GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,253
1 members and 1,252 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 AM
PotentialGreek4

What fraternity is a good fraternity?

First of all, I'm a freshman planning to rush my sophomore year and I want to know if I should feel like I'm jumping into the game late, or if it's not unusual to rush your sophomore year.

I was also wondering what I should be looking for specifically to know which house is right for me....
Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialGreek4 View Post
First of all, I'm a freshman planning to rush my sophomore year and I want to know if I should feel like I'm jumping into the game late, or if it's not unusual to rush your sophomore year.

I was also wondering what I should be looking for specifically to know which house is right for me....
Part 1 - It depends on your campus. Overall, most fraternities don't have a problem with sophomore pledges, but there are some that do.

Part 2 - Just think of your interests and look for a group that feels compatible (a chapter that competes in intramurals if that is your thing). Find a group who will let you be you. I hardly drank in college. My chapter was respectful with my decision and never pressured me to change.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I was gonna start singing "Oh Pat," but I don't think anyone but the Kappas would get the joke. That was what I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

hehehe
Old 09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Just go through Rush and see what happens.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As far as jumping into the game late, I do not hink there is a big worry but depending on the school you are going to and how big and strong the Greeks are there.

I have come to know many members from many Greek Fraternal Organizations and there are none that are bad on the National level. You have to look at the chapter level to find which is the best fit for you and your possible new Brothers!

If you wish to PM me, feel free and let us chat in private!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Omega Chi Delta if they're on your campus.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Omega Chi Delta if they're on your campus.
Kappa Tau Gamma is sooo much better!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri-Lam
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

1) I would rush freshman year. The only way being a sophomore will help you is if you get involved/make awesome grades. If not, then it's a liability. I would be more willing to take someone that could give 4 years to my fraternity who might not have the most fantastic GPA but is dedicated rather than a Sophomore who could only give 3 years with a great GPA that is equally as enthusiastic.

That said, many sophomores do rush and get bids, but it depends on where you go.

2) Only you can answer that question. If you get along with the guys and feel it's a right fit, then you are in the right house.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
Tri-Lam
lol lol lol
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I was gonna start singing "Oh Pat," but I don't think anyone but the Kappas would get the joke. That was what I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Lol, so appropriate for this thread.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Tau Chi, they throw great toga parties.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Just pledge as a freshman. Most people who do it come out just fine.

Try to be relaxed during the rush process. The best advice I can give is look for a house with a good diversity of people. I was pretty much a nerd back in the day (being a CS major might have been the first clue). This actually worked in my favor because the house I ended up going with was recruiting with that in mind.

You have to navigate the culture of the Greek system, and you have to navigate the culture of your campus. Stay open to new things, new experiences, and new friends. And if you're at a party where someone passes out lying on their back, roll them over onto their side, so they don't die the way Jimi Hendrix did.

That's all the advice I can give at the moment. Good luck.