GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 921
1 members and 920 guests
No Members online

Old 11-20-2006, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

T-shirt help

I was recently thinking of getting athletic shirts for my fraternity. Something simple on the front like "Lambda Chi Athletics" but individualized with numbers and names on the back. Where would be the best place to try to get these made? A local greek store or somewhere online? I've been looking around but a lot of the stores online are confusing and the greek store on my campus is expensive as hell, and our last rush shirts they imprinted our design off-center and said they weren't bad enough for us to get a refund or have them redone (bastards)

I was thinking somewhere around under 20 dollars each. Is that reasonable?

Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Pocket T's are the only shirts a fraternity should be getting made.....with exception to a Polo with letters on the left chest.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I would bring it up at the next IFC meeting. If you have intramural teams playing one another, chances are that the other guys have tee-shirts. Also, ask around the sorority social chairmen. Girls get t-shirts made for everything and may have found one with a good price. You can also contact the university intramural sports department. They're ordering shirts for various athletics and can get you a local vendor. I'd stay local if possible.

I also recommend that you have regular tee shirts made and get iron-on numbers for the back-- you will save money this way and can order a bunch of shirts at a time. You can find iron on letters at a craft store or in the sewing/crafts dept of a store like WalMart.

Good luck! You should be able to get the shirts for $10/each. Order a bunch and have leftovers to give to your pledges, Lambda Chi dads, etc.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

adpiucf pretty much said it.

The front of your shirt will be screen printed. The number of shirts and the amount of colors will help determine the price. I recommend having the tshirt folks use Gildan 50/50 shirts, they're light weight and good.

The back of the shirts are Iron-On Vinyl Letters. You could iron them yourselves however it may not apply adequate pressure to make sure the letters stay on for a long time. The individualized IroniOn Letters is what will make each shirt expensive.

A local screen printer should be able to do it for you. I actually just made a set of 20 shirts similar to what you want for about $16 per shirt.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with screen printing. I bought my dh a Razorbacks jersey two years ago and they had the nice numbers on the back - can you beleive they ran out of the number "2" (he wanted #32) for 4 months??

Old 11-24-2006, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

...uhmn... don't?

no real fraternity should do intramurals unless they're absolutely awful at them, and even then they should show up drunk.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
...uhmn... don't?

no real fraternity should do intramurals unless they're absolutely awful at them, and even then they should show up drunk.

Serious? I'll chalk that up to another difference between Southern Greek Life and everywhere else that I've heard of. Out here at least, fraternities brag about winning Sports Banners even more than who had the largest pledge class.

-

Everytime Macallan suggest pocket tees I pray that he's kidding. I think of free tshirts from cigarette companies when I think of pocket tees. Which then makes me picture Macallan and his fratty friends less Southern gentleman and more backwoods rednecks. I prefer to picture the former than the latter.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Everytime Macallan suggest pocket tees I pray that he's kidding. I think of free tshirts from cigarette companies when I think of pocket tees. Which then makes me picture Macallan and his fratty friends less Southern gentleman and more backwoods rednecks. I prefer to picture the former than the latter.
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one. I can't recall ever seeing fraternity tees with pockets. I've only seen sororities order them, and not very often...not for events, anyway.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one. I can't recall ever seeing fraternity tees with pockets. I've only seen sororities order them, and not very often...not for events, anyway.
Maybe it's a northern/southern thing, but every shirt I ever got through a fraternity always had pockets
Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDeltaGam View Post
Maybe it's a northern/southern thing, but every shirt I ever got through a fraternity always had pockets
My experience was the opposite, I never saw a pocket tee on my campus from any greek group, sorority or fraternity. All the fraternity shirts I have gotten over the years tended to be long sleeved t's though. Maybe its a weather thing?
Old 11-25-2006, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Actualy who cares unless they want to carry things with them?

It is nice to have a pocket if can be affored!

LX Brother PM Me, maybe I can can up with a better place!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-25-2006, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

In the south we have pockets on T-shirts (and the T-shirts are almost always white, sometimes blue and rarely green.)

We don't do Greek Weeks and we don't do intramural sports.

I never really wondered why (though I think I know now), but I had fun in school so I don't worry about it.

Still, it has been interesting to read here about how many other schools did have those kinds of things. At Texas, Greeks and the University have as little to do with each other as possible- at least until we graduate, make a lot of money and give donations that get buildings named after us.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Texas Beta
A lot of fraternities and sororities compete in IM sports here. It's nice to have a room filled with trophies. People go Greek to better themselves, why not prove that in sports as well. The most fun we have is co ed teams composed of both fraternities and sororities.

The only t-shirts you should wear without a pocket is sorority shirts! Pockets are a must. We just got our OU (biggest weekend for fraternities at Texas, I think) shirts and unfortunately there was a miscommunication, the lady who made them put our letters above the pocket. I don't think anyone will notice outside of Texas, but it still looks goofy. I've also met a lot of northern Beta guys who wear those big shiny block letters which are a nono here.

Hook'em
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessXIca View Post
I don't quite understand, what's the point of the pocket?
*shrug*
Guys w/ pocket Tees in St. Louis would have been mocked. Particularly for intramural sports.