Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,079
2 members and 1,077 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Today I received this email....

Today I received this email!! I thought I would share it with all of you!! I have no clue who this woman is..but she sure touched my heart, as I am sure she will touch yours too........

Hello,

I'm writing to tell you what an incredible organization you have in Alpha Delta Pi. It was just 10 years ago that I went through recruitment at the University of Akron. I remember the first time I walked through the door at the Alpha Delta Pi house. I could immediately picture myself there with all of these wonderful women. I've never felt more welcome anywhere than I did there. I remember the following evening I received a phone call from a woman (I believe her name was X X). She extended an invitation to me to attend the next 2 parties at the ADPi house. I quickly accepted. I will never forget her words to me. "You will never feel alone on campus again." Wow! What powerful words. I knew right then how much I wanted to be an Alpha Delta Pi. I went to the next party and again felt completely welcome at their house. I met more women and ran into someone that I had known for a couple years, but didn't know she was an ADPi. Unfortunately, the following night was their last party. At the last minute a friend called and needed my help. I was torn, but knew I couldn't leave my friend in a bind. As I suspected, I lost my chance at becoming an Alpha Delta Pi. I was extended a bid for another sorority, but knew that if I couldn't be an Alpha Delta Pi I didn't want to join a sorority at all. It was a great experience just meeting those wonderful women and one that I will never forget. Not a day has gone by over the past 10 years where I didn't feel regret at missing that last party. I hope all of the women of Alpha Delta Pi realize what a treasure they have in their membership. First. Finest. Forever.

I've always wanted to tell someone what a lasting impression ADPi made on me but never did it until now. Your email address was the first one I found so I decided to send the note to you. I apologize for taking up your time. Thank you!

Best Regards,
X X
Old 02-25-2004, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
What a touching e-mail! I wonder if she'd be interested in maybe doing AI?
Old 02-25-2004, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I was thinking the same thing....we have our next alum meeting in mid-march...I am going to email her back right away...but not bring up AI...and then talk to the Alum Assoc about it in March and see!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I hope she would consider AI!! What a wonderful person, to take the time to write that!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
It sounds like by her letter that she has a very favorable impression of ADPi and wishes she had not had to make the decision between a friend in need and ADPi, so I would guess that given the opportunity to become involved as a sister in the organization would interest her!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USFAlum
Talking

That is the sweetest thing... it totally made my evening... You all should definately approach her about doing AI... I am in charge of organizing it for my alum association... we are planning on initating several women and I can't wait. I had this idea of giving them their bids by singing "little ADPi" outside their homes one special evening. Of course, we would work it out with their children and spouses so it would be a surprise! If you have any questions about AI, Ucfadpi is an expert on the subject... or you could PM me for information or more cute ideas. I am really excited about this whole AI thing as you can probably tell. Have a great week!
Loyally,
USFAlum
Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

What a great letter! I think you're on the right track about talking to your association about AI before you approach her, though. Some associations aren't as "in tune" to the program and it might take some time to educate them. You don't want to disappoint the PNAM- get all your ducks in a row first.
Good luck!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
WOW!! That is great!!!! Please keep us posted.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact this woman and invite her to your next chapter function or alumnae function. Have everyone meet her and see if she might be a suitable AI for your group.

If she is, then appoint someone to contact her and ask her if she would be interested in AI. You can get more info on the AI program from EO.

If she is interested, you can begin the paperwork process to approve her as an AI candidate. Once the paperwork is fully approved, she will be initiated within 6 months of the approval.

Good luck!

ADPiUCF
Old 02-25-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Good thinking! I will tell my Alumnae Group next month and then we can bring her to Songfest in April if she is interested...and then from there we can see! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

So I emailed her back and asked why she never went through at a later time....here is her response....

Well, here is the story. I didn't go through Recruitment until the spring semester of my junior year. Like I mentioned before another sorority extended a bid. I felt pressured to make a decision that moment and I accepted it but knew immediately it was the wrong decision since I didn't feel the welcomeness I felt with ADPi. Within just a couple days I talked to my new member educator and told her I was not going to continue with pledging this sorority. Since the following year was my senior year I didn't think I would be able to get as involved in a sorority as I wanted to for just a year. That's why I never went back through Recruitment. It probably seems silly to hold onto a regret like that for 10 years but joining a sorority was something I'd wanted to do long before I even went to college. To this day I wish I would have gone through Recruitment in my freshman or sophomore year.

It is good to know that women like you stay actively involved in ADPi. I can't understand how some women can just graduate and walk away from their sororities. It seems to be such a shame when they have so much to offer beyond the collegiate years.

She needs AI more than I can say!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG-- she sure does! If you would like to speed up the process... why don't you offer to meet her for coffee? Get a feel for her and then talk to your assoc president. You can then go back and say, "Hey lady, we have an ADPi program for AI. I'd love to talk with you about it, b/c I would love to see you as a sister of ADPi. We need women like you."

What district are you in?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting coffee would be absolutely possible.........SINCE SHE LIVES DOWN THE STREET FROM ME! I am not kidding...we just emailed again and we live in the same city about a mile from each other!! I just invited her to something with the group in April...I know April is far away...but I need to meet with the Association before doing anything!

ETA: District 4

Last edited by ADPiAkron; 02-25-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

I can't help but think of the song most of us sing at Pref, "It Only Takes a Spark..."!! ADPiAkron, you are truly doing a wonderfully kind thing, taking the time to meet with this woman, and taking her to an alumnae meeting!! Please keep us posted!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I am meeting with this woman tomorrow for coffee!! Hope all goes well!!