GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,343
2 members and 1,341 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-03-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

What about your formals?

I don't know if i am posting on the right Forum, but oh well. I am Social Chair this year and i am in the middle of Planning our First REAL Sapphire Ball ( our Formal) I already have the place and i'm getting the menu sections in the next week so we can narrow it down to two. My Big Question is does your Sororities or Fraternities have a Cocktail Hour before the Dinner? We have A lot of Alum inthe Area who may not be able to stay for the whole thing, but i thought it would be nice to have an cocktail hour so they can come and visit , etc. Do any of you do that? Do you have any suggestions?? it would really Help, I was out Firrst real Ball to be Beautiful or our sisters and Alum. Any adivce would help!

greek love,
binks
Old 01-03-2003, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about you but-

The whole formal is cocktail hour for us!!! whether you pay for/eat dinner or not is so not important.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Re: What about your formals?

Quote:
Originally posted by binks
I don't know if i am posting on the right Forum, but oh well. I am Social Chair this year and i am in the middle of Planning our First REAL Sapphire Ball ( our Formal) I already have the place and i'm getting the menu sections in the next week so we can narrow it down to two. My Big Question is does your Sororities or Fraternities have a Cocktail Hour before the Dinner? We have A lot of Alum inthe Area who may not be able to stay for the whole thing, but i thought it would be nice to have an cocktail hour so they can come and visit , etc. Do any of you do that? Do you have any suggestions?? it would really Help, I was out Firrst real Ball to be Beautiful or our sisters and Alum. Any adivce would help!

greek love,
binks
Hey Binks,

What chapter are you from again? I noticed you said your first real Ball did you have a different formal before?

Iota Gamma is planning its second Sapphire Ball for April 26th. It's on the waterfront and here in Los Angeles it will be an absolutely gorgeous night. Anyway, what we do instead of having an advertised cocktail hour we have it listed as hors d'ouvres from such and such a time. We do have the closed bar available of course during that time and throughout the ball. We just feel since it is still a Phi Sigma Sigma function that we don't want to advertise cocktails even with the closed bar. Plus with the hor d'ouvres being served it helps to put food in the stomachs of the women who may not have eaten all day while they were getting ready for the Ball (especially for those who may want to order drinks right away - not good to drink on empty stomach)

Have fun and can't wait to hear how your Sapphire Ball goes!

LITP,
Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 01-04-2003, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I am From the Gamma Sigma Chapter in Va. We wre founded in 1979, But a few years ago they had a bunch of girls graduate and the sorority went down to 3 . So the chapter reorganized and they did not do much social activites, wsince they were trying to get the chapter back up. I was one of the eight who came to the chapter when it was reoganizing. So it's like we restarted the Chapter( the orginal three graduater the spring we came in) Does that make any sense?? Last year we Had Ball, But it was on a river boat , So it was a little different cause we did not have enough people(we only had 10 sisters) to have our own floor so we had to share with other people. So THis year we have money in the budget and we have enough sisters( we have 20 and then all the girls we get in the spring--goal 11) to have it at a hotel. I have already reserved the place. With our Chapter we have a lot of alum in the area who want to come but not for dinner. So i want to do a hour before our sit down dinner when we have light hor d' ourves so the alum can come a visit free of charge to them. We are close to a lot of our alum in the area, and want then to come for awhile. So a "Cocktail Hour" would be the best thing i can think of. We have reserved a block of rooms in the hotle at discount for sisters to stay in and then i am also looking at a bus/van service. I have been to a lot of formals and semi-formals for fraternities so i have an idea what it takes to run one, but i'm just nervous i want the evening to the Enchanting for the sisters! Our is on the 26th of april too! We have inititiation that day so we always plan a social on days with inititiations. Well i must go now.

P.S. ---Carolyn, are you running for a position for 2003-2004?

LITP, Binks
Old 01-04-2003, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
HI Again Binks,

Sounds like you've got good plans already in motion for your Sapphire Ball. I like the idea about having the cocktail hour for the Alums, I'm going to suggest we do a meet and greet hour like that for Alums who don't want to attend the ball but would like to come and say hello to the chapter. We can even have the photographer set up early enough just in case any of the Alum want to take pictures. This is our second Ball and we have a little more money and time to plan it this time around. The first time we planned it at the same time we were going through colonization, chapter installation, and our initiation Much more relaxed planning this time, plus we have all the wisdom from our first Sapphire Ball Chair to rely upon.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to run for a position this coming year. Our elections are in March/April. I was the Founding MOC and was Archon last year. This year I decided not to run for eboard and instead decided to run for Alumnae Chair, plus I'm Webmistress. Much more relaxing time for me as Alumnae Chair and Webmistress then being on E-board. I needed the slower pace this year after the hectic time of being a founder and being on eboard the last two years all while being a graduate student. It was fun though. What about you are you going to run for eboard?

Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 01-04-2003, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Binks! Sounds like you have an awesome plan for your formal. I PMed you...check you box!

LITP,
Jadey