GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,011
1 members and 1,010 guests
No Members online

Old 12-23-2005, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Duquesne University Fraternities (Kappa Sigma Phi and Beta Pi Sigma)

are there any registered users who belonged to these two fraternities? I didn't see them listed in the Duquesne University website. What happened to them? These were two local fraternities in Duquesne campus. It'd be a shame if they "disappeared".

I knew a whole bunch of Kaps, so I wonder what they're up to.

later,

j.c.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't realize Duquesne had locals

How long ago was this when you were there?

I know the fraternities and the administration didn't get along well for awhile.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

My brother had a friend at Duquesne who was a Gamma Chi. That's a local, I would imagine. It was also a gazillion years ago!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Yup... Duquesne had a couple of locals:

fraternities: Kappa Sigma Phi, Beta Pi Sigma.

sororities: Sigma Lambda Phi, Tau Delta Tau.

Through this forum, I found out what happened to the Sigma Lambda Phi (the Lambs); I knew a whole bunch of them. I had also found out they joined a national sorority (don't remember which). The Tau Delta Tau sorority did the same thing.

by the way, I remember when Sigma Alpha Epsilon (am I right?) used to be Zeta Beta Tau (in Duquesne, of course). Why they changed? don't know.

They even had a chapter of the now infamous Delta Tau Chi...
the fraternity of the movie "Animal House". They shut down this fraternity almost nationwide. I met a guy who was a Delta Tau Chi, who told me in 1990 that his fraternity was reduced to two campuses (I started in Duquesne the year after they were banned in campus).

I went to Duquesne from 1988-1992, B.A.

1992-1995 (M.A.) but ended up graduating in 1997; I had moved and was doing "field work" (independent study).

Thanks for your reply. It is somewhat sad that a new generation does not know that Duquesne University had local fraternities. are you in a fraternity/sorority? Go check out the yearbooks... you'll find some interesting things (I know I did)

I would appreciate if you find out something and let me know. I'd let you know (privately... e-mails and private messages) some of the stuff that went on then.

later,

Perdido88

Truhan El Mero-Mero
Old 12-24-2005, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the reply, Honeychile. I know you're very active in this forum.

But one correction: its Gamma Phi, not Gamma Chi.
Duquesne had Gamma Phi, also known as the Gammas. Good bunch of crazy guys. I had a couple of friends, who were Gammas, but I didn't hang out with them as much.

Know your brother's friend's name?

Thanks for the Reply.

perdido88
Old 12-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by perdido88

Duquesne had Gamma Phi, also known as the Gammas. Good bunch of crazy guys. I had a couple of friends, who were Gammas, but I didn't hang out with them as much.

Thanks for the Reply.

perdido88
It was Don Something. I'll ask him tomorrow - and yes, he was crazy!!! Even though my brother is now a pastor, he sowed a few wild oats himself in school!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
know.

They even had a chapter of the now infamous Delta Tau Chi...
the fraternity of the movie "Animal House". They shut down this fraternity almost nationwide. I met a guy who was a Delta Tau Chi, who told me in 1990 that his fraternity was reduced to two campuses (I started in Duquesne the year after they were banned in campus).
Actually, the fraternity in Animal House was based on Alpha Delta Phi at Dartmouth. They became the local Alpha Delta in 1969 and still exists at Dartmouth.

Delta Tau Chi never existed as an organized national fraternity - there may have been various local groups who thought it was cool to name themselves after the Animal House fraternity, but it was simply a case of likemindedness. "They" (whoever "they" are) did not shut down this fraternity nationwide - there was nothing to shut down nationallly. More likely the different groups either died out or joined national fraternities.

There is, of course, a Delta Chi fraternity, but it has nothing to do with either Animal House or Dartmouth.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I didn't know that. They did take themselves seriously, those Delta Tau Chi. My friend spoke of them as if they were the real thing. If I seem to remember the yearbook correctly, Duquesne 1987, they had a charter and all the privileges of a national fraternity. Thus, the confusion.

Thanks for clearing that up. In hindsight, I think it was cool to have met someone from that group. It was a part of history... even if it was not entirely legitimate.

Still, I would like to find out what happened to the Kaps (Kappa Sigma Phi) and the Betas (Beta Pi Sigma) if possible. I tried to contact the Duquesne Greek office, but they haven't replied to my e-mail.

later,

perdido88
Old 12-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks for the Reply.

perdido88
Don Altmeyer.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Duquesne University Fraternities (Kappa Sigma Phi and Beta Pi Sigma)

Quote:
are there any registered users who belonged to these two fraternities? I didn't see them listed in the Duquesne University website. What happened to them? These were two local fraternities in Duquesne campus. It'd be a shame if they "disappeared".

