dude - you're about 2 years away from really being comfortable playing, but it's the best game on Earth (and usually the most frustrating too).
Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

It is really difficult to just tell someone what clubs they should start out playing with. The best thing to do is go to a range or a country club (if you are a member of one) and have a course pro fit you with clubs/measurements. I personally don't think it is wise to purchase a mediocre/ low end set of clubs. They are poorly made and just plain cheap. If you get to where you are playing decent, you are going to want nicer clubs......why not just purchase a nice set from the get-go instead of purchasing more than one.

With that said, I'll try to offer some advice. Most women I know of prefer a lighter club that is easier to control and that can produce a lot of club head speed.

As for clubs:

Irons: Titleist 775.CB's. Light heel on the club head and great for beginners. Designed totally for shot control. Beginner golfers should have a 4,5,6,7,8, and 9 in their bag. No need for a 2 or 3 anymore, especially when you can replace 2 or 3 clubs with a Hybrid (you don't need to worry about those yet though). I believe they are around 110$ each for steel shafts and 120$ each for graphite. Also, Women's Callaway Big Bertha Irons. Probably the best club on the market for game-improvement.

Drivers and Woods: Women's Big Bertha 460 Driver. Again, great for shot improvement. Woods: Callaway X Fairway or Big Bertha Fairway

Wedges: Cleveland W-Series CG-11. Cleveland Wedges......best out there.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
Rules of Bedroom Golf:

Each player shall furnish his own equipment, normally one club and two balls.

Playing on a course must be approved by the owner of the hole.

Unlike outdoor golf, the object is to get the club in the hole and keep the balls out of the hole.

For most effective play, the club should have a firm shaft. Course owners are permitted to check shaft stiffness before play begins.

Course owners reserve the right to restrict the length of the club to avoid damage to the hole.

The object of the game is take as many strokes as necessary until the course owner is satisfied that play is complete. Failure to do so may result in being denied permission to play the course again.

It is considered bad form to begin playing the hole immediately upon arrival at the course. The experienced player will take time to admire the course, with special attention to the well-formed bunkers.

Players are cautioned not to mention other courses they have played on or are currently playing.

Players are encouraged to have proper rain gear along, just in case.

Players should assure themselves that their match has been properly scheduled, particularly when a new course is being played for the first time. Previous players have been known to become irate if they discover someone else playing what they consider to be a private course.

Players should not assume a course is in shape for play at all times. Some players may be embarrassed if they find the course to be temporarily under repair. Players are advised to be extremely tactful in this situation. More advanced players will find alternate means of play when this is the case.

Players are advised to obtain the course owner*s permission before attempting to play the back nine.

Slow play is encouraged; however, players should be prepared to proceed at a quicker pace, at least temporarily, at the owner*s request.

It is considered outstanding performance, time permitting, to play the same hole several times in one match.

The course owner will be the sole judge of who is the best player.

Players are advised to think twice before considering membership at a given course. Additional assessments may be levied by the course owner and the rules are subject to change without notice. For this reason, many players prefer to continue to play several different courses.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSAE View Post
Rules of Bedroom Golf:

Each player shall furnish his own equipment, normally one club and two balls.

Playing on a course must be approved by the owner of the hole.

Unlike outdoor golf, the object is to get the club in the hole and keep the balls out of the hole.

For most effective play, the club should have a firm shaft. Course owners are permitted to check shaft stiffness before play begins.

Course owners reserve the right to restrict the length of the club to avoid damage to the hole.

The object of the game is take as many strokes as necessary until the course owner is satisfied that play is complete. Failure to do so may result in being denied permission to play the course again.

It is considered bad form to begin playing the hole immediately upon arrival at the course. The experienced player will take time to admire the course, with special attention to the well-formed bunkers.

Players are cautioned not to mention other courses they have played on or are currently playing.

Players are encouraged to have proper rain gear along, just in case.

Players should assure themselves that their match has been properly scheduled, particularly when a new course is being played for the first time. Previous players have been known to become irate if they discover someone else playing what they consider to be a private course.

Players should not assume a course is in shape for play at all times. Some players may be embarrassed if they find the course to be temporarily under repair. Players are advised to be extremely tactful in this situation. More advanced players will find alternate means of play when this is the case.

Players are advised to obtain the course owner*s permission before attempting to play the back nine.

Slow play is encouraged; however, players should be prepared to proceed at a quicker pace, at least temporarily, at the owner*s request.

It is considered outstanding performance, time permitting, to play the same hole several times in one match.

The course owner will be the sole judge of who is the best player.

Players are advised to think twice before considering membership at a given course. Additional assessments may be levied by the course owner and the rules are subject to change without notice. For this reason, many players prefer to continue to play several different courses.
so cute
Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have Titleists as well, and love them. That being said I know a lot of women who play Adams irons.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have had a set of Ben Hogan clubs since I was in high school. They were my mom's, which were given to me to learn. Daddy said I would get new clubs after I had played for a while, but I really like them and never wanted to give them up. I have no idea how much they cost, but I really like them.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know jack about golf clubs, but whichever ones you end up buying, here is where you can get some super cute golf bags to put them in! http://www.birdiegirl.ca

This one is my favorite!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-12-2007 at 11:54 PM.