GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,140
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,063
0 members and 1,063 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2001, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face I need major help.

I'm a 19 year old guy and I'm transferring to Albany State in the fall to start my third year. I've reading up on Greek life and I'd be totally stoked to try to join a frat. What do I need to do? I honestly have no idea what to do.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Albany State is a Historically Black University, correct? If so, please refer to the narrative below, taken from the Rush Forum FAQ:

When seeking membership in an NPHC organization, discretion is paramount. Before actively seeking membership you need to research the national organization in which you are most interested. Then, get out and get to know members of that organization.

If you don't know anyone in that organization - you are not doing enough service in your community. Find out what programs the group supports and start attending those programs.

When Rush information is posted on campus, attend the meetings as directed. Dress professionally for these meetings and any subsequent membership events.

For most NPHC organizations, you will need to secure letters of reference from initiated members in good standing with the national organization.

Most importantly, if you have questions, direct them to a member of that organization or post them to a message board for that organization. Do not post intake-related questions on general Greek discussion forums.

Old 06-20-2001, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info but Albany is not a black university. Is it the same for the other Fraternities like Sigma Alpha Mu and Alpha Chi Rho?
Old 06-20-2001, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by clueless:
Thanks for the info but Albany is not a black university. Is it the same for the other Fraternities like Sigma Alpha Mu and Alpha Chi Rho?
Clueless,

So sorry, when I looked Albany State University, I found one in Albany, Georgia that is a HBCU.

No, it's not the same for NIC fraternities.

You should still research the fraternities on campus to learn about their national programs, etc. That will help you narrow down the selection.

Watch for flyers and ads on campus promoting Fraternity Rush. Attend any general info sessions and sign up for rush at the Greek Life Office.

Attend the Rush events at those houses that interest you most. Most early parties are open and you can get an immediate feel for the chapter, meet the brothers and ask questions. As the week(s) go on, the parties will go from open to invitation only. Accept invitations to those chapters that still hold your interest. As you go through the process, you will really start to feel at home at one or two chapters.

Best advice I can give you is to relax, be yourself, think about the questions you want to ask, fully consider the answers and realize that this is a lifelong decision you will be making. If your ideals, goals and personality fit in with a fraternity (both on a national and chapter level), you will know it.

Good luck!
Barbara
Old 06-20-2001, 10:38 PM

Cool

clueless - do you mean SUNY Albany? If so here's a link to the IFC page.
http://www.ifcalbany.homestead.com/

There are contact lists plus you can email the IFC with any questions. There are 14 fraternities total. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the info, I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do something before the semester starts other than research the different frats.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:58 AM

Just to let ya know, it's "fraternity"...frat is a kinda derogatory name in Greek-dom...there's a forum under Greek Life titled "Frat-derogatory?" in case you wanna know why.

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon