GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,338
2 members and 1,336 guests
No Members online

Old 05-11-2001, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Question TATTOOS

This question is mainly directed towards are greek members but, SF's are more than welcome to answer. How do feel about members of your sorority who get tattoos which display their sorority pride?
Old 05-11-2001, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Ms. Revlon,
I would have preferred to answer this question to you directly, but your email is not given.
Anyway, I have heard rumors that an overwhelming majority of BGLO women DO have tattoos, but ya just can't see 'em unless they want you ta see 'm
Old 05-12-2001, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to OhSoPrettyNikki
Speaking from a SF point of view:

I have 2 tattoos myself and I love them, in fact I am about to get another one.
I have one on my chest and the other on my calf. I have no idea where to put the next one. I also have a tongue ring, but that is another story.

Anywhooo, I have several friends and family members that have sorority or fraternity tattoos. Most of the men display them with pride. However I have noticed that the women almost always have them in a very inconspicous place. Perhaps there is a reason for this.

What is also interesting is that of the few female friends that have more than one tattoo
the only hidden one is the sorority tattoo. Makes you say hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

------------------
"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

When da EAST is in da house....Oh my GOD!!!! DANGER!

[This message has been edited by OhSoPrettyNikki (edited May 12, 2001).]
Old 05-12-2001, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I obviously don't have a problem with it, since I have one displaying my sorority pride. However, I don't necessarily agree with a woman getting her letters on her. But to address the placing of the tattoo, it is in a place that someone wouldn't normally notice. That's just becasue I know when I get older that's not something I would want to show. The same goes with my tongue ring (piercings are easier to hide-just take them out).

[This message has been edited by pink_ace (edited May 12, 2001).]
Old 05-12-2001, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

What are some of the most interesting tattoos you have seen on someone representing AKA? Me personally was one Soror had the crest with pearls and all. Can you say Ouch!!!!
Old 05-12-2001, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

The cutest one I've seen so far is a soror had a vine of Ivy leaves going across her lower back. It was SO cute!!
Old 05-12-2001, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MS.REVLON:
What are some of the most interesting tattoos you have seen on someone representing AKA? Me personally was one Soror had the crest with pearls and all. Can you say Ouch!!!!
One of my homegirls got an ivyvine that's kind of in an 's' like formation...and it has pearls intertwining around the vine...it's on her bosom. It's really pretty...she was showing it to a few of us when she first got it, and one of her LS's said...well what is it? (she didn't have her contacts in)...and she said..."Count 'em! "

Old 05-14-2001, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, mine is an ivy leaf made with pearls with a frog in the center.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Though I like tattoos, tongue rings and all manner of piercings from an aesthetic standpoint, I guess I'm old school when it comes to our sorority...I wouldn't want to see Alpha Kappa Alpha's shield, letters or identifying symbols represented in a tattoo. It's one thing if a soror puts an ivy vine in a discreet place...an "if you have to ask, then you don't need to know" sorta thing. Otherwise, I see very visible sorority tattoos as unbecoming and unecessary advertising about something that is supposed to be more lofty and less "earthy", which is what tattoos are to me.

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited May 14, 2001).]
Old 05-14-2001, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AKA4MJ Send a message via Yahoo to AKA4MJ
Soror, I HATE TATTOO'S!!! All of them! And as a self contradiction, W and I do plan on having rings tattoed (SP?) on our ring fingers like the way Treach and Pep did (but our marriage will definitely last longer than theirs)...

But to answer the question, if it is placed in an area where it is not easily visible then, I guess it is ok.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA4MJ:
Soror, I HATE TATTOO'S!!! All of them! And as a self contradiction, W and I do plan on having rings tattoed (SP?) on our ring fingers like the way Treach and Pep did...

Old 05-14-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AKA4MJ Send a message via Yahoo to AKA4MJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08:

I know, confusing, huh! But that is the only tattoo that I would ever even consider getting. This is because I love the idea of it and how it will represent our decision to spend the rest ouf our lives together. Rings are material and this tatoo can never be lost, or taken off!! Well, unless it is removed.

Told ya, it was a contradiction...
Old 05-14-2001, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA4MJ:
I know, confusing, huh! But that is the only tattoo that I would ever even consider getting. This is because I love the idea of it and how it will represent our decision to spend the rest ouf our lives together. Rings are material and this tatoo can never be lost, or taken off!! Well, unless it is removed.

Told ya, it was a contradiction...
Ok, Soror, so y'all won't have actual rings, just the tattoos? Or yall are gonna have both? Girl, email me, I got some questions.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I tend to believe that different women can do different things and be viewed differently, I am one that believes I can do the tattoo thing and have it be perceived as all good.

Peace

[This message has been edited by LadyAKA (edited May 16, 2001).]
Old 05-14-2001, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Yeah, we should have gotten our upbringing from our momma, but unfortunately, many have not/did not. I got mine from my momma.

Anyway, when one enters into the land of XYZland,in OUR case, AKAland, one CONTINUES to grow, one CONTINUES to learn, one CONTINUES to become nurtured, etc. There are some things that one's mother cannot TEACH, unless she of course is a member of XYZ (AKA).

Understand what I'm saying?

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited May 14, 2001).]