I knew a whole bunch of Kaps, so I wonder what they're up to.

later,

j.c.
Hey i go to duquesne now and the only local that is there is Gamma Phi. The Kaps had their charter revoked this year as did the Lambs. As for the Betas I haven't seen any on campus for awhile so they must have left before i came there. Officially the Lambs are not a npc sorority and while duq is searching for another sorority i dont know if it will be the lambs. And i so agree with honeychile, the gammas are one crazy group of guys that are great to have fun with!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Re: Re: Duquesne University Fraternities (Kappa Sigma Phi and Beta Pi Sigma)

Quote:
Originally posted by bordeaux hearts
Officially the Lambs are not a npc sorority and while duq is searching for another sorority i dont know if it will be the lambs.
Do you mean...when another NPC sorority is chosen...it's not a "done deal" that the Lambs will be a part of it?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

well, thanks for those replies. Too bad the Kaps lost their charter. They were a staple in the Duquesne Greek community. There was a priest, Father Crowley, who was a longtime Kap (kappa sigma phi) and would sometimes wear a sweatshirt with his letters while wearing his priest "cassock" (?). I would feel bad for Father Crowley (if he's still alive) to have to go through that.

I guess the Betas disappeared (probably had their charter revoked) a while after I left. This is too bad also because they were very recognizable.... if not rowdy.

My feeling is that Duquesne administrators got tired of the antics of some of the local fraternities and just went after them.

I remember the Gammas were cool too... as I had a number of friends who were Gamma Phi.

I know somebody who posted is an Alpha Phi. I remember the Alpha Phis at Duquesne. They were cool... at least the ones I met.

Well, take care and many thanks.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

To those in Duquesne, enjoy your years over there.

later,

perdido88
Old 01-04-2006, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Sigma Phi/Duquesne

To respond to those posts regarding the Kaps at Duquesne and the Betas...

I was (am) a Kap and was in contact w/ most of the guys from '97 to 2002. I ran out of money and had to transfer home in '99...where i finished my BA and MA at UMaine. I still flew into Pittsburgh for my birthday over my school spring break and stayed w/ some of the brothers the following four years after transferring out. Haven't been back to Pittsburgh since 2002. We lost our charter in either '98 or '99 due to Hazing bs I won't get into. Father Hogan had never really liked us to begin w/. I'm surprised our alumni was not more vocal when we had our charter revoked; however. I've been trying to punch names of friends and contacts I had at school into yahoo and google to no avail to get in touch...until I read Perdido's post (Father Crowley's name popped up), I hadn't really had any success! I'm sorry to say that Father Crowley passed away around the year 2000. He was awesome-he would sing the Maine Stein Song word for word before I even knew what it was! The Betas were active until at least '99...one guy from Maine (like me) was a member, but he's a PA in North Carolina right now. I never heard anything specifically...I know that they were in Carnival one of the years that I had come back for spring break but that's it. I'm sure the Kaps are still alive...maybe like the Sheiks at Duquesne stayed for awhile-without official school recognition. I thought that we were going to reapply for charter status though. Anyone who knows any Kaps from Duquesne drop them my email so that they can get in touch w/ me. Thanks,
Travis Geistert
FPC '97...Frankie, No Neck, and the Weebles...

OUT!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

hey, geistert... did you get to meet James Jones, Geoff Pentes or marc Alzamora? there's a guy named Joe Nelson who still works at the Duquesne Library who is a Kap. if you want to get in touch, post a message and I will send you an e-mail with some of the names that I know.

by the way, I am not a Kap... I didn't join Kappa Sigma Phi... but I wish I was 'cause they were a cool fraternity... I just knew a whole bunch of them.

geistert, thanks for the post.

Father Crowley, Requiescat in Pacem... we will miss you.

later,

perdido88
Old 01-04-2006, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Kaps @ Duq

Quote:
hey, geistert... did you get to meet James Jones, Geoff Pentes or marc Alzamora? there's a guy named Joe Nelson who still works at the Duquesne Library who is a Kap. if you want to get in touch, post a message and I will send you an e-mail with some of the names that I know.
I knew of (through the nightmares of remembering everyone's big brothers and big big big etc brothers) their names!! I think I met Joe Nelson wasted one night out at the White Eagle...remember that sketchy spot on the southside??!! Alzamora's name I remember really well...I probably did mad pushups for forgetting it a couple of times...but I never will again!!

The oldest guys that I knew well were Troy Grunseth and Romer...Petey DeCarli (wrestler)...Brian Corridoni...Lauris Rigdon...etc. there were other guys too that I just can't recall their names off the top of my head...yeah, send me that list.

peace,

Travis