Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,085
1 members and 1,084 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Preschool kids are being expelled in "shocking" numbers

Preschool kids are being expelled in "shocking" numbers

A new generation of brats? Nearly seven preschool children per 1,000 are being expelled -- for behavioral problems -- compared with 2.1 per 1,000 elementary, middle and high school students. Boys are expelled at 4.5 times the rate of girls. African American children are twice as likely to be expelled as Latinos or whites and five times as likely as Asian American children. (Los Angeles Times)
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Unregistered-

21 years ago I would have been one of those Asian American statistics.

I was kicked out of the Good Shepherd preschool when I was 3 years old. I refused to take naps, I'd wander outside to the playground and beyond, and according to my mom I had an obsession with hitting boys and pulling girls' hair.

My grandmother ended up taking care care of me till I started kindergarten and I think I ended up just fine.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I just saw a story about this on the news. The viewers' comments were priceless. One woman was fussing about the kids not having any home training and I tend to agree.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Ah Parental Blame. Go figure!

Hell, I was mischeious in K Grade, even tried to put the moves on the teacher.

But, the main thing, is that Parents expect Teachers to do their job for them. Aint happeing as afraid of Child abuse. Thank You ACLU for both ends of this quagmire.

Bus driver got in trouble for fighting with kid, kids Two Brothers struck him when he snapped from their crap and try to get it stopped!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL Tom I kinda figured you to be a kindergarden bad boy! Your teacher must have been a real looker.

My youngest is now 10. I had him rather late in life with a very complicated pregnancy. I was hospitalized 7 times during that pregnancy and he was born premature. He has some learning problems, very hyperactive, autistic tendencies, speech issues, some minor orthopedic problems, etc. To make a long story short...I enrolled him a preschool program for him to gain some socialization skills with groups before entering kindergarden. He was expelled from that program. He was also expelled from Kindergarden for behavior problems. Life is not easy. I had to fight the school district to test him for special education services. The fact that he qualified was a no brainer. when enrolled in special education, he was accepted back in kindergarden. So much for federal law. Sometimes it is not parenting but an actual disability that is the problem. However, most of the time it is parenting.

Recently the 4th grade classes at my son's school had a field trip and parents were requested to accompany the classes. So I took a personal day and went on his field trip with my camera in hand...

Oh boy were those kids total brats. There behaviors were actually worse in the presence of their parents then their teachers. The girls were horrible. They were disrespectful of the program guides, they were cruel to each other beyond what is normal for that age group, and they were actually engaging in activities in which they could have really gotten hurt. To top it off...there parents did nothing.....I mean I did hear one of the parents even say ..."maybe that is a bad idea you could get hurt"

Ya know I don't if it's the age difference in parenting -there late 20's to my let's say close to mid ...... or changes in society but I hate to see this generation of kido's hit high school.

Last edited by luvtoscrap; 06-01-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvtoscrap

Ya know I don't if it's the age difference in parenting -there late 20's to my let's say close to mid ...... or changes in society but I hate to see this generation of kido's hit high school.
It's not an age difference in parenting. It's parents being too nice. Too many parents I know want to be a friend and not a parent.

A good spanking and some good punishment effectively doled out would do a lot towards ending a lot of misbehavior.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
It's not an age difference in parenting. It's parents being too nice. Too many parents I know want to be a friend and not a parent.

A good spanking and some good punishment effectively doled out would do a lot towards ending a lot of misbehavior.
I'm not a parent, but I have to agree with this. I've seen it far too many times. Parents letting their kids run wild and not doing anything. I think many newer parents are like "I'm not going to be like my parents, because they were to strict, mean, whatever, etc., etc." so they try to be friends with their kids. But all that does is let the kids walk all voer the parent, so when the parent finally decides to control their kid, they can't. That, and some parents just don't care.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: In the deep south (and there's no place I'd rather be)
I used to work at a preschool. We didn't kick kids out, but boy are there some that I wanted to!

I really think it all boils down to the parenting. In preschool I was a perfect angel. My mom worked at the preschool, so I knew she knew everythign that went on. The one time I bit a kid (after he had bit me everyday for the previous month), she came into my classroom snatched my little butt, took me to the bathroom and gave me a spanking. I never bit again... When I got to Kindergarten and didn't think mom found out what I did, I would push the limits. I knew that after 3 warning you get a note home. I pretty much got 2 warnings a day (mostly for running my mouth all the time), and after my 2 warnings I would stop cause I didn't want mama to find out. In 1st grade when the teacher sent notes home daily regardless of wether you misbehaved or not, I turned back into the perfect angel.