2 members and 1,330 guests
Cookiez17, IndianaSigKap

Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Miss Beta Chapter Article

The Hilltop - Campus
Issue: 01/16/04

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/news...s-582199.shtml
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Day in the Life...Amanda Lewis
By Alison Brock

In the midst of friends and food, music blasting and students having a genuinely good time, an incident took place on the campus of Florida State University that would transform the life of a Howard University scholar forever. It was a party like any other. Hosted at her friend's house, a group of mutual associates had convened for a typical night of college merriment. What began as a regular house party soon became a tragic evening for Amanda Lewis.

"The graphic details are difficult to discuss," said Lewis, a junior general history and vocal classical performance double major. "It's not hard for me to admit what happened, but it is difficult for me to describe it."

A nameless gentleman, who had expressed a romantic interest in Lewis, which evolved into little more than a platonic friendship, was hosting a house party one fall evening to celebrate the birthdays of two mutual friends. After partying and consuming alcohol , Lewis found herself alone with her then friend, and was thereafter sexually assaulted.

After some internal contemplation, Lewis realized that she had to tell someone about the incident and be proactive about handling the situation.

"I had to admit the situation to people. A friend of mine called the victim's advocate program on campus and after that I started getting counseling," Lewis said.

A student at Florida State, Lewis would soon transfer to Howard University due to this situation, coupled with other difficulties Lewis had encountered with FSU administration.

"It took a year out of my life, just rebuilding up to the point where I could go to Howard," said Lewis, "which is why I'm a twenty-two year old junior," she laughed.

After admitting that an assault had taken place, attending counseling sessions and experiencing mild anxiety attacks whenever seeing someone that resembled her assaulter, Lewis found it imperative to press charges. This decision, however, created more problems.

"It was hard because we had a lot of mutual friends, and all of us had been drinking at the party," Lewis said. "Some people questioned my motives and the reasons behind me pressing charges."

These difficulties did not deter Lewis. The perpetrator is currently on probation and is forbidden to leave the state of Florida. "I want to stay as far away from him as possible," Lewis said.

While some may have preferred to keep the incident under wraps, Lewis has found strength in speaking out about the topic and helping other young women that are victims of sexual assault. As Miss College of Arts and Sciences 2003, Lewis ran and won on the platform "HUVOV: Howard University Voice of the Victim." And though she did not win the title of "Miss Howard," Lewis is sticking with her platform and ensuring the success of its development.

"Part of my platform was to have speak-outs and forums, and that's what I've been doing," Lewis said. She has made appearances at HUSA programs on campus among others. "The counseling center had been trying to get a grant from the Women's Crisis Center, but was turned down. What I want to do is less expensive, so I will be able to receive financial support."

Lewis hopes to create a center on campus specifically for rape victims and other victims of sexual assault and harassment. However, Lewis understands that rape is a crime that takes place on all college campuses.

"Women sometimes don't report rape cases because it's such a specialized crime and women sometimes feel at fault," claims Lewis. "It has a lot to do with hearsay and causes victims to face a lot of personal questions and feel a sense of self-doubt." Regardless, Lewis says that there is absolutely nothing a woman can ever do that is justified provocation of rape. No matter what a woman wears, drinks or says, rape is a crime.

"Talking about my platform, and just helping other women had brought me a lot closer to healing," Lewis said. "I know that when some people look at me, they just see me as 'the girl that got raped', but it forces them to deal with it and understand that it is a crime that takes place all around us," Lewis insisted.

The healing process has been a challenging but rewarding process for Lewis. Some of her crowning achievements as Miss Beta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc, and Miss College of Arts and Sciences have been obtained based on platforms of rape awareness and prevention among college women. As a member of Ubiquity, NSAA Dance Ensemble, and a myriad of other organizations on and off campus, Lewis has learned to overcome the obstacles that have come her way.

