GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,363
1 members and 1,362 guests
60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 01-16-2002, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

retail and restaurants

Well, as some of you know, I am stuck in a dead end job till June when I get to go to GRAD SCHOOL and get on with my life. As of right now, I am seriously questioning the idea of leaving this job behind ASAP and taking a job waitressing or working retail. I am going to have to do that partime when I go back to school and I think it would be easier to do that if I have already worked somewhere. So, my question is--where are some good places to work retail or waitress that you have worked? I am thinking of national chains. And where are some bad ones? Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-16-2002, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

J. Crew. I worked there for a summer at the Mall of Ga. Great place. Nice environment. Nice discounts!!
Old 01-16-2002, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked at Gap forever, and personally I loved it. A friend of mine worked for Banana Republic and she loved it as well. The discount rocked - 30% at Gap and Banana, 20% at Old Navy. The people make the job though, and i loved my managers and the people i worked with!
Old 01-16-2002, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I loved waiting tables at Buffalo's Cafe... The tips were great, and I had a good boss who let me set my own work schedule.

My suggestion is to pick a restaurant that is in a heavy-traffic area, so that you can be assured that there will always be customers inside.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are as sweet and cute as I THINK you are...work a restaurant-YOU CAN MAKE A MINT! Just not one oriented to young families or teens. Aim for one that has traffic. CHECk OUT THE PARKING LOT and avoid one with a lot of bombs.. Look for a mix of 35yrs and up.

The young people at a privately owned pizza parlor make 200 on the weekends (not a Pizza Hut-good homemde pizza ad more) On a weekday they walk out with 50.

The really great new 4 star rest. the kids make more on week nights but not that much more on the weekends because they don't turn tables or have a lot of volume.

We aren't that wealthy a community or that large.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Shoot for places that are expensive. You can get higher tips. Also think about places that serve alcohol, because drunk guys tend tip more.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye
I worked at Gap forever, and personally I loved it. A friend of mine worked for Banana Republic and she loved it as well. The discount rocked - 30% at Gap and Banana, 20% at Old Navy. The people make the job though, and i loved my managers and the people i worked with!
Ya know, I had to choice between Banana Republic and J.Crew. I found out the J.Crew management style was much more lax and comfortable. I actually have much more BR clothing but the friendly and lax environment of J.Crew lucked out. (check out their breaks rule) Plus, at BR you will have to clean the employee toliet! (at least at Mall of GA) hehe

Oh and you get 60% of things you can wear to work at J.Crew. (limited to like 14 pieces, I think)
Old 01-16-2002, 04:19 PM

Hi AOPiLaLa

I can definitely help you out with this one. I've been working retail since I was 16. I began at Miller's Outpost, during high school, then got hired with Dillard's during college.

Here's the thing, the smaller chain stores such as Miller's Outpost, now known as Anchor Blue, as well as J.Crew, the Gap, Banana Republic, etc. do not offer competitive wages. Well, not in my opinion. My sister used to work for Banana Republic and my sorority sister used to work for Gap, so I have some idea of their wages.

Therefore, either do the waitress thing since you'll probably make more money and have the option of more flexible hours, or do an upper end department store such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom's, Dillard's etc. Of course, you're not going to be rich, but I sure felt like I was when I left Miller's for Dillard's.

It's funny b/c I've worked at Dillard's my entire college career. Now that I've graduated there's noway that I'm going to leave Dillard's for some office job in psychology that will cut my income anywhere from $2-$5 an hour. It's how they (department stores) suck you in. I just see it as a way to push me to find an even better job and of course, continue school.

Hope this helps.
You can email me if you have any questions about the retail thing.