Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,261
2 members and 1,259 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Telling people you're an AI

Last edited by Jen; 08-13-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't take a single class where I was initiated. Therefore, when people say, "What chapter are you from?", I take care to 'finesse' my words and I usually say, "I went to the University of ______ " or "I got my undergrad degree at _____ " and let people jump to their own conclusions that I initiated there too. (because that's where I got my degree).

Sure....it's not entirely forthcoming and a tad misleading, but I feel like that is the chapter that I have the most ties to, etc.
I just find it emotionally exhausting to have to go into a 20 minute explanation as to how I actually became a member, so I choose to take the path of least resistance.

For women who pledged their sorority, and then only AI'd into that same sorority but at a different campus maybe 10-20 years later, they might say something like "I pledged ABC at University of <insert alma mater here>", because technically that is TRUE...they did PLEDGE there, they just weren't initiated there.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I just say "I was initiated at the UBC". It's the truth.

Aries, your initiation class is a good one!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Good question! Like CP2000, I was initiated at a chapter which was at a university I never attended. I often run into difficulty because a lot of people know that I went to Long Beach State University and yet I'm not from that chapter. I am very proud of having graduated from Long Beach and I don't want to have people thinking I graduated from the University of San Diego. At the same time, I don't want people to be confused into thinking that I'm from the Long Beach chapter.

There are a *lot* of LBSU alumnae around. In the past when I've said, "Oh, I went to Long Beach" the ladies respond with "Oh me too! We're chapter sisters! What year were you? Do you know so and so?" I then have to back track and explain that I'm an AI and I was initiated with University of San Diego.

So, I now I just tell people, "Epsilon Gamma, University of San Diego; but, I graduated from Long Beach State." That seems to work really well. I suppose it almost sounds like I pledged at USD, but transfered to Long Beach. Sometimes I just say "Epsilon Gamma". I don't feel like I'm tricking anybody - it's just that when people ask you what chapter you're from, they expect a two word response, not a 20 minute speech about alumnae initiation.

And before anyone gets the wrong impression, no, I don't hide that fact that I'm an AI. I'm always happy to volunteer that information and, when I do, people are always supportive and excited for me.

With that said, I often wish that Gamma Phi Beta had allowed me to initiate with the chapter at Long Beach State; that would save me sooo much effort when people ask me to explain things!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
The other killer question is about where I went to school - to which I respond "which time?" and explain my perpetual student status (though I like to refer to it as collector of degrees!)

Sarah
I just say that I am a professional learner - always wanting to expand my brain!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

I'm very proud of being an AI.. so I tell the truth!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel
I'm very proud of being an AI.. so I tell the truth!

I tell the truth as well! (?!?!)

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-04-2005, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I've gotten to the point where I don't say "I was an alumna initiate". I just say "Alpha Lambda" and let them put two and two together.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I usually tell people straight away that I'm AI if they ask. People usually are curious since they know that I went to a non-Greek school for my undergrad.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

we regular initiates took the easy (and quicker)way out when we joined and were initiated in college, while your journeys can take years from start to finish. i am excited to meet alumna initiates and hold you all in very high regard, so if i had a vote, i would say please let people know that you are an alumna initiate-you deserve the recognition!!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree!!! I am very impressed when I learn someone is an alumnae initiate!!

I am even more impressed when any alumna stays active with her sorority/fraternity.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
I agree!!! I am very impressed when I learn someone is an alumnae initiate!!

I am even more impressed when any alumna stays active with her sorority/fraternity.
Couldnt agree with You more.

While AI is some what New to some, it is not to others.

As in some do, some do little and some do almost not at all.

But, Never Ever Feel Like you have to give a reason and feel sad.

Each and every AI has become a duly Initiated Member of Their Said GLO, it is something to be Very Proud of.

Many times as has been seen, it takes a longer trek to get there. It there fore is much more rewarding to them.

The historical value of Not only the GC Members who have AIed, but the many before each who have been overly Productive Members of Their GLOs.

It is a Proud Heretige to be proud of! As the Song says "Hold Your Head High, Hold Your Head High"!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
we regular initiates took the easy (and quicker)way out when we joined and were initiated in college, while your journeys can take years from start to finish. i am excited to meet alumna initiates and hold you all in very high regard, so if i had a vote, i would say please let people know that you are an alumna initiate-you deserve the recognition!!
I don't know if I'd say that anyone (AI or otherwise) took the "easy way out" when joining a fraternity or sorority.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:00 AM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
I've gotten to the point where I don't say "I was an alumna initiate". I just say "Alpha Lambda" and let them put two and two together.
HA that's funny. I think ADPi might have a chapter designation (for badge guards) for Alumnae Initiates. Can any ADPis confirm this? So they can actually say I'm from the XY chapter and it would be true!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiZXalum
HA that's funny. I think ADPi might have a chapter designation (for badge guards) for Alumnae Initiates. Can any ADPis confirm this? So they can actually say I'm from the XY chapter and it would be true!
Omega Alpha is the chaper designation for Alpha Delta Pi alumnae initiates.