GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,392
5 members and 1,387 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 07-18-2000, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question NPC/IFC on HBCUs?

Does anyone know if there are any NPC or IFC GLOs on HBCUs? Which ones are where?

If there isn't, do you think there ever will be or should be?

I'd be especially interested to know how those who attended HBCUs feel about this.

One more thing, I know that at least one of the NPHC fraternities is also a member of IFC. Which one(s) is it?
Old 07-18-2000, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Actually, there are two BGLOs in the NIC.

They are Kappa Alpha Psi and Iota Phi Theta

In 1995, Hiliary Holloway (Kappa Alpha Psi) was elected national president of the NIC.

For more info on this, read The Divine Nine by Lawrence Ross.
Old 07-19-2000, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, Learn something new everyday
Old 07-19-2000, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew KAPsi was in the NIC, but not Iota. I guess it makes more sense for an NPHC fraternity to be in the NIC than it does for a NPHC sorority to be in the NPC because I guess NIC fraternity rush is a lot more similar to NPHC intake (ie, the guys pick the house, then are selected by the guys?).
Old 07-20-2000, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
If NIC and NPC existed at Howard U, I was CLUELESS. (Which I was NOT). I think I can say with confidence, that although there has been an influx of white people attending HBCU, I don't think that will actually change the cultural dynamic of Greek life. Typically what happens is the white students start to assimilate into the culture of campus life of the HBCU.

Quote:
Originally posted by Misty:
Sigma Pi had a colony at Tennessee State but I am not sure if they have received their charter yet. Tri-Sigma tried to get a colony going there too but it didn't work out. I had heard that a couple of other NPC groups were interested in trying.

I think that the addition of NPC and NIC groups (excluding Kappa and Iota) would only be a natural progression. Desegregation has not only affected HWCUs but it has had an effect on the HBCUs as well. There has been a definite increase in non-African American students at these schools. It would seem natural that those non-African American students would seek involvement in NPC and NIC groups similar to those African American students on HWCU campuses sought involvement in NPHC groups.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 07-21-2000, 12:33 AM
Misty

Sigma Pi had a colony at Tennessee State but I am not sure if they have received their charter yet. Tri-Sigma tried to get a colony going there too but it didn't work out. I had heard that a couple of other NPC groups were interested in trying.

I think that the addition of NPC and NIC groups (excluding Kappa and Iota) would only be a natural progression. Desegregation has not only affected HWCUs but it has had an effect on the HBCUs as well. There has been a definite increase in non-African American students at these schools. It would seem natural that those non-African American students would seek involvement in NPC and NIC groups similar to those African American students on HWCU campuses sought involvement in NPHC groups.