Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,346
1 members and 1,345 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Parents sue Episcopal School of Dallas over daughter's relationship with teacher

The parents of a former student at the Episcopal School of Dallas are suing the private school, accusing it of failing to protect their 16-year-old daughter from a sexual relationship with a teacher and expelling her “for being a victim.”

“The teacher victimized her, then the school victimized her,” the girl’s father said in an interview. The parents are identified in court papers as John and Jane Doe to protect their daughter’s privacy. The Rev. Stephen Swann, the school’s headmaster, did not return a call for comment, but attorney Donald E. Godwin said the school “took every appropriate action.”

“ESD did not dismiss the young lady from the school,” Godwin said. “It was the decision of the parents, of the father, to remove the student from the school.” The lawsuit alleges that J. Nathan Campbell, who taught history at the school, had a sexual relationship with the girl for seven months. Campbell could not be reached for comment.

The relationship, which allegedly began in the spring of 2009, was discovered last fall when the teacher and student were found by police at night in a car in an abandoned parking lot. According to the parents, the two claimed the girl was undergoing counseling. No arrests were made immediately, but after the Police Department contacted the school, Campbell resigned.

link

I guess I'm failing to see how this is the school's fault. Sure, they're the ones with the money, but if they're truly seeking justice, they should be going after the teacher.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
The parents of a former student at the Episcopal School of Dallas are suing the private school, accusing it of failing to protect their 16-year-old daughter from a sexual relationship with a teacher and expelling her “for being a victim.”

“The teacher victimized her, then the school victimized her,” the girl’s father said in an interview. The parents are identified in court papers as John and Jane Doe to protect their daughter’s privacy. The Rev. Stephen Swann, the school’s headmaster, did not return a call for comment, but attorney Donald E. Godwin said the school “took every appropriate action.”

“ESD did not dismiss the young lady from the school,” Godwin said. “It was the decision of the parents, of the father, to remove the student from the school.” The lawsuit alleges that J. Nathan Campbell, who taught history at the school, had a sexual relationship with the girl for seven months. Campbell could not be reached for comment.

The relationship, which allegedly began in the spring of 2009, was discovered last fall when the teacher and student were found by police at night in a car in an abandoned parking lot. According to the parents, the two claimed the girl was undergoing counseling. No arrests were made immediately, but after the Police Department contacted the school, Campbell resigned.

link

I guess I'm failing to see how this is the school's fault. Sure, they're the ones with the money, but if they're truly seeking justice, they should be going after the teacher.
School's arguably responsible for hiring the teacher/keeping the teacher and allegedly expelling the student.

I say arguably since that's the whole point of the case.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

I can't comment on Texas law, but I could definitely see a possible case against the school for negligent hiring (if the teacher has a history) and failure to protect because of the in loco parentis relationship if that's supported by the law in Texas.

I trust that the lawsuit against both the teacher and the school isn't frivolous. And as to its outcome, I don't really care.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
failure to protect because of the in loco parentis relationship
I can see that, but isn't that only in effect while the child is at school?

I doubt that 1) they were engaging in intercourse/promoting their relationship during school hours and 2) giving daily updates of their statutory exploits to administrators.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can see that, but isn't that only in effect while the child is at school?

I doubt that 1) they were engaging in intercourse/promoting their relationship during school hours and 2) giving daily updates of their statutory exploits to administrators.
If I introduced you to a guy and told you he was a really great person and you should hang out, and then he steals all your stuff, you're gonna be pissed at me. If I were somehow in a position of authority and told you to hang out with this guy, you might sue me.

No, having a relationship isn't stealing, but it is a violation of trust, ethics, policy and possibly the law.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
If I introduced you to a guy and told you he was a really great person and you should hang out, and then he steals all your stuff, you're gonna be pissed at me. If I were somehow in a position of authority and told you to hang out with this guy, you might sue me.

No, having a relationship isn't stealing, but it is a violation of trust, ethics, policy and possibly the law.
I'd be pissed at him, not you (but I see what you're getting at).

On the other hand, though, it's not as if the school forced them into a relationship. The two started the relationship (hopefully) without any influence from the school.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'd be pissed at him, not you (but I see what you're getting at).

On the other hand, though, it's not as if the school forced them into a relationship. The two started the relationship (hopefully) without any influence from the school.
Yeah I was trying to emphasize that I vouched for him.
It may be more of a "should have known" than anything else. But it'll come down the the actual case in court.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like they are suing for the so called expulsion. Based on your personal experience in your state, can they do that if they have the father signing a form?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Looks like they are suing for the so called expulsion. Based on your personal experience in your state, can they do that if they have the father signing a form?
You can sue for pretty much anything, whether or not they'll win.. no clue
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
That school is located in the Park Cities (VERY affluent part of Dallas). I doubt that anyone sending his/her child to that school would be duped into signing a document sight unseen.

The family's probably just backpeddling.

(but I'll follow Drolefille's lead and wait for the court case before passing judgement )

Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
(but I'll follow Drolefille's lead and wait for the court case before passing judgement )
If I were a betting man, I'd bet on a settlement.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Just an FYI, the school's main campus is not located in the Park Cities but it is a very affluent school with many influential parents within the community.

As a former teacher of this age group, young male teachers need to be trained in dealing with the "fairer" sex at this age. Young men with ego issues need not apply. I've seen it all too often.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Just an FYI, the school's main campus is not located in the Park Cities but it is a very affluent school with many influential parents within the community.
Isn't it off Midway between Walnut Hill and Royal? That's right on the edge of HP.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

is it bad this thread made this song pop into my head?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahU-x-4Gxw
Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post

As a former teacher of this age group, young male teachers need to be trained in dealing with the "fairer" sex at this age. Young men or women with ego issues need not apply. I've seen it all too often.
Fixed that for you given the rash of young female teachers sleeping with their young male students in the past few years.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!