GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,437
1 members and 1,436 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Former ADPi Chapters

Hello all!

I am a very recent alum member of a Michigan chapter of Alpha Delta Pi. It has always disheartened me to know that there are only two active ADPi chapters in Michigan (Oakland University and U of M). However, I have seen mention of there being one at Michigan State and one at Wayne State University that both closed in the 1970's. I have searched basically since I joined the organization four years ago and finally found this tonight:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rig...ution-sa,2683/

(specifically, where it cites: Souter v. Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Michigan State University Chapter)

Does anyone know anything about this case? I can't find anything on it!

If anyone has any info on why these chapters are no longer around, could you please provide some information? I'm just very interested in this sort of thing =)

Thanks! Pi <3
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymylittleadpi1 View Post
Hello all!

I am a very recent alum member of a Michigan chapter of Alpha Delta Pi. It has always disheartened me to know that there are only two active ADPi chapters in Michigan (Oakland University and U of M). However, I have seen mention of there being one at Michigan State and one at Wayne State University that both closed in the 1970's. I have searched basically since I joined the organization four years ago and finally found this tonight:

(specifically, where it cites: Souter v. Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Michigan State University Chapter)

If anyone has any info on why these chapters are no longer around, could you please provide some information? I'm just very interested in this sort of thing =)

Thanks! Pi <3
I don't think The Onion is the most reliable news source...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of how credible The Onion is, I have found that these chapters did exist.

http://www.adpi-phichapter.org/chaptersbyyear.php

http://alphadeltapi.findyoursisters....pgid=7160&sn=1

The article is not my main concern, I was just wondering if anyone knew any information regarding it.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Lane Swerve--- onion is fake news
Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

another lane swerve---- does anyone wonder if the onion gets permission of GLO's when they use their name? like in this video where the girl is a Theta:

http://www.theonion.com/video/thousa...sing-so,18302/
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Regardless of how credible The Onion is, I have found that these chapters did exist.

http://www.adpi-phichapter.org/chaptersbyyear.php

http://alphadeltapi.findyoursisters....pgid=7160&sn=1

The article is not my main concern, I was just wondering if anyone knew any information regarding it.
As everyone has said, the Onion is satire/fake news. This is pointed out by the fact that when a sorority or fraternity is named in a lawsuit, they are referred to by their chapter name, not their educational institution. (Ex: Joe Smith vs. Zeta Tau chapter of Alpha Beta Fraternity) Either that or the national GLO as a whole is named. A legal document would never refer to "the Michigan State University Chapter."

Also, there is no such thing as a "former" chapter - that would imply the chapter is no longer part of the organization and became part of another organization. Chapters that are not currently active on the campus where they were chartered are referred to as inactive, closed, resolved, or dormant.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Also, there is no such thing as a "former" chapter - that would imply the chapter is no longer part of the organization and became part of another organization. Chapters that are not currently active on the campus where they were chartered are referred to as inactive, closed, resolved, or dormant.

Aren't there some NPC chapters that were "released" other NPCs early on? For example, a Pi Beta Phi chapter being released to Tri-Delta? I recall seeing a few instances of this in irishpipes' thread.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's not get technical here.

OP, please go to www.theonion.com and start reading some random stories. They are often HYSTERICAL, but should give you some perspective. This isn't "the National Enquirer isn't real," it's "Harry Potter isn't real." One can be a wild exaggeration of the truth. The other is pure and utter fiction. Even if he's real to me.

They could have used a fictional sorority name, but they chose to name a case about privacy between Supreme Court Justice Souter and a real sorority. It was probably written by an ADPi who thought it was funnier this way.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The Onion is 100% satire. The reason you can't find the case it cites is because that case does not exist.

If you read the ADPi anthology "Sisters," you may learn why/when those chapters closed. A number of Greek chapters closed in the 60s and 70s when Greek Life numbers declined in general. The interest was not there, but began to rebuild in the 80s.

It is always possible that ADPi will be selected for expansion at a university, even ones where a chapter previously closed. Having active alumnae in the area to support a prospective chapter is one major factor that is considered, so be sure you stay involved!

Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks! Pi <3
Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
another lane swerve---- does anyone wonder if the onion gets permission of GLO's when they use their name? like in this video where the girl is a Theta:

http://www.theonion.com/video/thousa...sing-so,18302/
They don't need permission to say the name of a GLO, the same as you don't need permission. The Onion is satire, and that is protected speech, no matter how absurd.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy View Post
Aren't there some NPC chapters that were "released" to other NPCs early on? For example, a Pi Beta Phi chapter being released to Tri-Delta? I recall seeing a few instances of this in irishpipes' thread.
Yes. That would be the only instance I could think of where you could correctly refer to a "former" chapter - NPC wise, anyway.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Onion fans might enjoy this blog of Facebook discussions of Onion articles taken seriously: http://literallyunbelievable.tumblr.com/