Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,293
1 members and 1,292 guests
GammaGirl1908

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Rest in Peace, bro_strawter

Although I've known Brother Tre'Nai Strawter for nearly my entire time as a member of Alpha Phi Omega (over a decade), I regrettably never met him in person.

Our interactions were initially over email. In fact, I have absolutely no idea how we came to know one another, but I remember clearly the zeal which he had for Alpha Phi Omega in the Spring of 1999 when he joined 32 other Tennessee State University Students and became a Petitioner of Alpha Phi Omega. He was the first member from a Historically Black University that I'd ever shared ideas with. As the only black pledge of my chapter that whole year, it was important for me to reach out to others who looked like me. You know, to know feel as isolated.

I think that Tre'Nai was eager to reach out as well. He had an uncommon devotion to the brotherhood beyond his chapter. His name is well known to those of us initiated in the late 1990s and beyond.

The road toward the perfection of brotherhood wasn't always easy for Tre'Nai. Over the years, we'd confide in one another our hopes and dreams for the fraternity. Like all of us, there were struggles internal and external to the chapter which Tre'Nai handled with as much grace and dignity as a young man in his 20s could muster when dealing with an imperfect system and so many personalities.

Tre'Nai and I clashed. Often. Here, on GreekChat. On other message boards. In public spheres and in private. But somehow we always found our way back to each other, as Brothers should.

Last year, I joked with him that he and I were the Alexis Colby and Dominique Devereaux of Alpha Phi Omega. We were two very strong-willed personalities who refused to back down from one another - or anyone else, for that matter. Of course, I always thought of myself as Little Mister Perfect whose duty it was to reel in the wayward Brother Strawter. And I'm sure, to him, I was just a bleeding-heart who needed a good shaking to toughen me up.

But, I loved him. Exactly as he was. And when I learned to accept him for who he was, then I could enjoy his friendship even more. I stopped trying to change him and I tried to ever-so-subtly convince him to volunteer more time to the fraternity through an alumni association. I definitely wanted him to attend the national convention in Atlanta and stand with me as I sought national office.

It was Founders Day - December 16 - when I was notified that he was deathly ill and wouldn't likely make it through the night. I broke down then and clasped my hands in prayer, hoping for a miracle. I thought to myself "It would be just like Tre'Nai to die on founders' day, just so we would all remember him as an integral part of the fraternity.

He didn't die on founders day. He died today. And he will still remain an integral part of what Alpha Phi Omega means to me.

For reasons I won't go into here, Tre'Nai Strawter forever changed Alpha Phi Omega. Any Brother who has pledged the fraternity through an HBCU chapter -- and some PWIs, too -- owes their experience to Tre'Nai. His interpretation of our fraternal values were the catalyst of change in HBCU chapters. While his vision was not perfect, it was a start. And today, we have strong men and strong women building strong chapters at schools which deserve our presence.

I miss my brother. I love my brother. I never told him enough. And I will never know if he knew just how much I appreciated him. But I thank God for who he was to me, to Psi Phi Chapter, and to Alpha Phi Omega.

Rest in paradise, dear brother.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

R.I.P. Bro. Strawter
Life Member Fall 2008
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Rest in peace, Brother.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Rest in Peace, Brother TreNai. We'll miss you, but rest assured, you're in a better place now.

KAY<>FNP
Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
What a beautiful tribute.

Rest in peace, Brother. We will miss you.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed, beautiful tribute. We have truly lost one of our own. Hopefully the memorial ceremony can be performed.

RIP Brother Strawter
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Very nice, Senruset. R.I.P. Brother Strawter.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss Sen & APO. RIP Brother_Strawter
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings Brothers,

I had the pleasure of becoming a member of Alpha Phi Omega in the Spring of 2003 under the watchful eye of Brother TreNai Strawter. He was a visionary to our beloved chapter and many other HBCU's. His vision helped start a movement across the country to reactivate lost chapters that were once long forgotten. I believed in the same principles that he believed in and at one point made it my duty to continue his legacy. He was a friend, brother, fellow Mason and mentor to myself and I was very close to him. I use to visit the Greek Chat forums very frequently about 5 years ago because of him. Thank You for your prayers. He would be honored by this tribute.

Below is the information on his funeral services and where flowers can be sent:

Trenai Strawter's viewing will be
on Monday, January 10th, 2011 from 2PM-8PM at:

Barksdale Funeral Home
1120 East State Fair.
Detroit, MI 48203
(2 Blocks East of I-75)
(313)368-7773

Trenai Strawter's Funeral will be held
on Saturday, January 15th, 2011 @ 11:00AM at:

New Jerusalem First Baptist Church
311 SE 1st St
Havana, FL 32333
(Right outside of Tallahassee, FL)
(850) 539-1155

*Right after the service we will proceed to the burial
*Dinner will be served in Havana, FL and family, frat & friends are invited

Send Flowers & Donations to:

Tillman Funeral Home
4006 Crawfordville Rd.
Tallahassee, FL 32305
(850) 942-1950

Once again thank you and the Psi Phi Chapter greatly appreciates all your support.

In L, F, & S
Brother Devonte V. White
Sprint PCS #9
Spring 2003
Tennessee State University
Psi Phi Chapter Alumni