GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,004
0 members and 1,004 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2010, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Question!?I need help! (Switch Sorority?)

Last year I went to college as a freshmen and joined a sorority to try and make my college experience better along with meeting new people. Over the summer I learned that my parents could not afford to send me to that college any more and I needed to transfer to another college closer to home, and to help out my family. I am at the college were my whole family went and my mom, aunt, cousins, and grandma were all in the same sorority. I want to be able to experience meeting new friends and being in that bond of sisterhood at this new school and in general! But I am in a tough situation because I already had pledged in another sorority at a different college and the sorority is not at my new college. Is there anything I can possibly do to be in the same sorority my mom and family was in at the new college I am at to try and have that sisterhood experience? I understand there are many polocies and rules about this... but this was out of my control! Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thankyou.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

If you joined one of the 26 NPC sororities at your first college and were initiated then it is not possible for you to join another NPC sorority. Sorry but there are no exceptions.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
OHHHHHHHHH But it was out of your control! Of course they can make an exception!!

/sarcasm

If you initiated in your first group, you cannot join any other NPC group.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyD View Post
Last year I went to college as a freshmen and joined a sorority to try and make my college experience better along with meeting new people. Over the summer I learned that my parents could not afford to send me to that college any more and I needed to transfer to another college closer to home, and to help out my family. I am at the college were my whole family went and my mom, aunt, cousins, and grandma were all in the same sorority. I want to be able to experience meeting new friends and being in that bond of sisterhood at this new school and in general! But I am in a tough situation because I already had pledged in another sorority at a different college and the sorority is not at my new college. Is there anything I can possibly do to be in the same sorority my mom and family was in at the new college I am at to try and have that sisterhood experience? I understand there are many polocies and rules about this... but this was out of my control! Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thankyou.
QFP.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

if you change your name, get plastic surgery so that your face is no longer recognizable, and never talk to anyone you knew before again, then maybe.

otherwise no.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongreek View Post
if you change your name, get plastic surgery so that your face is no longer recognizable, and never talk to anyone you knew before again, then maybe.

otherwise no.
and get a new SSN.

Θ Φ Α

Old 07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

swerve/

Is this something that isn't taught to new members? Or something that actives would know? It always surprises me that SO MANY people 1) don't know the rules of their organizations/councils and 2) seemingly have no one in the "real world" to ask.

/swerve

Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
swerve/

Is this something that isn't taught to new members? Or something that actives would know? It always surprises me that SO MANY people 1) don't know the rules of their organizations/councils and 2) seemingly have no one in the "real world" to ask.

/swerve
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyD View Post
I understand there are many polocies and rules about this... but this was out of my control!
She already knows the answer. She either a) doesn't want to believe it, or b) thinks that they'll actually make an exception for her (because she's special and it was "out of her control")

@~/~~~~
Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
She already knows the answer. She either a) doesn't want to believe it, or b) thinks that they'll actually make an exception for her (because she's special and it was "out of her control")
OK. I remember reading that this morning, but didn't go back when I posted my reply. It's so silly to me that a rule that says "NO EXCEPTIONS" would generate this many questions.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:47 PM

If either the sorority that you joined at your first school, or the one that all your family members were in is a local sorority - i.e., it only exists at your one college and does not have chapters at any other college in the world - then you can join a new one.

But if they are both two of the 26 NPC sororities, then NO, you cannot. It sucks but no exceptions can be made.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OK. I remember reading that this morning, but didn't go back when I posted my reply. It's so silly to me that a rule that says "NO EXCEPTIONS" would generate this many questions.
But don't you get it... SHE'S SPECIAL!

@~/~~~~
Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
My thought has always been that they come here thinking we'll be able to tell them a double secret way to get around the rules because we totally feel sorry for them. Or we will tell them it's ok to lie because OMG it was out of their control in the first place!

I sort of wonder how her family feels about it since they are obviously so devoted to ABC. Would they really truly go along with it just because baby girl feels entitled to haz new sorority now?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
swerve/

/swerve
On top of what everyone else said, I think it's some people's first time associated with any kind of national organization. And they don't quite "get" that ABC at once school is part of the same org as ABC at another, and yes they follow the same national rules and all of them follow the same national conference rules and so on.

They just don't get that it's not the same as joining any other campus organization or association.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
And they don't quite "get" that ABC at once school is part of the same org as ABC at another, and yes they follow the same national rules and all of them follow the same national conference rules and so on.
Until of course they want to affiliate with a top tier chapter at a super competitive school. Then they're all about sisterhood being for life.......
Old 07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Also useful to mention that if she was previous in an NPC and now trying to join an NPHC (or vice versa), that's also a no go.

Is there some reason why you only feel you can have "sisterhood" in your mother's sorority? Have you thought of colonizing your previous sorority at your new college? That way, you'll have as much control over the "sisterhood" factor as you want without breaking any rules :9
ΦΒ To be rather than to seem to be.