GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,141
0 members and 1,141 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2001, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Best Chapter Nationwide

I know this will be a HARD question to answer. But I am curious which chapter/school your national organization considers the very best in the entire nation. Thank you.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

That is a VERY tough question, especially since the chapters vary greatly in size, etc., but I would guess, based on awards and such, Alpha Omicron Pi's "best" or maybe strongest (I don't know what word to use, but "best" seems tacky...) would be University of Tennessee - Knoxville, University of Georgia, and Auburn. Just guessing though.

Very interesting thread!

Last edited by irishpipes; 03-30-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

You kidding?? This is easy to answer!

EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER of Kappa Alpha Theta is special and precious to us.

Every single chapter has something extraordinary that makes it the very BEST in some way that is different from every other chapter.

Chapters are like children... each one is exceptional, with talents that exist no where else. And like a mother, we value each one for its unique qualities
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thetalady
You kidding?? This is easy to answer!

EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER of Kappa Alpha Theta is special and precious to us.

Every single chapter has something extraordinary that makes it the very BEST in some way that is different from every other chapter.

Chapters are like children... each one is exceptional, with talents that exist no where else. And like a mother, we value each one for its unique qualities

Ditto!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Best Chapter Nationwide

Quote:
Originally posted by zetagirly
I know this will be a HARD question to answer. But I am curious which chapter/school your national organization considers the very best in the entire nation. Thank you.

Our HQ doesnt consider one chapter better than another like that to my knowledge and if they do, they never make it known which I believe is a good thing. All of our chapters are wonderful with outstanding ladies and putting it out there that one chapter is above the rest is nonsense and serves no purpose.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

We do have an award given at our Convention:

I believe there are awards for outstanding chapters. I was at the last Convention, and remember the Chapter from the University of Oklahoma receiving this award.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

There are. Not all chapters get their paperwork in on time to be eligible. And so what? It still doenst take away that all of our chapters are outstanding; awards or not. There are two other chapters in the state of Kentucky other than my own that are truly outstanding in every area (I know this because I have worked with all three as alumnae) and they dont get awards from convention. I think it's great chapters get awards dont get me wrong, but I personally dont think it says much about the chapter (they are based on what is reported on time on paper--not physical observations atleast not to my knowledge) unless it's a scholarship award. But this is just my opinion.

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 06-13-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

You make it seem like it's no big deal

to accomplish something and then be conceintious enough to turn in the paperwork on time. I agree that there are probably great chapters out there that are not recognized, perhaps because they did not do the paper work, or perhaps because it was late. Let's not take away from the accomplishments of those chapters that do get their stuff in. And, let's not diminish the efforts that our Fraternity takes to recognize excellence. They (headquarters and Grand Council) have to have some parameters. And, the original question is which chapters Nationals thinks is best.

Last edited by theta4life; 06-14-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

When you attended Grand Convention, you surely noticed that no chapter was singled out as THE BEST overall. There are numerous awards to dozens of chapters for most improved and for excellence in specific areas.

Even in the awards for overall excellence in attaining chapter goals and meeting Theta standards, no one chapter is singled out. I think about 20 chapters won the College Chapter Golden Kite Award, as listed in my Autumn 2004 Magazine.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

For most of the Convention awards, the responsible committee reviews all of the self-nomination forms and uses those - along with personal experience with the chapters over the biennium - to decide the winners/runners-up.

For instance, the membership committee (Fraternity Vice President Membership and the Membership District Directors) sets the award criteria for awards specific to membership, reviews the award nominations, and in committee decides the winners. In addition to the nomination form that the chapter fills out, their MDD will have had much contact over the course of the biennium, and she will know a lot about the chapter's membership program and how they have operated. (In other words, she'll know if the nomination form is accurate or "padded".) Same goes for the awards in all areas including Alumnae awards. College Committee (Fraternity Vice President College and the College District Presidents) determine the overall college chapter awards.

My memory is failing me at the moment so I can't remember the name, but there is one major award for a college chapter (and a similar one for an alumnae chapter) who has clearly excelled in all areas over the biennium. This is for one chapter, whereas the Golden Kite has no limit - however many chapters meet the criteria will be awarded it.

So, the awards reflect achievement over the biennium. Sure, some of it is based on self-motivation (you have to fill out the form and toot your own horn to be eligible). However, a lot of thought and information goes into evaluating chapters and selecting winners. It of course doesn't mean that non-award winners aren't valuable to the Fraternity. (How's that for a confusing string of negatives?!)

I hope this helps clarify a little bit. (This is based on my experience on Grand Council and is only as accurate as my memory. )