GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 859
4 members and 855 guests
*winter*, Cookiez17, PrettyBoy

Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Transgender Women.

Hello everyone! So I have wanted to join a Sorority for a long time now. But as it is I am a transgender. I have some friends that told me that My chances of getting into one are one in a million. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I will be going to Collage next year and no matter what you say I am going to try; I would just like some advise.
78. Because 7 is the number of completion and 8 is the number of a new beginning. The thing is, you can not get to 8 without first understanding 7. You have to understand that you are closing the door on your past before you can open the door to the rest of your life.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

If you're going to be in college, please spell it that way. Otherwise, we'll think you're going to be torn up and smacked in the middle of some artwork.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Depends on the college climate, honestly. Talk to the Greek Life office.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry. I am on a phone right now. I am not used to this.

And thank you. I will do that.
78. Because 7 is the number of completion and 8 is the number of a new beginning. The thing is, you can not get to 8 without first understanding 7. You have to understand that you are closing the door on your past before you can open the door to the rest of your life.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.thepantheronline.com/opin...-sans-sorority
Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for the link!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Depending on the state the OP was born in, legally changing sex on the birth certificate may not be possible. Some states require sexual reassignment surgery to change it while others don't and some won't change the designation at all.

It's sad that place of birth can affect whether a trans person can join a Greek organization. That's why I believe Greek orgs really need to modernize their thinking in terms of trans people. Some may not be able to legally do what's necessary to change their sex legally, despite having sexual reassignment surgery or living as their real gender. To bar someone from joining because of that is so short-sighted to me.
Co-sign.

OP, for what it's worth, I know several transgender women in sororities on my campus. I'm not sure about the legality of it, but if you're worried at all about campus culture, the women I know are very accepted by other Greeks and enjoy Greek life!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypi View Post
Are you legally female? Like on your birth certificate, license etc? If you are not, I don't think any or at least most sororities can give a bid to a legally bio male because of the single sex legal issues, and that's what that article is about.
Sadly, no. I was born in a state that requires me to have gotten the Op. And then after that it is still insanely hard to get them to do it. I mean... I would love to get the op; I want nothing more. But I do not really have a way to get my hands on $50k+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Depending on the state the OP was born in, legally changing sex on the birth certificate may not be possible. Some states require sexual reassignment surgery to change it while others don't and some won't change the designation at all.
It's sad that place of birth can affect whether a trans person can join a Greek organization. That's why I believe Greek orgs really need to modernize their thinking in terms of trans people. Some may not be able to legally do what's necessary to change their sex legally, despite having sexual reassignment surgery or living as their real gender. To bar someone from joining because of that is so short-sighted to me.
Yes. I need to get the Op first. And that is so unfair. That is a $50,000 op. Most people can not afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconmagnolia View Post
Co-sign.

OP, for what it's worth, I know several transgender women in sororities on my campus. I'm not sure about the legality of it, but if you're worried at all about campus culture, the women I know are very accepted by other Greeks and enjoy Greek life!
Thank you. I have been shocked at how supporting a lot of people have been. I grew up in a super Christian family, In super Christian towns, in a super Christian state. So I was really under the impression that everyone would hate me. But when I told my friends I was a transgender they just laughed and said to tell them something they dis not know.

I found something on Google that said there was a transgender who wanted to rush and the geek life offices Let her. It said that they did not know weather she would ever be able to pledge... but I think that is a start.

I Hope you can all understand this. I went from using a 42" screen for my computer to using a small phone when my comp quit on me.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Membership selection is determined by the chapters based on each group's national membership criteria. Panhellenic cannot determine who is extended a bid by a chapter. A transgender might be allowed to register for recruitment (just like someone with a 2.0 GPA is allowed to register) on some campuses, but it is unlikely that she would meet membership requirements.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 10-23-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, I don't think it looks good for you. There are a lot of laws and regulations the NPC has had to fight long and hard over to allow their sororities to remain restricted based on gender at schools that function under Title 9. While I appreciate your situation and your desire, my guess is most if not all NPC sororities wouldn't be able to take you if they wanted to.

I guess I would reach out to the Greek Life advisor at your school and see what's what, as a starting point. Because who knows? I could be wrong. If there are any local sororities there, then that's a whole different ball of wax too. And then there are the perfectly lovely non-NPC sororities that may have different rules or lack of rules they need to work within... you do have alternatives, it just may not be what you were thinking of.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to thank you all such for your help! It means a lot that people are willing to help me. I actually live in a collage town... I think I may spend some time trying to talk to some people in person and find out what they have to say. Although in my state I am going to say it is a big "no".
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Banned

Good luck with everything.

On a silly note, the initial collage was blah. Collage town made me chuckle. Life is filled with collages.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope it's a case of ongoing DYAC
Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerhope View Post
Hello everyone! So I have wanted to join a Sorority for a long time now. But as it is I am a transgender. I have some friends that told me that My chances of getting into one are one in a million. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I will be going to Collage next year and no matter what you say I am going to try; I would just like some advise.
I don't think anybody QFPed, so I'm doing it.
You might want to look into non-NPC groups, and local sororities. They often have different rules.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I don't think anybody QFPed, so I'm doing it.
You might want to look into non-NPC groups, and local sororities. They often have different rules.
I am starting to look into that. I really want to be part of a NPC... but life is not fair, right? It is funny... I was 13 when I learns what a Sorority was... I was obsessed instently... I spent years telling me self that I would be able to join one. My new is fitting. I tend to fill myself with false hope.