Not only is Lewis an activist in terms of counseling and conferencing with rape victims, but she is a leader in the realm of rape prevention, and an example of gaining new livelihood after a life-altering experience. Lewis has not let her experience get the best of her; instead she has made the most out of it. She gives this advice to students through platforms and personal interactions, "You have setbacks, but you can still make something of your life." Lewis is living proof.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so glad she stood up for herself.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:25 AM

Exclamation Protect yourselves sisters and brothers

This issue is so derisive and hard to discuss, but I thank this sister for standing up and calling attention to it and the brothers of Beta chapter for choosing a woman with this voice to represent them. As she moves along the Black and Gold scholarship competition circuit, hopefully other brothers will hear her story and begin to have conversations about date rape and the things that we can do as men to protect ourselves and to help women heal from their own experiences and help prevent the experiences from happening to others.

I think though that many times what is lost in these discussions on campus date rape is a myriad of contributing factors that far too often go unexamined in these incidents. A few issues are the notion of underage drinking and the culture of casual sex. In the article, the issue of drinking is glanced over as if it is expected of college students. Seeing as though she stated that she was 22, and that she transfered to Howard after a year of counseling and persuing the rapist, chances are that she was underage while she drank at the party. Now before I get bashed for blaming the victim, I want to say that being drunk does not justify rape, I am only stating that there is a culture running wild on college campuses that dismisses irresponsible behavior and only addresses "damage control" after the fact, rather than strategies to prevent things like this from happening.

My wife went to Spelman and she used to talk about how many young ladies there would come home to their dorms drunk after a night of partying and wonder why would a woman get drunk at a party, seeing that it is the oldest trick in the book that guys use to get sex. Yet, these supposedly "modern and sophisticated" Spelman women fell for it all the time. Many times the women would not remember what had happened the night before, and there is even one documented case of a girl filing a date rape charge because she made a poor decision one night to have sex with people she really did not like, and was coerced into filing charges that were later proven to be false. Now I will never understand the complexities of filing a rape charge, but I can say that women need to be sure that they were indeed raped, and not be filing out of shame and embarassment about a poor choice, because the allegation of rape against a man can ruin his life, even if he is acquitted.

I always caution guys to think with the "head that has a brain" when it comes to going out and meeting women, because casual sex is not casual at all. One night of anonymous , casual, "one night stand/ bootycall sex" can change your whole life. The myth of casual sex is slowly eating away at our community's core, the family structure. Sex cannot be casual. Sex is far too powerful to be treated lightly, but we lie to ourselves (especially men) about how powerful it really is. With all of the consequences of having sex, it is not a decision to be made while drunk or hot and bothered. But too often that is when the decision is made, and the results can be charges of rape, disease, pregnancy, and lowered self value and esteem. these things can in turn characterize future relationships and effect whether or not you would enter into an adult monogomous relationship that could lead to marriage and a stable family life. Especially when a rape charge is levied, men face a protracted ordeal of trials and general image destruction, whether you are guilty or innocent. If we treat sex with the care and respect that it deserves, then instances of date rape would decrease and eliminate a great deal of pain and suffering among women and men in our community.

I think men need to have these discussions more among ourselves and enter into a careful dialogue with women about this issue so that people can start talking about it. The shame in all of these cases of rape is that we refuse to have dialogue about it so that we can examine the underlying issues of sex. I think that the arguement that rape is about power is a valid one, but I think date rape is increasingly becomming about sex abuse (not sexual abuse, but sex abuse) in the sense that we misuse and misunderstand the purpose and design of sex in our lives. Fight on sister, I am praying and fighting with you.

Blackwatch!!!!!!

Last edited by blackwatch06; 01-19-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

BlackWatch

I concur vigorously. No one chooses personal responsibility and self-control before animal instincts. We will always have self-contributing victims like Miss Lewis if we continue to promote adult behavior in children.

Last edited by DoggyStyle82; 01-19-2004 at 07:31 PM.