Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 825
0 members and 825 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Group Interview?

Hi Everyone,

Well 1st after a year of working in DC I decided to moved back to North Carolina and am currently living in Hendersonville with my parents while I figure out my next career move. DC was great but I was missing home too much. Anyways, on Thursday I applied for a job at Banana Republic and they just called asking me to come to a group interview on Monday. I have to say while I have heard of this kind of interview, I am not exactly sure what it is and I'm a little nervous. You think after working a year in DC, I wouldn't be nervous about this sort of thing but I am!! If anyone can offer any insight, please let me know. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

I've never been to a group interview or participated in one, but a friend of mine went to one at Bloomberg TV. She said that they sat around a table with various mucky-mucks from the company who all asked her questions.

In her case, it was a so-called "stress interview" where they fired business news questions at her and tried to trip her up to see how she dealt with stress. In yours, I would think it would be more like a one-on-one interview... but instead of you having to do this through a number of layers in the company-- they'll all be interviewing you at once.

Do your homework about the company. Do a google search in Google News. Be prepared, so you can wow them with your knowlege. Believe in yourself, and psyche yourself up! Remember, they're lucky to have you. Make sure they know that YOU are interviewing them as well!

Good luck!

P.S. What kind of job are you going for?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I had one at Bath & Body Works years ago. They had about 5 of us who had applied in one room and asked us all questions and had us demonstrate our selling styles. It was a little odd, but just make sure you are ready to outshine everyone else without seeming like a total brownnoser.

hijack: My sister lives in H'ville. She's the children's librarian. I love it down there

/hijack
Old 07-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

OK, now I'm confused. What do you mean by a "group interview?" Do you mean it will be just you and a number of executives from the company?

Or will it be you, along with other candidates and one interviewer?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Clarification

I'm sorry, I guess I should of been more specific. I applied for a sales associate job at Banana Republic (in a mall) and they called me to have a group interview on Monday. So I was just seeking advice from people who of made of had to do the same thing for a retail store. I'm sorry again, I should of been more specific.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A few years ago, I went on a group interview in Los Angeles for Southwest Airlines for a Ticket/Gate Agent position. They had three interviewers and about 12 of us who were candidates. The interviewers gave an overview of the airline, talked about the job itself, showed us a video presentation and asked us questions.

The way they "interviewed" us was by posing a question to the entire group and then having everyone go around and give their response. For example, we were asked, "Tell us, why do you want to work for an airline?" Then, in turn, each person would answer. We were sat around a room and I just happened to be in the "middle". That was cool because, no matter which end of the room they started on, I never had to answer first. Other questions were things like, "Let's go around the room and I want each of you to tell us about your previous work experience with customer service - and describe a time when you demonstrated excellent customer service."

I think group interviews are kind of interesting. In the case of Southwest Airlines, it was very easy to identify which people out of the group would get a second interview. Some people gave awful answers and some gave great answers. I kind of liked seeing how my chances panned out.

At the end of the group interview, the three interviewers called us into a private room one at a time so we could hand in our forms and ask any questions that we didn't want to ask in the group. I thought that was a helpful touch.

However, Xylochick216 is right, you do have to find a way to stand out without looking like you're trying to steamroll the other candidates. I found that always being clear, upbeat and postive works great. Start out answering your question by looking at your interviewer(s), then pan around to the other candidates, and then finish the last part of your answer looking back at the interviewer.

If you sound like a brown noser, it will be obvious. I did a group interview with Cirque du Soleil to be on the VIP/Tapis Rouge team for the Varekai show. There were very few openings in the department and, during the interview, I felt like the other two guys in my group interview were trying to make it a competition. One guy in particular really seemed to be pressing the sale for himself. I countered by saying things like, "I agree with Jim Bob here, customers expect to see high quality service at Cirque du Soleil shows. I recall a time when I had a customer......" That way I got to show that I know my stuff too, but was doing it in a way which didn't make it sound like I was trying to one-up Jim Bob.

If you make eye contact, sound enthusiastic about your answer, and actually make sense in your answers (lol) you'll definitely stand out.

Good luck!

.....Kelly

PS - I ended up not working for Southwest Airlines. I had applied for a part-time job at John Wayne Airport and they called me in to interview for a full-time job at Los Angeles (but didn't tell me it was full-time until I got there). At the end of my interview, I told my interviewers I wished to withdraw my application as the expectations for full-time staff would conflict with my college studies. They looked deflated - I think they liked me. As for Cirque du Soleil, I got one of the jobs....the other two guys didn't.

True and Constant
Old 07-17-2005, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Your experience with Recruitment should help tremendously with an interview like this! If there are several other job candidates present, put on that Recruitment smile and attitude and you should do great! By bringing in other people, I imagine they will be looking at who can interact with different types of personalities, as is necessary in retail.

At my previous jobs, group interviews meant that you were being interviewed by a team of people, or a few teams of people. They try to numerous people to meet each candidate. Some are figuring out if the person has the knowledge and skills for the job, others are evaluating whether the person fits in with the team, since team work has been essential in each of my jobs.

Dee
Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I work for Old Navy right now. I have been with Gap Inc for 5 years (Gap encompases Old Navy, Banana Republic and Gap--and the up and coming Forth and Towne).

I have seen many group interviews for the company. It will run similar to what navane said. They may not go around from person to person like she said. There will be some of that but what they want to see is someone who will take initiative and not just wait to be spoken to. They want to see that you will not be lazy. Also they will want to see some personal style. Make sure to dress great! Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all so much! I have worked retail before (for Gap in Charleston, SC) but have only been in an one on one interview with the hiring manager. We (the group) are meeting with the personale manager tomorrow and the hiring manager had called me Saturday (after I walked in my application on Thursday). It's at 2pm so I'll let you all know how it goes. Once again, thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Results

Well it actually just was me and one of the managers. The other manager had a bad time at the dentist so she was unable to talk to me. Anyways we went out to the food court and just talked about my previous experiences and overall I think it went pretty well. She thought I would fit in well and have a good time working there and that they would call me on Wednesday or Thursday after they interviewed some more people and talked to one of my references. So that's it, when I know for sure I will let you all know.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

No word yet. I'm starting to get anxious
Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiMuLady150
I don't know if it was just the GAP I applied for, or what. I just wanted an associate's position and had killer references that worked for GAP recommend me. Interview seemed to go well but every time I checked they were "still checking references."

I eventually just gave up. Not saying you should, but GAP Inc could just be notorious for not calling back in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiMuLady150
I would recommend calling them to follow up. Try and think of something that you might have missed in the interview to give yourself a reason to have called them other than just to find out where they are in the process.

I do believe though that Gap Inc stores tend to send you a letter if you haven't been offered employment and call you if you have been. Group interviews are such a pain, I've had to do two but got the job in both cases. Both were for Gap stores though!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Big thanks to you all. The interview was pretty laid back (they ran 15-20 mintues late) and she got up to say hello to someone in the middle of it. I put a smile on my face and took it in stride. So maybe they are just "laid back" about calling back. I'll give it the full day today (it's only 10:20am here) and follow up tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I did a group interview with Old Navy once while in college. I didn't get a job there, but I did recieve a postcard in the mail telling me that....but it took several weeks. Luckily, I got an even better job before I even got the postcard, so no harm done. But it was kinda frustrating when I didn't hear from them for a while.

Maybe you should follow up with them.