Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, TSigmaSlay
» Online Users: 1,008
1 members and 1,007 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-09-2004, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Where do you want to see new chapters?

Where would you love to see new Chi Omega chapters start, or be re-chartered?

I would LOVE to see more Chi O chapters in California, specifically at USC, and UCSB, which both have big greek systems.
-M
Old 03-10-2004, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see more chapters in Wisconsin! There's only one here at UW, then at 2 private colleges in Kenosha and Waukesha! Also, I'd love to see Chi O at another big ten school U-Minn (or any MN school for that matter!).
Old 03-10-2004, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I want a Chi O chapter in NYC!!!!

Or at least at a school less than a 3 hour drive from here! Rutgers has a pretty big Greek system, but I don't think it's up for expanding anytime soon.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
i would love to see a chapter at any of the NYC schools - (i think NYU is the only one with a national greek system tho, right?). Any of the NJ schools would be great too - even if it was just one of the smaller state schools like william paterson or ramapo.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Kate-
Columbia has Greeks, too - AXO, DG and I think AEPhi at least.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by xo_kathy
Kate-
Columbia has Greeks, too - AXO, DG and I think AEPhi at least.
Please excuse the forum crash. Here's the lowdown on Columbia. They have ACW, DG, KAQ and SDT. 3 are housed in university owned brownstones, and ACW is not. I believe that total is 70, but I might be wrong. All 4 chapters are at total, and all 4 get there with the help of COB. Barnard College students make up about half of these chapters' memberships, as Barnard College is part of Columbia University. Their PanHel was not open for expansion as of August.

I'm trying to get my fraternity's chapter reestablished there, so I maintain a dialogue with the administration. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, Russel, thanks for the information! I had no idea the chapters are so big there! I am also surprised at the chapters they do have. I sort of figured since NYC is so liberal and all the chapters were more likely to be the "newer" NPCs (Phi Sig, DPhiE etc). Also, I say "newer" with a COMPLETE grain of salt! Seeing as almost all of us are at least 100 by now all our groups have amazing traditions and histories!

Well, if you ever hear of their Panhel opening for expansion, PLEASE let me know. We have 1500 registered alums in the NYC area (and that does NOT include Westchester/Putnam/CT!) so we definitely have the support!
Old 03-12-2004, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Your welcome. If you want more info on Columbia, contact Munchkin03. She is an Alpha Chi from Brown, is getting her masters degree at Columbia, and she helped the Columbia Alpha Chis during the most recent rush. Alpha Chi is the only unhoused sorority, but they were also the only ones who made quota, with the other three missing by just 1.

I can guarantee you that when the Columbia PanHel decides to expand, every NPC organization's eyes will open wide. It will be highly competitive. Of the sororities that joined the NPC in 1951, three were founded in Manhattan, and one of those (AEF)was founded at Barnard. Also, AOP was founded at Barnard. With Barnard a part of Columbia University, and with roughly half of today's women in the Columbia PanHel system from Barnard, those two sororities can make a reasonable claim that they are looking to reestablish their mother chapters. With the two national sororities who were founded there not yet selected, it seems like sentiment has not been given a top priority, and should bode well for Chi O. I'm sure that CQ will make a very strong presentation at that time.

When will they expand? I don't really know, but Alpha Chi being unhoused probably factors into this. I think that Alpha Chi wants a brownstone before they allow another group on. I don't know when that will happen.

In the meantime, I'd look at NYU, and I'd look at the 4 locals there to see if one is a good fit for Chi Omega.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

New York would be great! I know a few alums there myself that would like to see a chapter established.

ETA- Along with Columbia, I'd like to see Chi O edge their way into more top schools like MIT, Harvard and Yale. Unfortunately, none of those places have a need for new chapters, but it would be nice to see!

-Michelle

Last edited by XOMichelle; 03-17-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I also think at Harvard and Yale (don't know about MIT) that the Greek systems aren't recognized. I don't think our National would establish at a university where the Greek system is not a formal part of the university. That's just a wild guess on my part, though!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yale recognizes greek life, the Kappa chapter is registered with the Dean of Students. I think they have houses there too.

MIT recognizes greek life, there are 5 sororities with about 100 members each, and lots of frats. I met a AXO from MIT, and she told me some of the chapters have pretty brownstone houses.

As for Harvard, here's what I found on the website: "From time to time, undergraduates raise questions about their membership in non-Harvard organizations. It is important that students make well-informed decisions when considering membership in these organizations. In the case of some fraternities and sororities, students run a substantial risk of excessive time commitments, and academic work has been known to suffer. While fraternities and sororities may be recognized officially at other universities and in local towns, they are not permitted to conduct any activity at Harvard even though their activities involve Harvard undergraduates. This policy also applies to the " final clubs" in Cambridge."
So, while there are chapters, you are right, the University does not recognize them. Although god knows why they can have a University recognized Poker Club, but they can't have Kappa Alpha Theta. It is the same way at Princeton.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
i would love to see some in new york or connecticut!!! since im back on the east coast and looking for a school to do more undergrad at, it would be nice if there were a chapter somewhere close to home!!! until then the alum chapter is great for me to find chi omegas in ny!!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

national should feel luck to have so many women ready to support a chapter in CT or NYC!